New 2021 Lexus IS will premiere on June 9 - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Yeah I am having trouble understanding how this is a completely new generation. However, this is possibly the best implementation of the predator grille yet, although I personally don't have a problem with the general concept outside of the horrendous SUVs. The light bar at the back is a tad much from certain angles, but overall looks good. If you liked the last car, you will love this.

That interior looks...... the.... same? Again, I already liked the outgoing gen inside and out a lot so I may be biased, but don't break what ain't broke. The big V6 option was always a strong powertrain and this still remains a solid option if you want a luxurious car with all the bells and whistles in this size but with a bit of power.
      Did someone say that this was a "completely new generation"?

It's more of a "let's celebrate being the last car sold in first world nations to get Apple Carplay" refresh, which I think is pretty big actually. A new touchscreen that mitigates the Achilles' heel infotainment is big too. The fact that the current top powertrain is slower than the German 4 poppers isn't that important IMO. People buy this for the reliability rep and the Japanese-ness.

The IS will continue to be a solid used car, but this update may improve its appeal as a new car too.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I like the new look, but it still needs more motor + wheelbase and less touchpad. But it's a step in the right direction and probably a prudent level of investment given where the sport sedan market is. 3/4 series sales were down by over half before COVID.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

I agree that this will be a pretty good used buy down the road, but I hope they improved the MPG's somehow.

Real-world MPG's on the 3.5 V6 isn't great.

Same platform, same wheelbase, which means same tight back seat?
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

I really like that interior treatment. I'll have to wait to see it "in the flesh" to determine whether the exterior sheetmetal improves the lazy redesign from the previous generation, but it looks better in photos.

I recently bought a 2020 and was a little worried I would feel some buyers remorse when the new model came out. Looking at this, strangely I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      I’m sure enough people will go for the IS by virtue of its higher spec of options, more exciting design, and good ol’ Toyota reliability.
      This nails exactly why I bought one to a T. I wanted a car I would be comfortable driving for 10 years and not be worried about having frequent costly repairs. Lexus offering 0% financing on new was the cream to top it off.
      Last edited by mrksingh; 06-15-2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
      2002 IS300 Manual | 2015 Sienna Ltd AWD | 2020 IS300 F Sport AWD

Much improved proportions over the previous design

does this have a trackpad based infotainment or does it allow you to use a touchscreen?

Eh. This doesn't get much of a reaction out of me. Not much to see here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Eh. This doesn't get much of a reaction out of me. Not much to see here.
      yea i dont get the excitement apart from finally fixing the predator face just as its about to go for the full redesign anyway.

No ISF is a show stopper also, which leaves the IS500 which i doubt will be cheaper than the TypeS.

Well guys for those of you who thought the new TLX is too big but also want to spend more money on something NOT german, here's your car lol
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Same platform, same wheelbase, which means same tight back seat?
      Yes, you are 100% correct. Beside that dangerous infotainment system, it is also not a comfortable sedan for rear passengers. IS has rear headroom/shoulder room/legroom of a SUBcompact CUV.

As for good used car, I take the highly depreciating Acura RLX over IS (similarly priced for similar condition)
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Doesn't excite me, but it looks better than the previous gen.

I think all of the Japanese manufacturers need to pool their resources together and create one, fantastic infotainment platform, and then each can tailor it slightly for their own needs and brands. Much like Ford and GM teamed up on the 10AT.

Wasn't the 2006–2013 XV40 and 2011–2019 XV50 Camry also basically the same car with different skins? They had the same wheelbase, width, height, drive train and both were built on the K platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom21 View Post
      I like how it looks, despite its ancient powertrains.

The nose is... a Lexus. Shrug.

Yeesh. Rear view, not so good. Kinda heavy looking with the area above the light bar.

I like that upswept lower body line that rises right before the rear wheel opening. A lot, actually.

I continue to really like Lexus interiors. I’m really not sure what it is, but it looks clean without any overt gimmicks. Would drive.
      Last edited by MylesPH1; 06-15-2020 at 05:52 PM.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

Quote Originally Posted by vb22 View Post
      Wasn't the 2006–2013 XV40 and 2011–2019 XV50 Camry also basically the same car with different skins? They had the same wheelbase, width, height, drive train and both were built on the K platform.
      Yes, I think the Corolla went for a similar stretch of time mechanically unchanged.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Better, but not a solid hit. It still has some awkward and unrefined styling elements.

I’d consider the new TLX over this, which is saying something since I’d rather have RWD over AWD 9 out of 10 times.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

Oh to be the fly on the wall at Lexus dealer meetings where someone mentions the RAV4 Prime is quicker to 60 than their new sports sedan.

As someone who absolutely despises the predator grille, this is better executed than the 4-Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom21 View Post
      Oh to be the fly on the wall at Lexus dealer meetings where someone mentions the RAV4 Prime is quicker to 60 than their new sports sedan.
      The old V6 RAV4 was faster than the IS250

Plus sport sedan sales are in the garbage here so you can't blame Toyota for holding back here. I'd bet all the money the internet wanted to go to this will go into the next NX instead. I'm not even going to bother to think of what I wish they had done here because I know I'd never buy one anyway.

Since everyone kept posting on here I just updated my OP with the press release and HD photos.

https://pressroom.lexus.com/2021-lex...g-performance/

I really like it. I think it looks far better than the 3/4 series (not saying much at this point). Only thing I don't like is the fog light area vent, but that's a pretty small nitpick.

I also really like Lexus's current interior design. Solid car for the segment iMO.

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Damn, I didn’t realize how “slow” this car is for having 311 horsepower. Recent test of a 2020 F-Sport:

Our car made merely a decent showing with its straight-line acceleration, running to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and pushing through the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 100 mph. That's plenty quick for the average driver, but the IS's competition accelerates much better. Our long-term BMW M340i hotfoots to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and blasts through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds. A Genesis G70 with its optional twin-turbo 3.3-liter V-6 needs 4.4 and 13.0 seconds in the same measurements.
      https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Slower then my A4 Quattro with 252 horsepower

Looks good imo.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast