Another reason to get an EV - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I think it's called getting old.

It sure was a lot less draining to drive around all day when I was 25...
      I hear that. There's a reason I pine for a Lexus LS for a road tripper/semi-daily driver.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      So, after a couple of hours enjoying my districts many winding country roads, stopping frequently to jump for a shot or two, I headed home.

On my way home I reflected on how I felt no fatigue, I've done this many times before with the Lotus and other cars, and have always experienced these trip as energy draining. Now I felt in much better shape, just like I did when I took the previous Model 3 to the track. I suspect it has something to do with the effortlessness of EVs, and how they operate. It literary takes no effort, jump in the car, pull a lever, and off you go. No noise, no vibrations, nothing like that. It's great if I'm honest.
      That's nonsense. Any number of gasoline cars can do this...
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I’ve been in some quiet ICE cars, but nothing powered by gas could be as quiet and vibration feee as an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I have nothing against EVs at all but it’s wierd to have a TCL thread fawning over a car because it’s so uninvolving.
      Yep.

Quite a thread you guys have going here.

I’ve got a couple hours of driving this afternoon in the Q5. I’m mentally preparing for the future fatigue, energy drain, lost keys, and excessive noise and vibration while going through yellow lights.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post

I’ve got a couple hours of driving this afternoon in the Q5. I’m mentally preparing for the future fatigue, energy drain, lost keys, and excessive noise and vibration while going through yellow lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post

The struggle ... is real!

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

I have nothing against EVs at all but it’s wierd to have a TCL thread fawning over a car because it’s so uninvolving.
      Is it now?

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I’ve been in some quiet ICE cars, but nothing powered by gas could be as quiet and vibration feee as an EV.
      You can't even tell the engine is running in my FIL's 2019 Tacoma. Their 2019 Tiguan is the same. You don't even hear or feel the engine start/stop at traffic lights.

In any modern car that's as expensive as the Model 3 you're not going to feel or hear the engine or drivetrain while cruising at highway speeds, at least over the road and wind noise.
      Last edited by Hostile; 06-14-2020 at 01:23 PM.
      iain

Is it now?
      it is!

This is a forum that's usually lamenting the loss of manual transmissions and cars with real feel and involvement. So this is the opposite, and I'm mildly amused by it.

Is it now?
      Well, you are comparing a 4 door family sedan to a Lotus. I am not surprised at all that the sedan is more comfortable and you are less fatigued after driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by BGTI1 View Post
      Well, you are comparing a 4 door family sedan to a Lotus. I am not surprised at all that the sedan is more comfortable and you are less fatigued after driving it.
      I've owned may other cars that the Lotus, that was just one of them.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      Being a car enthusiast is simply a state of mind. Most tesla owners aren't into cars, but they're very into teslas. There are a slew of tesla owners which actually know nothing about performance cars though. Other tesla owners is my least favorite part of owning a tesla.

Dawg - when did you get a white p3d? What happened to the blue one? I'd like to trade my red dual motor for a white on white p3d but I just can't do it. Too much money for no soul.
      The blue on was sold, at pretty much what I paid for it last autumn. Got the white a couple of weeks ago as I was made to expect an autumn delivery on our new blue one (order before price hike). Out of the ... blue, I got a message yesterday that I can get that late June. Meant to hold on to the white one till the new one arrived and then decide what to do. Now that plan needs to come to fruition much faster, or I'll need to see if Tesla can delay delivery, at least until after summer vacation.

In the meantime I've come to love it in white, so I might ask if they can match me with a new white one instead.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

I've owned may other cars that the Lotus, that was just one of them.
      Yeah but you have to compare similar cars. I have ridden in both a Fiat 500e and a Lexus ES (both new) and there was no comparison between the two. The Lexus was much more comfortable and quieter. The choice of powertrain made no difference.

So there you have it, another contrived reason to get an EV.

con·trived
      deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
      created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic

Seems accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by silverxt View Post

con·trived
      deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
      created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic

Seems accurate.
      Of course it is.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

If only the Chevy Bolt had decent seats, and setting up a home charging system at my home weren't a nigh impossible task.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      If only the Chevy Bolt had decent seats, and setting up a home charging system at my home weren't a nigh impossible task.
      Bolt seats aren't that bad if you're skinny since they added more foam to the bottoms in 2018.

Single family home? Do it now for resale value. I DIYed a 100' run for two cars using $200 in materials aside from the 6-gauge cable I had lying around.

Multifamily housing with an HOA? May God have mercy on your soul

Quote Originally Posted by toucci View Post
      Bolt seats aren't that bad if you're skinny since they added more foam to the bottoms in 2018.

Single family home? Do it now for resale value. I DIYed a 100' run for two cars using $200 in materials aside from the 6-gauge cable I had lying around.

Multifamily housing with an HOA? May God have mercy on your soul
      The 2020 Bolt driver's seat still sucks.

And yes, a condo with an HOA.
      Besides the nigh-impossible to obtain indemnity insurance policy I would need to float (since electrical conduit would be crossing three feet of Common Area), the electrical equipment upgrades necessary wouldn't be worth it, even after all the state, local and utility rebates.

Until infrastructure catches up - i.e. quick charge at most gas stations - no EV or PHEV for me.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Model 3 is way more comfortable and less tiring than a Lotus. Agreed.

But I bet the comfort of the Model 3 is not appreciably more than a modern CamCord for instance.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by BGTI1 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Model 3 is way more comfortable and less tiring than a Lotus. Agreed.

But I bet the comfort of the Model 3 is not appreciably more than a modern CamCord for instance.
      These ^^

I think OP is attributing the general comfort of what happens to be a comfortable car to the fact that it is an EV. It's not more comfortable than a Lotus because it's an EV...
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      These ^^

I think OP is attributing the general comfort of what happens to be a comfortable car to the fact that it is an EV. It's not more comfortable than a Lotus because it's an EV...
      No, no matter how insulated the drive train is, it will never reach the the comfort levels of an EV. If you think otherwise, why do you think Lexus first attempted to eliminate gear shifts on their Hybrids and only adding them synthetically later because people (read: luddites) couldn't get used to it. And let's not pretend no one has ever complained about automatic transmission with 8 to 10 gears that never can quite decide where to go next (or stay for that matter), shuffling between gears in the process. That would drive me mad now that I'm used to nothing of the sort.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Hey, its as exciting as an elevator ride!

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      No, no matter how insulated the drive train is, it will never reach the the comfort levels of an EV. If you think otherwise, why do you think Lexus first attempted to eliminate gear shifts on their Hybrids and only adding them synthetically later because people (read: luddites) couldn't get used to it. And let's not pretend no one has ever complained about automatic transmission with 8 to 10 gears that never can quite decide where to go next (or stay for that matter), shuffling between gears in the process. That would drive me mad now that I'm used to nothing of the sort.
      Sure an EV is “slightly smoother” than a reasonably good family sedan or near-luxury sedan, but does it really make that much difference in terms of driver fatigue? Ima say no dawg.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      The 2020 Bolt driver's seat still sucks.

And yes, a condo with an HOA.
      Besides the nigh-impossible to obtain indemnity insurance policy I would need to float (since electrical conduit would be crossing three feet of Common Area), the electrical equipment upgrades necessary wouldn't be worth it, even after all the state, local and utility rebates.

Until infrastructure catches up - i.e. quick charge at most gas stations - no EV or PHEV for me.
      I'm 250 and 6'2 but not sure I see an issue with the seat on the Bolt. It's thin compared to what I'm used to but I don't really ever get uncomfortable in it.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast