taking a road trip, not what you'd expect edition - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
      I was planning on investing in a nice cooler anyway, so this is more of a reason to.
      Do not just buy a plain old cooler. Instead, invest in an actual 12v freezer/fridge. These are specifically designed to keep food cold (or even frozen) indefinitely. They use real compressors which are extremely energy efficient; it is common for them to run all night while plugged into a 12v outlet in your car, and your battery will still have plenty of charge to start the engine in the morning. (Most models have automatic shut-off in case low voltage does occur.)

In the old days, there was but one 12v freezer/fridge on the market--an ARB. It was priced like all ARB products, too (read: expensive). But now there are numerous brands and the prices have softened a bit. Dometic, Whynter, etc offered similar quality for a little less coin.

Going even further, now there are knock-off brands for significantly less money. Example: I recently learned that Costco carries a brand called Massimo. They have three sizes, and they cost around $300-$350 depending which one you choose. (They were all on sale for less than that, but I'm told the extra discount just expired.) At that price, there is absolutely no reason to deal with trying to keep your food fresh with ice.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha640 View Post
      I guess I'm not clear on the time and long term.

Sell house/drop apartment/move in to car for 6 months plus? Absolutely need a trailer to be comfortable, and need a solid plan to make it profitable.

A week or three at a time, more like a long drawn out vacation? Sure, spend a little more at out of town grocery stores, spend the money on real camp sites, buy t-shirts as you go.

Not sure of OPs situation, but we have our summer vacation money, our gas money, and looking at our winter vacation money burning holes in our pockets. My wife has been due for a new car, but we've put less than 1000 miles on the cars since February, so no need right now. I'd be happy to spend the money on a road trip, but I live in Houston and I don't even want to look out the window in the afternoons it's so hot and gross outside.
      These are all good questions, as it's making me pause and think about the scope. Thank you

Right now, due to COVID, the plan is to explore the Adirondack park in New York. My family has a cabin there, but I've never really explored much within the park aside from the areas near our cabin. Exploring here would be a good way to dip my toes in the water of living "off the grid" for a few days at a time here and there. I also need to have internet access 5 days a week, and with service being spotty in the ADKs, this will tether me to towns for weekday mornings while I make calls. So a mobile hotspot shouldn't be required (although I will still dig into it), a small cooler should do OK considering I will be around towns, and sleeping arrangements are still TBD. I wrote pawa about his Mk6 plywood setup for sleeping, but am also considering a tent/sleeping hammock/etc.

So the overall plan is to drive to a location, find some coffee shop with WiFi, work for a few hours, then use the afternoon to explore/hike/drive to a new location. If I need a roof and a shower, or if an emergency pops up, I can backtrack to my family's cabin within ~2hrs. There should be plenty of exploration options available in the Adirondacks, so I'll take my time and do it right!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      The best advice I can give, which has already been said a couple times over, Verizon is much better than AT&T.

With that being said, you are going to end up places with no cell phone coverage, period. It happens, even where I live, which is rural but far from "the middle of nowhere". So just plan accordingly.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
      I also need to have internet access 5 days a week, and with service being spotty in the ADKs, this will tether me to towns for weekday mornings while I make calls. So a mobile hotspot shouldn't be required (although I will still dig into it), a small cooler should do OK considering I will be around towns, and sleeping arrangements are still TBD. I wrote pawa about his Mk6 plywood setup for sleeping, but am also considering a tent/sleeping hammock/etc.
      A couple notes on ADK internet; comes up a lot for me since I'm in a tech career but my parents live there.
      • Most towns will have some form of connection, but stay near the bigger ones on state highways like Rt 28 or 9 or 3 for the best chance of broadband.
      • Smaller towns away from the highways might not have a connection, and if they do its often DSL and thus slow by modern standards.
      • Expect patchy service on weekends and evenings when tourists are on it and overloading things. Probably not a problem for work but definitely a problem for Netflix.
      • Even with an LTE hotspot, there's something called Quadriture Amplitude Sampling. Long story short, having bars isn't always enough for bandwidth, if you're physically too far from the tower it can't move as much data.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics
      The best advice I can give, which has already been said a couple times over, Verizon is much better than AT&T.
      I have AT&T for other reasons, but can confirm this is true in many parts of the ADKs from friends that have Verizon.

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      A couple notes on ADK internet; comes up a lot for me since I'm in a tech career but my parents live there.
      • Most towns will have some form of connection, but stay near the bigger ones on state highways like Rt 28 or 9 or 3 for the best chance of broadband.
      • Smaller towns away from the highways might not have a connection, and if they do its often DSL and thus slow by modern standards.
      • Expect patchy service on weekends and evenings when tourists are on it and overloading things. Probably not a problem for work but definitely a problem for Netflix.
      • Even with an LTE hotspot, there's something called Quadriture Amplitude Sampling. Long story short, having bars isn't always enough for bandwidth, if you're physically too far from the tower it can't move as much data.

I have AT&T for other reasons, but can confirm this is true in many parts of the ADKs from friends that have Verizon.
      This is good advice. I'm not familiar with the area, but I'm used to rural areas and terrible internet.

We live in a county of 60k people. It's a huge tourist area, and when they fill up the hotels and restaurants here in the summer the internet goes to poo. At our home we have 400Mbps cable with 1Gbps available to us. My parents live half a mile from us (as the crow flies) on a county road and the fastest internet they can physically get at their house, I sh*t you not, is 1.5Mbps DSL. That's it. One. Point. Five. Mbps.

So it can vary GREATLY in just a very short distance.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Haven't read anything else yet but... Guy I know within my circle has a job situation like this. IRRC he has a home in Colorado but basically lives out of a van most of the time. He converted a cargo van with wifi, solar panels, a shower etc and just lives out of it going from park to park. This was from a few years ago and I know he has made many changes since then.

Grab one of Anne LaBastille's book.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Can't wait to see what you decide.

Personally, I say plan ambitiously, put a few bucket-list places on your list to visit. If you are looking at 1 month of travel a year, GTI should do it. If you are thinking of continuously traveling, I say step up to one of those overlanding vans. You can't compare the comfort of a van to a GTI. GTI will be for sleeping and driving only, in a van you can actually work if needed. Also, you can add additional batteries/solar panels to a van to have amenities like a fridge, a/c, etc. One of the problems with GTI is sleeping in a humid area. What I usually do is run the A/C on full blast for the last 30 minutes before I go to sleep but I still need to wake up sometime at night to run the car for 10-20 minutes to get the humidity down. The positive for a GTI is stealth camping(helps in popular areas).

Friend of mine just came back from his first roadtrip. His wife can't work due to covid(salon), he was allowed to take 2 weeks off because there is not much to do at work(car sales) and their kid is out of school(5 years old). They mixed in a few campsites and hotels for a drive from NC to CA and back. 2 weeks isn't a long time but everyone works with what they have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12