VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

engine temp fluctuation

871 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  findalex 
#1 ·
quick question. i just bought a 2013 golf r and was coming back from a road trip yesterday and noticed a fluctuation in my temp. it usually sits right at 190 degrees. but jumped slowly unto 220-225. ( i was doing 85-90 for long distance with air temp around 90 outside) i slowed down to 75 and them temp went back to 190... sped up again and after about 15 miles it started climbing. i dont feel like this car should be having any problems driving at 85mph for hours on end but with the manual it is at around 3500 RPM. any thoughts? problem or is this normal?

#2 ·
Not normal. Especially at those speeds. On my mk5, mk6, and mk7 I've never had the temp go above the halfway point. 225 is not dangerous for an engine, but the mk5/mk6 era cars it should not go up that high on the gauge unless there is a problem. Have you checked the coolant? I would bet it is low and you have a leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.