Introducing The All-New 2021 Acura TLX - Type S - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      wow, it's beautiful.

I'd consider a Type-S in that Gold, with the red interior and black wheels. If it drives as good as it looks.

Them thicc boi quad exhausts though. Love that Acura is sticking it to the Germans & their chintzy fake exhausts on 100k cars... ridiculous!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maxeymum View Post
      A nice, thoughtful response BAO; I wouldn't mind getting back into a sedan like this, but while currently owning a small SUV and an Alltrack, if I can't throw a bike in the back, even with the front wheel off, I'm not too interested. I prefer not to use racks and would rather throw my bike inside the car. That's not to say it can't be done in a sedan -- I was able to fit a Fat bike in the back of an '02 Passat sedan with the front wheel off, but it's just a lot harder. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the only sedans that interest me anymore are sedans with a hatch like the Arteon, Stinger or A5, A7, though the latter two are a little out of my price range. Too bad really, this Acura looks like a hell of a car.
      Totally agree, why not even try to differentiate this. I could talk my wife into something with a hatch, but a sedan is a no-go.

The longer I stare the more tiny details start to disappoint. Can't put my finger on it exactly but Honda/Acura has this way of delivering the raw goods but failing on the total execution.

For example the heated/ventilated button row represent expected features in this segment. But Acura just sticks these buttons into slots without any sort of material surround or styling integration. Ditto dials and buttons on the center console next to driver.

Hell even BWM for all the gapping mouth and meh interior complaints manages better switch & button integration:

Nevermind the refreshed A4 & upcoming C redesign that really dial up the interior tech.

2021 TLX just screams 2021 Honda+ for better or worse IMO.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 05-28-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Interior ambiance looks inspired by the RDX's one..., feels much nicer than the outgoing TLX. I don't think overall it is merely 'Honda' level (although some details like the same transmission buttons).

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      MDX has a cult following with soccer moms, its not going anywhere
      The only people who buy Acura are the ones that already have an Acura. Which is probably good in terms of customer retention numbers, but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      The wait was very very long, it sounds like it was worth it. Some reserves for that dash, hopefully it is better in person.
      Agreed. The car is half-a-decade if not a decade too late. And at that price point, I'll take a cavics Type-R anyday.

Looks great. Can't say I've said that about an acura in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
      The only people who buy Acura are the ones that already have an Acura. Which is probably good in terms of customer retention numbers, but not much else.

Agreed. The car is half-a-decade if not a decade too late. And at that price point, I'll take a cavics Type-R anyday.
      As a return buyer i’ll agree lol. Problem for me is i see the type s as a “deal” vs the germans...which i have already given tons of thought for my car after this. By the time this is released, there will be the new S5 sb or get a deal on the old one or m340i. German car buyers at least here on TCL seem to flip flop...leaving audi for bmw or vice versa, but not loyal to a single brand like japanese car buyers (team honda vs toyota).
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

I think new 3 is the best in class interior, of course it's not without any quirks and illogical choices such as AC display between vents but A4 is really nothing special. It's sealed tight but that's about it, nothing special. C-class is for vent lovers and those who love German kitsch, comically over the top. Sure this Acura is notch below all three but it's not that bad, all they have to do is revise AC panel with less buttons and better plastic. Acura touch-pad is pretty good, very intuitive stuff.

If 22 year olds had money this would sell but everyone is broke today except for boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by redbluevette View Post
      If 22 year olds had money this would sell but everyone is broke today except for boomers.
      QFT. this is the real reason crossovers are overtaking sedans and small cars.

Millenials and Gen Z can't afford new cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      MDX has a cult following with soccer moms, its not going anywhere

How much of this TLX goes into an MDX
      Peps love the RDX right meow
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post

How much of this TLX goes into an MDX
      Peps love the RDX right meow
      just using current gen as a comparison the MDX is superior in materials and build vs the TLX, so hopefully the MDX is even better? I kept trying to get the service guys to give me the RDX but they were always out

So my experience is showroom only waiting for my oil change or whatever. And to me the materials and design were great. I expect a slight learning curve for the infotainment, but if you have half a brain it shouldn't take more than 10mins to get used to it. The buttons they've added are all the ones that you need anyway so I dont get the complaints about that for the new TLX
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

Decently powerful 2.0T, 10AT, and SH-AWD and double wishbone suspension? Not bad. Sedan version of the RDX.

Exterior looks fine, restrained, but should age well.

I really liked the interior of the RDX when I saw it at the auto show. Felt special, different, unique. Yeah the touch pad probably sucks to use, but I bet you find ways to deal wiht it after some time. I think I could manage, it doesn't look as bad as the Lexus system.

This would make a great dad car. Not sure I'd take it over the RDX though.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

i like the exterior, love the interior; but like the camry, at almost 16ft long, it's far too long for me, and won't ever even be on my radar.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      Decently powerful 2.0T, 10AT, and SH-AWD and double wishbone suspension? Not bad. Sedan version of the RDX.

Exterior looks fine, restrained, but should age well.

I really liked the interior of the RDX when I saw it at the auto show. Felt special, different, unique. Yeah the touch pad probably sucks to use, but I bet you find ways to deal wiht it after some time. I think I could manage, it doesn't look as bad as the Lexus system.

This would make a great dad car. Not sure I'd take it over the RDX though.
      yeah and someone here said it too already. For the 2.0T guys they'll probably justify the RDX more easily than the TLX version. And if you need more room/power the TypeS MDX with the 3.0T is more useful than a TLX TypeS for families. Although the MDX 3.0T is at minimum a year away from the TLX Type S so 2022 at the earliest

Looks fantastic! Was worried they would water down the styling a lot compared to the concept, but they nailed it.

This is top of the list to replace my Murica Mobile next year. Love the SS but my auto ADD is starting to kick in after 5 years and kind of want to get back into something with AWD.

Hopefully the Type S pricing is reasonable.

I... I like it.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Finally, after more than a decade they have come up with a worthy successor to the legendary 07-08 TL Type S

I'm betting the Type S will go for +$40k CAD though which is going to be a hard sell, especially in these times....I'm praying these things drop quick in a few years lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      I'm betting the Type S will go for +$40k CAD though which is going to be a hard sell, especially in these times....I'm praying these things drop quick in a few years lol.
      yeah? you bet the turbo AWD high test version of a brand new car is going to cost at least as much as the current base model? where'd you get that crystal ball there?

Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      yeah? you bet the turbo AWD high test version of a brand new car is going to cost at least as much as the current base model? where'd you get that crystal ball there?
      LOL, to be fair, I have no idea what the TL actually goes for but wow, didn't know they started at $40k...

Acura sedans have been a low ranking with consumers for years. One month of YouTube reviewers talking about fun will translate into 12 sales.

Finally, after more than a decade they have come up with a worthy successor to the legendary 07-08 TL Type S

$40K will probably be the base price up there

I could see the Type-S being $60K for Canadians
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      $40K will probably be the base price up there

I could see the Type-S being $60K for Canadians
      Yea, I was shocked to see the current base starting at $40k, which is legitimately a Honda+.

Wonder how this will sell, there's a few factors that are going against a car like this:

• Recession
      • SUV/CUV more in demand
      • BMW Pricing for an "Acura"

I obviously can't afford this car even in the base trim but maybe with these factors we'll be seeing heavy dealer discounts in a couple years? This really does seem like the perfect car for me (I'd love a manuel but can't win them all).

Yea, I was shocked to see the current base starting at $40k, which is legitimately a Honda+.

Wonder how this will sell, there's a few factors that are going against a car like this:

• Recession
      • SUV/CUV more in demand

I obviously can't afford this car even in the base trim but maybe with these factors we'll be seeing heavy dealer discounts in a couple years? This really does seem like the perfect car for me (I'd love a manuel but can't win them all).
      Affordability is a spectrum. MSRPs on BMWs are almost irrelevant as the majority of them are leased. So if Acura plays that game and your driving fits within the mileage constraints, maybe it could work.

But honestly, if your '94 Prelude is your current ride, a 10-15 year old TL Type-S will feel like a brand new car. Everything is relative.

As for this thing's success, I think it will do well in the long term. Def better than letting the current TLX languish, which frankly wasn't super competitive 5 years ago. I think Honda is better positioned to weather the storm than a lot of its competitors in this space, so I could definitely see this taking market share away from competitors who either close up shop or don't have the money/will for updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Dude. It's not. Just stop.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast