Cleveland Cars & Coffee: Surprisingly Excellent
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleveland Cars & Coffee: Surprisingly Excellent

I left my house about 7:00 this morning and headed for Cleveland. After a stop for gas and to take some pictures, I arrived at the location for the C&C about 8:30, so a little early. I mostly shot on film today but won't get to the darkroom for a few days, so enjoy some ****e cell phone pics.

Note, I didn't take any photos of the exotic stuff, as I just don't care. There were a bunch of Huracans, F430s, F488s, GT-Rs, an Aventador (I think), a Merc something that looks like a ****, and some other modern stuff that just doesn't interest me all that much. If there had been a Diablo, I would have been all over it. I'm a 90s kid.

Too many Subarus, Focuses, and Mustangs. Also, the redneck demographic couldn't help themselves from sending it upon exit. Really too bad, honestly. So many near misses. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a crash after I left as 3/4 of the field still had yet to leave.

Here are some of my favs.

My M3 sedan with a turbo M3 in Dakar and a super fresh 997 Turbo. That thing was absolutely perfect. The 930 in the background will show up again.

So much want:

This is my dream car:

A very period FB

S-Car go swiftly, 150:

This is for sale at $18,000 OBO and I'm finding it tempting.

I didn't know I needed this, but I do:

Much of the show was pricey stuff, but I'm a loser so I don't care:

This brought me joy:

Why would someone put these wheels on this?

Caterham contingent and a Cappuccino:

Lovely 325i:

Oh god.

There were five or six Vipers.

This 540-6 was so sweet:

MKII gang is getting to be middle-aged. I was once part of this club. I love this example:

A huge showing. Hundreds of cars:

This ratty 911 was just wonderful:

This has got to be the last surviving Accord of this generation in this condition in the rust belt.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing!

Gen. 1 997s have aged superbly well.

Awesome

Thanks for the pics, my faves are the red RX7 and the slate grey Subie hatch

Why was no one wearing a mask or practicing social distancing?????

Nice MK2. How much does one in that condition sell for?

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post

Why would someone put these wheels on this?

Yokohama AVS Model 5. Very nice and period correct for the NSX, they might have been NSX specific for a while too.

Quote Originally Posted by modular View Post
      Yeah over here that stuff is getting worse, not better.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

S Cargo - very cool!
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Thanks for sharing!

Gen. 1 997s have aged superbly well.
      Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Thanks for the pics, my faves are the red RX7 and the slate grey Subie hatch
      That Subaru was super popular and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by modular View Post
      These aren't a smart people.

Quote Originally Posted by bubuski View Post
      Nice MK2. How much does one in that condition sell for?
      ANywhere from $3500.00 to $10,000 as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotemo View Post
      Yokohama AVS Model 5. Very nice and period correct for the NSX, they might have been NSX specific for a while too.
      Awesome. Thanks for the info! They just looked a little ungainly in person, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Yeah over here that stuff is getting worse, not better.
      No one wears masks in Ohio or Western PA it seems. I'm an outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      S Cargo - very cool!
      The dude who owns it was awesome, too.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Thanks for sharing.
      Anytime!

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Looks like a blast! I too love the older stuff that has survived and not the new expensive stuff. Thanks for sharing.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Thanks for sharing, but its silly how 'normal' everyone seems to be behaving. Our C&C events have been cancelled; and as much as it sucks (I love getting up early on a Sunday morning, no joke) I probably wouldn't attend even if they did have it given the crowds they attract.

I think I made it out to one C&C in Cleveland before I moved back to WI; back when C&C were somewhat new. We had maybe 15 cars. Times have changed, for the better (minus the idiots trying to kill people on the way out).

Quote Originally Posted by deftonesfan867 View Post
      Ohio makes me wanna punch babies.

1990 300ZX TT, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Volvo V70 2.5T, 2002 Jetta TDI, 1997 Golf GTI Truck - RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Looks like a blast! I too love the older stuff that has survived and not the new expensive stuff. Thanks for sharing.
      Thanks! I take what I can get out here in terms of car events that aren't all Corvettes, Mustangs and redcaps.

Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post
      Thanks for sharing, but its silly how 'normal' everyone seems to be behaving. Our C&C events have been cancelled; and as much as it sucks (I love getting up early on a Sunday morning, no joke) I probably wouldn't attend even if they did have it given the crowds they attract.

I think I made it out to one C&C in Cleveland before I moved back to WI; back when C&C were somewhat new. We had maybe 15 cars. Times have changed, for the better (minus the idiots trying to kill people on the way out).
      It was a bit wild how folks were acting. I felt like a weirdo for always keep a distance from people and largely wearing a mask if I had to interact at anything closer than ten feet. I left early as it was getting too crowded and it was making me uncomfortable.

They've been trying to get C&C going again here in Cleveland for a few months; the city kept shutting it down before it could happen due to COVID concerns. Looks like a change to the venue might have helped as the old spot was a crowded Starbucks parking lot. I took my Forza-loving nephew and my Scirocco to the Starbucks C&C last year and loved it. Met the guy (Gus) who owns that MK2 GLI. Nice guy; he also has a minty Corrado.

Your pictures confirm why I'm going to continue to avoid events like this: too many lax people. A close friend just recovered from COVID and my Forza-loving nephew's uncle just died from it. Cleveland-proper and the surrounding suburbs are taking masks seriously, but as you get away from the inner-ring, masks are more spotty. No thank you, not taking the chance.

I didn't know I needed this, but I do:
      Well there you go

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9AM...expedition-xlt
      Slow Car Fast

Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      They've been trying to get C&C going again here in Cleveland for a few months; the city kept shutting it down before it could happen due to COVID concerns. Looks like a change to the venue might have helped as the old spot was a crowded Starbucks parking lot. I took my Forza-loving nephew and my Scirocco to the Starbucks C&C last year and loved it. Met the guy (Gus) who owns that MK2 GLI. Nice guy; he also has a minty Corrado.

Your pictures confirm why I'm going to continue to avoid events like this: too many lax people. A close friend just recovered from COVID and my Forza-loving nephew's uncle just died from it. Cleveland-proper and the surrounding suburbs are taking masks seriously, but as you get away from the inner-ring, masks are more spotty. No thank you, not taking the chance.
      Yeah, it was alarming. A week later now, and I really worry about the fact that I went. I don't know why I thought folks would be more responsible. I am glad that it wasn't protest-levels of density and that, if one wanted, they could be further away from folks, but still, not a brilliant crowd. Being outside has been proven to decrease transmission, but that doesn't mean it's 100% obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Ok, maybe not that exact one as it's way worse in person than in photos. I'm still going to bid if it stays reasonable. My wife won't be delighted.

I know this is likely enhanced by angle and shadow, but that back wheel/tire looks REALLY off.

This guy may live close to me; saw him tear through a left hand turn near my house at a decent clip a few weeks ago. The fender-mounted mirrors got my attention even from a distance.

makes me miss my 79 RX7. I loved that car. I am continually surprised that early RX7s haven't been appreciated like Zs

This is my dream car:
      We're in total agreement. Lovely. Older cars are far more exciting but maybe we're getting old.

I thought I'd update this with today's event. There were ton of amazing cars including Mclarens, dozens of Ferraris, and a lot full off quirky stuff, but these were the highlights for me.

The Diablo is probably my all-time dream car, and sadly, likely out of reach.

Sorry about the quality of this image. I was leaving as this was arriving so this is out my sunroof.

This is an original owner Integra, and it was parked among supercars and hypercars. Good stuff.

I forgot to take any photos of my car, but here is an EVO VII in front of it. Two of the 90s greatest 4-doors.

Pristine:

Metaphor?

And the highlight of the show other than the Diablo. At least in my opinion. I'm now a believer and I need to one day own a Black Series.

That CLK Black looks awesome. My car was my own "achievable" version of this dream and I guarantee you would not regret it! Hehe.

Seen Through Glass recently drove one and was surprise how well it held up in terms of performance and drivability. The only thing that is kinda dated on these cars performance wise is the transmission and, even then, its a bit overblown in reviews. The transmission is pretty aggressive in S mode.
      Current: 2010 W204 C63
      Past: 2x MK7 Golf GTI, 1x MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI, 1x MK6 Jetta GLI

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven7 View Post
      That CLK Black looks awesome. My car was my own "achievable" version of this dream and I guarantee you would not regret it! Hehe.

Seen Through Glass recently drove one and was surprise how well it held up in terms of performance and drivability. The only thing that is kinda dated on these cars performance wise is the transmission and, even then, its a bit overblown in reviews. The transmission is pretty aggressive in S mode.
      Yeah, that thing was absolutely unreal. I wish I had taken more photos of it. Your 204 seems like 85% of the fun for 1/4 the price. Good call!

The modifications to the Z8 were a bit unfortunate, but it was still a lovely shape. I hadn't seen one in probably ten years ad it is as striking now as it was when new.

But that Diablo - minus the horrible chrome on the wheels - was staggering.

Lastly, I'm always shocked by the response to my silly little sedan. I had about ten people stop me to talk about it which was really wonderful. Mostly older guys who were obviously succesful and had one back in the day. One woman spent about fifteen minutes with it. She had one in college and she was visibly emotional. I'm glad that it brings some folks joy.

It seems Cleveland continues to struggle with the concept of masks.

Thanks for sharing, these are great!

I love this...

I'd happily drive an "ugly" old 911 that was well sorted under the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      I know this is likely enhanced by angle and shadow, but that back wheel/tire looks REALLY off.
      Sadly, that is a thing with Land Rovers of that vintage. I believe the leaves compress to the rear as they move up, which is why it's like that. But most of the lift kits address it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast