VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sold the Matrix XRS - now what?

38K views 565 replies 60 participants last post by  Mr. Bigglesworth 
#1 ·
So I just sold my Matrix XRS after having the clutch replaced. Just done dealing with it I guess, I had the car a year and the clutch broke. After getting the car back I just am worried "what's next?" to break. Anyways....

-Budget is about $8000
-I want a stick
-I want something that is somewhat fun (my definition of fun may be different from yours but a Matrix XRS was a lot of fun for me)
-I want something reliable and most importantly free of rust. (im in Boston, MA area, so finding a car here that isn't rusted to **** is not really possible unless its a few years old... I am willing to travel almost anywhere in the US for the right car.)
-overall somewhat similar to the Matrix XRS, a 4 door sedan or hatch/wagon is most likely what I'll end up getting. Not big on coupes

#4 ·
Generally, the newer and lower mileage a vehicle is, the more reliable it will be. $8K isn't a lot of money. You could get a 2013+ reasonably low mileage Fiat 500 Turbo and chip it, which is what I did, but that's a 2 door. Fiesta ST are fun, but we're talking like $12K. You could maybe pull a Sonic RS for that. The options open up a lot if you get high mileage and older years, but you may have issues.

#6 ·
So the Matrix had a clutch die, which happens to all manual cars. You had the clutch replaced and it was good to go. And then you sold it... And want to get into another used manual car that is just like your old Matrix XRS?

Why didn't you keep the Matrix?

#7 · (Edited)
because the clutch didn't fail normally, the pressure plate bolts sheered off the flywheel....
It' was just making me paranoid driving it. every little noise the car makes I think it's going to explode. I'm just paranoid like that I guess.

edit: other thing was teh car had some rust and body issues and it made me hesitant to put a lot of money into it.

#78 ·
I believe these suffer from the same engine failures that a lot of Hyundai/Kias from that area suffered from. They have an extended warranty but unless you have DETAILED maintenance and oil change records you're likely SOL. They aren't amazingly fun cars to drive but aren't horrible. Good tech for the money. They are rare but can be found with a manual and a panoramic sunroof.

#10 ·
Not a whole bunch, but you have to really drive them back to back to get a feel for them, as there's more than you can tell on paper. One might have a stickshift that feels really mushy and long throws with a heavy flywheel and artificial rev-hangs between gears for emissions sake and with poor suspension tuning with tons of understeer dialed in and over-assisted steering to the point its not really fun even though it seems fine on an excel spreadsheet. But even on paper, don't forget to look at things like curb weight as that GT is likely 3100lbs or so. Then again, you liked the Matrix so the bar isn't that high. :p

#15 ·
matrix is like 500 pounds lighter than that and the only assist it had was ABS. cable throttle, hydraulic steering, etc.

I had a 2011 Civic Si, so I know all about rev hang. It's lame to say the least

#12 ·
Sounds like you need a minivan.
An early 90s Caravan with a manual or the Aerostar with a manual if you want RWD or AWD.

#22 ·
honestly im shocked the clutch disk would even be covered under warranty, given they are a wear item... Also that person probably couldn't drive stick. Probably rode the clutch the entire time they drove.

unless you mean the clutch on a DCT?

#37 ·
Yep. This is the answer. The only way to have more fun for less money is a Miata.

#45 ·
nah want something else. Also the corolla XRS has a screwed up tune on the motor, lift engages 500 rpm higher and the motor makes less power. Also it has a smog pump and some other stuff, can't remember if they have drive by wire or not but meh. Just want something else.

#48 ·

Go find a 2012-2016 Ford Focus SE hatchback. These things are absolutely BOMB proof in manual transmission guise. 7k RPM 2.0L 4-cyl, great great handling, 5 speed manual, modern amenities, can find them heavily or lightly optioned, ST suspension goodies bolt up, etc.

200k+ car. 100% serious.

#55 ·
MK6 Jetta TDI Sportwagen?
Avoid like the plague, I've heard nothing but horror stories with the post-fix TDIs. Not so much that power and economy is down, which is an issue, but that having so many vehicles just sitting for years in a parking lot without having the engine run really screwed the majority of them up reliability wise.
troyguitar said:
Not arguing with the fun to drive aspect of it, but a Fiesta is absolutely tiny inside compared to the matrix/vibe. Focus is even quite a bit smaller, those cars were incredible little cargo vans disguised as early CUVs.
I wonder why I didn't like them back in the day. Its been so long that all I can remember is I was really disappointed, but I must have driven the 120hp or whatever it was FWD version, as I see the AWD had a better rear suspension and 180hp high revver sounds like fun. Especially with that front passenger seat folding flat, that is pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.