Mini Bike built mostly from spare parts!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mini Bike built mostly from spare parts!

I posted and deleted this thread earlier today as it kept dropping photos. Trying it one more time.

I am waiting on parts for a couple of projects and decided to clean up my shop. Then something shiny caught my eye. I have been squirreling away *cough..hoarding..cough* lots of parts for years. Turns out I had nearly everything I needed to build a mini bike and after all, these parts would take up a lot less shelf space as an assembled bike than if they were on the shelf, so really, what choice did I have??

I started by bending up some tubing

Last edited by Ben Modified; 06-23-2020 at 03:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      I can see the picture now.

In to see how this goes.

Then I laid out some of the parts that I have. The forks are from a Yamaha BW200. The factory frame is from a Honda NH80 scooter. Wheels/tires/engine came from Northern Tool over the years.

After a lot of measuring and tack welding on a make shift jig I have the beginnings of the bike. The seat is from a Kymco scooter and most of the other smaller pieces were on hand. I still need to bend up some tubing for a seat support and there will be some more bracing to the down tube before it is ready for a ride.

Last edited by Ben Modified; 06-23-2020 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      I can see the picture now.

In to see how this goes.
      Thanks for letting me know!

The rear brake is from a Yamaha R1 parts bike. I just need to make a bracket to hold the caliper.

Last edited by Ben Modified; 06-23-2020 at 04:00 AM.

So far, this is what I have got. I will mount the seat next and go from there.

Last edited by Ben Modified; 06-23-2020 at 04:02 AM.

That would get me in trouble way too quickly
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

I want to follow the insanity that I'm sure these photos represent. Stoked for them to get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Modified View Post
      Looks like the photos dropped out again. Anyone have any idea why this keeps happening?
      Google Drive is a ****ty image host?

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I want to follow the insanity that I'm sure these photos represent. Stoked for them to get fixed.
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Truth... All I see is a circle with a minus sign... Sighhhh...

I am going to weld these two bare steel nuts equipped with 4" bolts to adjust the engine position for chain tension

Last edited by Ben Modified; 06-23-2020 at 04:27 AM.

I see photos! I'm sooooo happy

Looks like yet another epic build... Do carry on, please

Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Truth... All I see is a circle with a minus sign... Sighhhh...
      Edited: photos available now. This looks nutty in the best possible way! Another awesome project OP! No small turbo lying around by any chance?
      Last edited by chopWet; 06-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.

in!
      if the bike is 0.00001% awesome of the little van, it is going to be worth it.
      Satan´s nopemares...

I sent a note to Admin for help with the photo issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Modified View Post
      I sent a note to Admin for help with the photo issue.
      LOL nobody works here. Host your photos elsewhere. Google is not a valid photo host for this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Picasa was good. Then Google had to interfere. And now we only see street signs.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Started working on a way to mount the seat. I bent up a piece of tubing to fit the underside of the seat. This will become part of the frame with a hinge to the seat.

Just need a support in the front now

All of the metal to the rear of the rear wheel bearings will be removed once the frame is done.

Last edited by Ben Modified; 06-23-2020 at 04:29 AM.

The pictures are showing up now for me.

That's going to be awesome! Just make sure to mount a kill switch up at the handlebars, in an emergency you don't want to be reaching down to find that key.

Awesome!
      I like your use of a clutch/torque converter rather than just a centrifugal clutch—works much better. I had one on my old Motoskeeter as a kid and it was great.
      I’d recommend you don’t cut off the piece of frame behind the rear wheel bearings—use it as a platform to stand on for wheelies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      The pictures are showing up now for me.

That's going to be awesome! Just make sure to mount a kill switch up at the handlebars, in an emergency you don't want to be reaching down to find that key.
      Thanks! And yes, the kill switch sounds like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      Awesome!
      I like your use of a clutch/torque converter rather than just a centrifugal clutch—works much better. I had one on my old Motoskeeter as a kid and it was great.
      I’d recommend you don’t cut off the piece of frame behind the rear wheel bearings—use it as a platform to stand on for wheelies!
      HaHaHa, I had just cut it off 30 minutes before I saw this comment! Oh well, it was just something that I quickly attached...crooked etc. I can always weld something on.

Front support for the seat framework is in place as well as some additional down tube support. These will be fill in with sheet metal for a scooter look. The brake lever/cylinder is from the R1 and will be floor mounted.

It's a chopper scooter! You should bend up some small "Ape Hanger" style bars for it to complete the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      It's a chopper scooter! You should bend up some small "Ape Hanger" style bars for it to complete the look.
      That's the plan! I hope to bend up a set in the next couple of days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast