Golf R, most overrated "performance" hatch of the decade ? - Page 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      I think the hatches look pretty weird now that I'm used to the wagon. It looks like something is missing.
      Lol I think the opposite. Sedans and wagons look like they've been stretched out to me.

I guess it boils down to what you're used to.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I dunno. They have grown on me a lot, specially with some springs:

Pics can be found in this thread > https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...prings-for-GLI
      My car made your list! That's awesome, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      Quote the narrow path to hit.

Understated in looks, yet not that great a performer, so not really a sleeper per se.

Interior not any better than a GTI, yet priced 25% higher for the AWD, but loses the trick LSD. So a bit of a wash.

It is really just for a very narrow niche of people looking for a very specific cr, vs say the GTI which can cover a far wider swath of the car buying public since its price range is $25-35k dollars. So it can a cheap fun fwd hatch, or a loaded hatch or anything in between.
      BINGO!
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

I test drove a couple R's when shopping to replace my GTI. They didn't really excite me at all so I went a different direction. I don't regret my choice.

Understated in looks, yet not that great a performer, so not really a sleeper per se.

Interior not any better than a GTI, yet priced 25% higher for the AWD, but loses the trick LSD. So a bit of a wash.

It is really just for a very narrow niche of people looking for a very specific cr, vs say the GTI which can cover a far wider swath of the car buying public since its price range is $25-35k dollars. So it can a cheap fun fwd hatch, or a loaded hatch or anything in between.
      Not that great a performer It's 4-5MPH faster through the quarter than the GTI my friend. Also doesn't need an LSD with AWD. I think the fact that your biggest pitch for the GTI over the R is its lower price kind of says it all. The GTI is nice but the R is usably faster and can make better use of its power. If you have $40K to spend and need a practical performance car IMO you'd need some good reasons to not even consider the R. Personally I've driven a few GTIs and came away disappointed. I think the R's extra oomph is what I was missing.

Though to be totally fair the GTI and R are disappointingly close in the 5-60 test. My TLX could catch an R out from a roll apparently. But with launch control, or once the R gets rolling, fuggeddaboutit.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

I think saying "not that great in performance" for a car that *stock can do 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds (with DSG) and the 1/4 mile in around 12.7 at 107mph (quoted numbers I've seen from numerous sources) is a little unfair, relatively speaking. Is the R "not that great" on the track? I suppose that would be the same as saying "pretty good just not that great", which is a matter of wording or glass half full/ half empty thing. I suppose I can't fully disagree there, considering the article which got this thread started (and other track tests) in the first place. However, there's more to performance in a car, especially one meant to be daily driven, than track times. Of course, I don't track my car. So really, I'm more concerned with how the car feels as a daily, occasionally partaking in some spirited driving, and with near effortless acceleration (not denying turbo lag). I'm never left wanting in that regard, but I also take in consideration the comfort, rock-solid feel on the highway, etc. I definitely consider the R to be the best grand tourer of the hot hatch/compact performance world. Don't worry, I'm not going to call it a "luxury" GT, but it is very nice inside and a refined cruiser, when it needs to be..

As far as the interior goes in the 7.5 R, to me it is definitely better than the GTI (as its available in the US) - even the $36K+ (MSRP) GTI Autobahn. Is it night and day, worlds better? Maybe not. And, much of what I consider "better" might not be what some people prefer. However, I'd imagine all the R's interior upgrades over the GTI to be objectively more expensive to include in the car.
      First, the R comes with the higher-end center console (with the electronic parking brake). Since I don't mind the electronic parking brake, to me, the center console area is definitely nicer than the one in the GTI. The design is more upscale, with a covered cup holder and the auto-hold feature, too.
      Another feature not available in any trim level GTI (in the US) is the digital gauge cluster. Some people might prefer the analogue. I was surprised at how much I now prefer the digital. It can have the appearance of a nice analogue cluster, but with a lot more features and customization. To me, it just feels more upscale and current with digital. Lastly, a few minor, but notable areas were the R's interior is "better" than the GTI's, are the perforated front seats, gray piping, and felt-lined glove compartment (GTI's went to hard plastic in 2018).

Seems that it's mostly stock caparisons (and the Golf R's $40K price) being discussed here, but I think it's also important to note some of the added features which make the R a better tuning platform than the GTI (and much of the competition), particularly when it comes to BIG power and performance upgrades. Obviously, its AWD is better suited to increased HP and torque than FWD, even with a diff (I certainly do not miss the wheel spin and hop that had to be managed in my previous GTIs and GLI, and those were all stock). But, it's also the larger turbo and beefed up engine internals in the R which definitely seem more ready for big power upgrades. There are a lot of R owners pushing crazy performance numbers w/ only a tune and minor bolt-ons, and their engines seem to be holding up just fine. Not saying a GTI isn't perfectly capable of accepting a tune, - the R just seems to have more headroom for large power increases without issue. Having said that, I certainly can't argue with the issues around the R's fragile clutch. It's one of the reasons I got mine with DSG.
      Last edited by nicoli; 06-30-2020 at 11:48 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gaki View Post
      So besides a massive case of mud butt for a week straight followed by a $25,000+ stay at a hospital when I got back, I'd say the trip was

