VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1.8T swap corrado - is the fuel pump meant to prime when the key is on ACC?

11K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jettag60 
#1 ·
as stated, is the fuel pump meant to prime when the key is turned to ACC? i know it did originally

the reason i ask, is mine is not priming. I powered the pump directly (at the pump) and it works fine. It's new so i wanted to double check.

the other reason i want clarification is the builder of my swap harness states that the pump will not prime when the key is on ACC, only once fully turned over? is this true? is this a mk4 thing?

i did search but i'm not getting any clarification as to WHEN the pump should prime. lots of info on jumping the relay etc.

if i jump the relay with the key on ACC, and the pump primes, is that an indication that the relay is bad OR am i just bypassing the signal from the ECU to tell the relay to send power?

with the key on ACC i did test and plug at the pump and i'm getting around 8V. (this is testing the two outside wires, brown and a red/yellow? if i remember correctly) bad relay not sending 12v back to the pump?

#5 ·
well figured i'd update this for anyone else that might come across this thread.

so idiot me :banghead::banghead: didn't have the ECU to a good enough ground (had to wire wheel some paint for a good contact) and she fired right up..for a second

once i fixed the ground, the pump primed just like it used to with the key on ACC

got 90% the cooling system figured out

need to get the ECU immo defeat and flash done to really hear it run

new plugs ready to go in once it's going.

where have you guys mounted the ECU?

i was staring a the engine bay for a while yesterday and rerouting the harness to try to get it to all fit through the factory hole in the cowel where the G60 ecu is mounted. I'll keep working at it.

#4 ·
I'll just keep posting my new issues/questions in this thread...

- turned the car over quite a bit yesterday in an attempt to get it to fire, nothing
- pulled a couple plugs and noticed no fuel in the cylinder
- tested a plug (grounded out to valve cover while cranking) and noticed no spark
- pull the fuel supply hose and put it into a jar, turned the motor over for a bit and fuel did start coming out so i know the pump is working (see thread above) so that should eliminate a possible cause for not fuel to the cylinders

how/what can i test/check to make sure that 1) the injectors are getting the signal to open. how can i check for continuity or power to the ECU/or themselves? 2) to make sure i should be getting spark. seems odd both aren't working

i have an older ODB2 scanner that i'll connect to see if there's any codes....which i'm sure there will be alot since i deleted all the EVAP stuff

***Grounds for the engine. I have the ECU grounded, the coil harness ground to the valve cover, and i have the starter back to the motor (going off memory, pretty sure it's a lug right at the starter plug in, i assume i have it right since the starter is working fine). can someone confirm if this is all correct or if i'm missing something. from searching all i find are ECU, coil, and engine/tranny
http://web.mit.edu/dennis/www/vw/grounds.html

any chance the FPR wouldn't be opening/operating if the brake booster nipple on the IM is open? i wouldn't think so but who knows?
any chance the car wouldn't fuel/spark without the MAP sensor plugged in? the searching i found showed this shouldn't be the case?