Looks like I'm going to BMW M Track days...which event y'all recommend?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Looks like I'm going to BMW M track days...which event y'all recommend?

Voters
    10. You may not vote on this poll
    • SPRINT PACKAGE

0 0%
    • ENDURANCE PACKAGE

1 10.00%
    • M 0 TO 60 CHALLENGE

0 0%
    • LEAD-FOLLOW LAPS

3 30.00%
    • AUTOCROSS

0 0%
    • DRIFTPAD

0 0%
    • M STREET DRIVES

0 0%
    • None of the above...just stay home and save your money.

1 10.00%
    • I'd recommend another driving school...

3 30.00%
    • Hey Uber, good luck getting into an event. They know that you're an EV troll!

2 20.00%

Looks like I'm going to BMW M Track days...which event y'all recommend?

M Track before COVID-19 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tu-eGndwk

SPRINT PACKAGE
      Want to unleash the full power of the most dynamic vehicles on the road? At M Track Days you’ll pilot exclusive M models, such as the X5 M, X6 M and M5, in various activities, including an autocross, lead-follow lapping and drag racing—all for just $495. Experience the full power and control as you immerse yourself behind the wheel of the M8. Don’t miss your chance to get acquainted with the new M lineup!

ENDURANCE PACKAGE
      This is your chance to get up close and personal with the entire M Lineup. The Endurance Package lasts a full day and includes all half-day activities—autocross, lead-follow lapping and drag racing—plus access to the M8, M5 and M2 Competition models for the lead-follow, and one-on-one time with a BMW Motorsport Professional Driver. What are you waiting for? Register today for $995 to hit the track in style, and speed.

M 0 TO 60 CHALLENGE
      Go from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye courtesy of the M2 Competition, the X5 M and the X6 M. This is speed and adrenaline like you’ve never experienced before. Stare down your opponent, buckle up, and blast off to show this unique challenge you’ve got what it takes to win.

LEAD-FOLLOW LAPS
      Take your talents to the next level with a BMW Professional Instructor demonstrating advanced driving theory as you follow close behind. In such vehicles as the M8 and the M5 for the half-day Sprint Package—as well as the prominent M2 Competition if you opt for the full-day Endurance Package, you’ll learn the best ways to make the most of top of the line performance. If you think you’re fast now, just imagine how fast you’ll be with the help of a BMW Professional Instructor.

AUTOCROSS
      This competitive driving session features a BMW M2 Competition vehicle, packed with power and made to maneuver. Autocross highlights the vehicle’s technology, agility and safety features… and your hunger for speed. You’ll receive specialized direction from a BMW Professional Driving Instructor before testing your skills on a challenging course designed to thrill. Goosebumps included at no additional cost.

DRIFTPAD
      Endurance Package only. This isn’t donuts in an empty parking lot. This is high-speed drifting in one of the top machines on the market. Here’s how it works: we turn off the M5 Dynamic Stability System, engage the 2WD, and unleash you on a wet skidpad for some good old-fashioned drifting. It’s fun, it’s fast, and you’ll get a feel for how the car handles and responds to your command. The M5 is fully equipped to deliver. Are you?
      https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/

I'll be going to the Circuit of the Americas M Track days event in Austin, Texas.

So what do you think TCL? Which package should an EV enthusiast try at such event?
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 06-26-2020 at 03:49 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

EVs don't last too long on the track so Endurance Package naturally.
      ಠ_ಠ

I'd be shocked if it even runs.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

You should show up in a rented i3 and see if they'll let you have a go at it.
      ಠ_ಠ

Uhh you don't have to choose. You get to do all the events (except the "driftpad" is only included with the full day event, as noted).

Hopefully they got rid of some of the sour puss instructors that seem annoyed if you engage them in car small talk

The gentleman with the big moustache is awesome always giving great driving tips and genuinely likes what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      You should show up in a rented i3 and see if they'll let you have a go at it.
      I'll take my e-Tron (or S3) to see if they'll let me run with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Hopefully they got rid of some of the sour puss instructors that seem annoyed if you engage them in car small talk
      COVID-19 has changed this event too. Instructors will not join you. Instead, they will use a walkie-talkie. I'm taking my gloves and mask (and a hand sanitizer)

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      The gentleman with the big moustache is awesome always giving great driving tips and genuinely likes what he does.
      Who?

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 06-26-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Uhh you don't have to choose. You get to do all the events (except the "driftpad" is only included with the full day event, as noted).
      I really wanted to do that one... But I ain't spending $995.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post

COVID-19 has changed this event too. Instructors will not join you. Instead, they will use a walkie-talkie. I'm taking my gloves and mask (and a hand sanitizer)

Sounds like fun

Waste of money and time - join SCCA or NASA and get real experience

MB just canceled my Lime Rock event, I assume BMW will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
      Waste of money and time - join SCCA or NASA and get real experience
      Damn it man they don't drive cars in space.*

*Moon and Mars excluded

..../s
      ಠ_ಠ

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar

*Moon and Mars excluded

..../s
      Space X does!

For the cost of that, I'd do something different. I used to attend car control events with these guys years ago. Not sure how they are these days, but I enjoyed the instructors back when I was in college. https://www.thedriversedge.net/

My roommates brother used to instruct with them in the off season. Once I got good at sliding cars around, my friends brother would stick me in his friends cars and have me screw around during oversteer exercises to piss off his buddies.

"I said off throttle about 20 times. You have to listen to me."

"Sorry man I froze."

Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 06-29-2020 at 07:29 PM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

*Moon and Mars excluded

..../s

NASA/PDA is always looking for a few good space cadets.

If you want to get a small bit of track driving in cars that aren't yours this seems good, or if you want an extended test drive in any particular M because you're considering it, the same.

But if you really want to get into it and are willing to accept a bit more risk, you can do a lot better than lead/follow laps, 0-60 runs, and non-competition autocross.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      MB just canceled my Lime Rock event, I assume BMW will do the same.
      Well Lime Rock is in CT. Texas is all, "Covid? Hold my Shiner Bock..."

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Don't mess with Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      LRP is actually open FWIW. Lots of safety precautions--take your temp at the gates, you wear a mask, close every other bathroom stall/picnic table/etc., but they've been running events for a couple weeks and even have the snack bar open. Sounds like it was MB who wasn't OK with running. Maybe they want to have instructors with the drivers, which is a big no-no right now.

When I did the Audi event at COTA they had us do 3 events twice. Lead and Follow in a R8 (this was my favorite!), Autocross in TT-RS (this was a lot of fun too) and Down and Back in the RS5 coupe and sedan which is basically a drag race 50-60 yards, u-turn and slalom back to stop in a box of cones. The V-10 is intoxicating.