Quote Originally Posted by nicoli View Post
      Seems that it's mostly stock caparisons (and the Golf R's $40K price) being discussed here, but I think it's also important to note some of the added features which make the R a better tuning platform than the GTI (and much of the competition), particularly when it comes to BIG power and performance upgrades. Obviously, its AWD is better suited to increased HP and torque than FWD, even with a diff (I certainly do not miss the wheel spin and hop that had to be managed in my previous GTIs and GLI, and those were all stock). But, it's also the larger turbo and beefed up engine internals in the R which definitely seem more ready for big power upgrades. There are a lot of R owners pushing crazy performance numbers w/ only a tune and minor bolt-ons, and their engines seem to be holding up just fine. Not saying a GTI isn't perfectly capable of accepting a tune, - the R just seems to have more headroom for large power increases without issue. Having said that, I certainly can't argue with the issues around the R's fragile clutch. It's one of the reasons I got mine with DSG.
      Exactly. If you can spend $40K on a hatchback, you can spend $1200 on an ECU + TCU tune. Find me another hatchback that can match the do-anything capability of an AWD Golf with 380 crank hp and a tuned 7-speed DSG...while still functioning like a regular Golf in day-to-day functionality. You don't even need to make any hardware changes.
      Last edited by Charlie84; 06-30-2020 at 12:43 PM.

I am not sure how you are doing your math.
      2019 GTI Autobahn manual with destination is $36890.
      2019 Golf R manual with destination is $41290.

(41290-36890)/36890×100% = 12% approx. Difference per MSRP.

The fact that one can purchase a GTI for much cheaper does not mean that the R is necessarily overpriced. It really means that the GTI is not desirable and people are not willing to pay for them. In Aug 2017 I bought a GTI S manual for $20999 before TTL. The car was marked down close to 5K and they couldn't sell it. Yet at the same time they had a Golf R on the showroom at MSRP and they would not budge one cent. The R was gone in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post

A Golf R will retail value much longer than a GTI. And magazine racers a weird.

Edit: I mistyped, I meant 'retain'.
      Does that matter when both of them have garbage resale compared to a WRX or STI or Type R of the same year?

The Golf R is the best "car" out of it's competition (Type R, Focus RS ((old)), WRX STI, Veloster N), but clearly it's not the best performance car of that bunch. It's the car for when you have another fun weekend car in your stable IMHO.
      Last edited by Goingnowherefast; 06-30-2020 at 01:55 PM.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      Does that matter when both of them have garbage resale compared to a WRX or STI or Type R of the same year?

The Golf R is the best "car" out of it's competition (Type R, Focus RS ((old)), WRX STI, Veloster N), but clearly it's not the best performance car of that bunch. It's the car for when you have another fun weekend car in your stable IMHO.
      Those are extremely unique examples compared to the otherwise pedestrian Golf. It still holds good value compared to average.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Those are extremely unique examples compared to the otherwise pedestrian Golf. It still holds good value compared to average.
      Those "extremely unique" examples are it's direct competition, so you kind of have to include them...
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

Performance hatch =/= sports car, so why treat it like one? It's hard to call it overrated when there's like 4 performance hatches for sale.

The performance baseline is so high these days that any real performance gains are going to be marginal. I wouldn't dare call a GT350 the most overrated muscle car even though a lightly massaged Mustang GT PP2 will chase them down on the track.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

and felt-lined glove compartment (GTI's went to hard plastic in 2018).
      You know I wasn't with you until you mentioned this, and now I'm a believer. Golf R > GTI. Behold the felt lined glove box!

people buying Golf Rs are a special bunch, they want the German feel and quality along with the unreliability that a VW carries. I personally think (having owned 4 Golf Rs) that it's the best value of a car in the market especially with the DSG. Manual is fun for a bit but a manual GTI feels faster around town due to smaller turbo.

I'd get another and maybe I will again, you never know. Please name a car for $40k that has a better transmission and can post such gains with a simple ECU tune.

Performance, qulity, finish and yea I can say reliability the Mk7s carry, it'll be hard to beat. AWD DSG combo FTW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Not that great a performer It's 4-5MPH faster through the quarter than the GTI my friend. Also doesn't need an LSD with AWD. I think the fact that your biggest pitch for the GTI over the R is its lower price kind of says it all. The GTI is nice but the R is usably faster and can make better use of its power. If you have $40K to spend and need a practical performance car IMO you'd need some good reasons to not even consider the R. Personally I've driven a few GTIs and came away disappointed. I think the R's extra oomph is what I was missing.

Though to be totally fair the GTI and R are disappointingly close in the 5-60 test. My TLX could catch an R out from a roll apparently. But with launch control, or once the R gets rolling, fuggeddaboutit.

Compared to its competitive set (Civic type R, Focus R) the Golf R is a notch below, a little slower, a little softer, a little less grip, etc.

