Introducing The All-New 2021 Acura TLX - Type S - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      I would rather pay the Arteon's money for this.
      ||||||||||||||
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This car is pretty hot and it maintains its unique honda-ness inside and out which some such as myself find appealing. Someone tell Genesis that this is how you design an entry in this segment that doesn't look like a generic car from grand theft auto.

Im a fan. I wonder what MSRP will be.

Very nice the design language is much better than Acuras of the past! The dash is busy but this is very promising, especially the type S
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

Quote Originally Posted by OMGK20 View Post
      Im a fan. I wonder what MSRP will be.
      (Courtesy of TOVTEC) Clip from a dealer presentation on 2021 TLX model positioning.

Looks like the new 3.6T model will come in two flavors and positioned above the base 2.0T tech trim. Looking at the current TLX the SH-AWD A-Spec trim costs $44,800. Assuming a new model price bump + SH-AWD the Type-S will probably cost somewhere between $46K - $52K.

I can see Acura shooting for just under $50K.

Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 06-07-2020 at 11:11 AM.

I am curious why people are so much more positive about the exterior design of this vs the outgoing generation. I thought the exterior of the outgoing refreshed generation was great too. This is just a continuous improvement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      I am curious why people are so much more positive about the exterior design of this vs the outgoing generation. I thought the exterior of the outgoing refreshed generation was great too. This is just a continuous improvement.

Personally i liked the refresh, but people mainly hated on it due to the outdated tech and powertrain issues. Honestly the NA v6 with a DCT wouldve been enough, but they didnt want to beef up the 8DCT and im guessing the nsx’s was bespoke and couldnt trickle down. They also had the hybrid only 7dct...so acura had access the 3 different dcts and still somehow decided that the zf9 was good enough
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post

Personally I'm not a fan of the C-pillar treatment on either car, and while I like the prestige gap of the new car, outside of that the exterior is meh. It's nowhere near as beautiful as the damn near Italian 04-08 TL or the 91-95 Legend. The headline story here is the new hardware, which looks really good.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      Personally i liked the refresh, but people mainly hated on it due to the outdated tech and powertrain issues. Honestly the NA v6 with a DCT wouldve been enough, but they didnt want to beef up the 8DCT and im guessing the nsx’s was bespoke and couldnt trickle down. They also had the hybrid only 7dct...so acura had access the 3 different dcts and still somehow decided that the zf9 was good enough
      I owned a 2018 up til not too long ago. I think the zf9 wasn’t too bad, especially in the sport/sport plus modes. But yes, the infotainment was hot garbage, even with CarPlay.

Based on the interior images - I’m not certain this new edition would address the qualms I had with the interior. I still prefer the current gen Accord interior by a country mile. But the suspension and engine upgrades would certainly be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tejlab View Post
      This car is pretty hot and it maintains its unique honda-ness inside and out which some such as myself find appealing. Someone tell Genesis that this is how you design an entry in this segment that doesn't look like a generic car from grand theft auto.
      Someone tell Honda that this classy design language should be used on ALL their cars. The Civic Type R for example is such a great vehicle hampered by designers that watch WAAAAY too much anime.

Lexus knew their IS is inferior??

https://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus-po...ere-of-new-is/
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      (Courtesy of TOVTEC) Clip from a dealer presentation on 2021 TLX model positioning.

Looks like the new 3.6T model will come in two flavors and positioned above the base 2.0T tech trim. Looking at the current TLX the SH-AWD A-Spec trim costs $44,800. Assuming a new model price bump + SH-AWD the Type-S will probably cost somewhere between $46K - $52K.

I can see Acura shooting for just under $50K.

I believe you are interpreting that incorrectly, likely because its super confusing.
      I believe that is trying to say as a "performance" sector, the A spec will share bits from the Type S to make it look cool.
      A-spec is like S-line for Audi.
      Last edited by GTijoejoe; 06-08-2020 at 09:13 AM.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

I wonder if this will lead to an RDX Type-S? That seems like a more appropriate vehicle for the new engine in today's car market.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      I wonder if this will lead to an RDX Type-S? That seems like a more appropriate vehicle for the new engine in today's car market.
      I'd put my money on it.

Hey anyone else notice that the 2.0T has some kind of VTEC but there is no mention of the 3.0T V6 having VTEC?

That kind of sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Hey anyone else notice that the 2.0T has some kind of VTEC but there is no mention of the 3.0T V6 having VTEC?

That kind of sucks.
      Hot-V turbo setup with VTC=enough powerband flexibility without VTEC?

As a 2.0T/10A Accord owner, the 2.0T cars will probably be a great buy as well. Probably can get into a SH-AWD 2.0T for less than 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

That kind of sucks.
      On the CTR, the 2.0T has exhaust side VTEC only. Not much point to it on the intake side with FI. It'd be a shame if the 3.0T didn't have it. It really helps the engine not fall on its face just shy of redline like the VAG 2.0T's and my old MZR 2.3T did.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Very interested in the Type S.

My only real qualms are as follows:

1) I wish it had a dual-clutch transmission available, or something other than a slush-box. I know that modern automatics are better . . . but I still don't like them.

2) I am curious how the FWD-based SH-AWD will feel, drive, and perform compared to its BMW and Mercedes competition.

3) I hope that Honda actually knocks this out of the park. I hope the 3.0T puts out 400+hp. This would slate it (at least on paper) above the BMW M340i and Mercedes C43. My god it would be refreshing if Acura actually produced a class-leading car on something other than price and reliability!
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      On the CTR, the 2.0T has exhaust side VTEC only. Not much point to it on the intake side with FI. It'd be a shame if the 3.0T didn't have it. It really helps the engine not fall on its face just shy of redline like the VAG 2.0T's and my old MZR 2.3T did.
      With the HP being greater than the torque it's pretty much guaranteed that this thing will have top end rip. I wouldn't worry about it
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      3) I hope that Honda actually knocks this out of the park. I hope the 3.0T puts out 400+hp. This would slate it (at least on paper) above the BMW M340i and Mercedes C43. My god it would be refreshing if Acura actually produced a class-leading car on something other than price and reliability!
      eeeeeeeeeee setting yourself up for disappointment.

What about the Audi S4 range, what if it beats that?
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

More image leaks (source) - Probably from an upcoming Acura commercial.

From another thread on TOVTEC, supposedly this is the A-Spec version:

Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 06-14-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here’s a nice video of the interior,. Not the Type S, or even A-Spec, but it gives a better feel than the pics.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...C0ucq-y-cCbGSj

I really like it, i'm sure Acura is living in their dream world and it'll lease out in the $400+ range though... which means no one will actually get one
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2019 VW Atlas SEL | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD |2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed MT Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed MT | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed MT | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed MTl | 2001 Honda Accord

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Thanks for that video. It helped me realize why I like the design of this car because I couldn’t really put my finger it.

At first glance, it looks like a mild evolution of the current TLX. Then I looked a little closer and a little longer and yeah, it’s wider and lower and has a longer hood line. That’s nice, but where it really evolved is in the corners and edges. They’re tidy and clean when viewed at an angle. No, odd-jutting bits and pieces that draw the eye and look out of place. It’s very Audi-esque, while not being too conservative overall (which is my chief criticism of current Audis).

Someone here referred to current Japanese car design as “futuristic origami” and that phrase really nailed it. Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, and Honda/Acura have been going down that path for the last 10-15 years and the results have been poor to not-offensive, IMO.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      eeeeeeeeeee setting yourself up for disappointment.

What about the Audi S4 range, what if it beats that?
      Audi S4 is a direct competitor to the M340i and C43. All three of those cars are hugely underrated, and all produce in excess of 400hp at the crank. All of them frequently dyno (at the wheels!) more horsepower than their stock CRANK rating, bone stock.

Honda tends to rate its turbo engines far more accurately (but still a bit conservatively).

Nonetheless, the same horsepower/displacement as the accord 2.0T will give you more than 400hp in the new 3.0T. So it's not totally crazy or anything.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast