VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

make your bumpers great again...installing new chrome trim on OE bumpers

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  eurojettanut 
#1 ·
so, your car is all set up..only thing you look at is the broken, perished,yellowed bumper trim.

DSC00420 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

DSC00421 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

DSC00422 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

i use a putty knife to remove the old trim

DSC00424 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

just work your way under the trim and rip it outDSC00425 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

then i use a stiff brush to clean up the grooves

DSC00427 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

this is the new trim

DSC00428 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

profile shot of trim

DSC00429 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

i use an adjustable !!! heatgun to softem them up and get it straight, you caqn also use hot water but you have to work fast then.
also a bit of soapy water or some silicone spray helps to get it in.

DSC00430 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

just start on one side and work your way around to the opposite, just push it in with your thumbs.

DSC00431 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

make sure it is even and not leaving any bumps.
also keep in mind, the wider trim has an up/downside. just leave your old trim next to the bumper to check the right direction.

DSC00432 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

on the right you can see the old trim,left are the both new trims installed

DSC00433 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

to finish it off, use your favorite bumper care..mine is this kent product,not cheap but well worth the money.

DSC00434 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

now i gonna quote a nice chap from YT .... " there´s your dinner"....

DSC00435 by thomas hensen, auf Flickr

yeah... now where to get it... it is not available in any shop(not yet)

just get in contact with pascal elfrink on facebook, he is from netherlands and will gladly set you up.

enjoy your car/day and stay save !

regards,eurojettanut...

See less See more
#3 ·
Do you do anything to replace the metal clips? Maybe not necessary because they are new and stiff?

This is super cool, but alas, I do not Facebook. (That's why I am hanging out in this obscure forum, with my obscure cars ;))

PM me if you want to help me get a set of these for my US spec bumpers. They look right. Would save me huge boondoggle of trying to clean and paint the old sun ruined inserts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Do you do anything to replace the metal clips? Maybe not necessary because they are new and stiff?

This is super cool, but alas, I do not Facebook. (That's why I am hanging out in this obscure forum, with my obscure cars ;))

PM me if you want to help me get a set of these for my US spec bumpers. They look right. Would save me huge boondoggle of trying to clean and paint the old sun ruined inserts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You can glue the ends on the back of the bumper.

#10 · (Edited)
Parts recieved. They look correct. Give me a year, maybe I'll install them. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.