I think saying "not that great in performance" for a car that *stock can do 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds (with DSG) and the 1/4 mile in around 12.7 at 107mph (quoted numbers I've seen from numerous sources) is a little unfair, relatively speaking. Is the R "not that great" on the track?
      Yeah, no.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...019-vw-golf-r/
      https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...r-test-review/
      https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hond...ra-comparison/
      https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volk...swagen-golf-r/

It's mid 13 second 104 mph hatch. It has been repeatedly reviewed as the least performance oriented of the three current hot hatches. This isn't new, and no amount of spin will change that.

Why is that even a bad thing. Why can't people just appreciate that while it lacks in outright performance compared to the other hot hatches, it has other redeeming features you appreciate? Instead its mandatory that people try and prove that it's the greatest car in every single way, as if VW doesn't have to make compromises like every other car manufacturer.

Compared to its competitive set (Civic type R, Focus R) the Golf R is a notch below, a little slower, a little softer, a little less grip, etc.

Yeah, no.

It's mid 13 second 104 mph hatch. It has been repeatedly reviewed as the least performance oriented of the three current hot hatches. This isn't new, and no amount of spin will change that.

Why is that even a bad thing. Why can't people just appreciate that while it lacks in outright performance compared to the other hot hatches, it has other redeeming features you appreciate? Instead its mandatory that people try and prove that it's the greatest car in every single way, as if VW doesn't have to make compromises like every other car manufacturer.
      I don't think anyone is saying that the R is better than its competitors. In fact most people are saying it's the most grown up of the upper end hot hatch bunch (which is 100% true). The reason its performance is coming up is because of people are saying it's too overpriced compared to the GTI.

The point of the GTI constantly being discounted while the R always sells for MSRP or higher (around here, anyways) is a good one. It shows the market (or at least dealerships) think that the R is worth its price, while the GTI might not be.

Bingo.

The Golf R prioritizes refinement and ease of use. Some people appreciate this.
      The Civic Type R is FWD-only and looks like a Gundam. Some people appreciate this.
      The WRX STi is old-school Subaru. Some people appreciate this.
      The Veloster N is slightly crude, rowdy fun in a bizarre package. Some people appreciate this.
      The Focus RS ride quality is decidedly uncompromised by concern for a smooth ride. Some people appreciate this.

Lots of tasty flavors to choose from. If you don't want to deal with any of the above compromises, you'll need to spend more money.

I am all for hating on VWs but this level of hate isn't even rational lol. The better resale of the STI is easily offset by the much worse fuel economy it gets And objectively the R does anything as well as its competitors; any differences come down to a matter of taste It's def not the most exciting car in its segment but it's objectively competitive by every metric
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

I'm not sure what your point is. Seems like you don't think the R is worth it over the GTI or any of its competitors, but then you demand that we all appreciate its redeeming qualities. You're talking in circles

Those "extremely unique" examples are it's direct competition, so you kind of have to include them...
      Yes, but those cars are BIG exceptions in the depreciation game. Whether they are competition or not. You can't use those as an argument that some other car has bad depreciation.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 06-30-2020 at 05:20 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Yes, but those cars are BIG exceptions in the depreciation game. Whether they are competition or not. You can't use those as an argument that some other car has bad depreciation.
      I actually see where he is coming from. If you are shopping its competitive set and only its competitive set, it has bad (relative) depreciation, just as the Veloster N has awful (relative) depreciation and the Focus RS has abysmal (relative) depreciation. In the grand scheme of all cars? It's above average, the Veloster is average and the Focus RS is below average. You do have to keep in mind that the Golf R is going to cost you a lot more to own than a Civic Type-R if you are interested in a hot hatch. That's just the reality even if its absolute depreciation is above average. All of this goes out the window of course once you get into leasing.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 06-30-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Yeah, no.

Ok, so two of those tests are Golf Rs equipped with the manual transmission. Of the tests with a DSG R, one quotes Standing ¼-mile: 13.2 sec @ 106 mph and the other 13.1 at 104.9. I'd seen the around 12.7 at 107 and better enough times on various forums, etc. that it just stuck in my head. I was trying to go with a ballpark average and forgot that a .000000000001 sec faster time when it comes to the 1/4 mile is such a huge deal. Whatever. Mid 13 sec at 104 isn't "a bad thing" at all.
      I personally don't care that much about all that anyway, now that I know how the car performs from my daily experience. It's good enough for me.
      My point was simply that I don't think its fair (or accurate) to say the R has "not that great of performance" relative to other sporty cars in the $35K-low$40K range. I can say, in the real world, it puts its power down with no issues and handles great. And, yes it has plenty of redeeming features that matter more to me than winning a car magazine pissing contest. I listed a number of those things which add to what you get in the Golf R over a loaded GTI Autobahn, because the fact is, there are some more "upscale" features worth noting in the R. Additionally, I added the differences in the engine internals and bigger turbo, which definitely makes it a formidable platform to modify into a truly capable performance car (for the money).
      Other redeeming features....Styling is totally subjective, but to me it's the best looking car in the segment, too. Although the 7.5 GTI has some details I'm a little more fond of. Also, I can cart the parents or mother-in-law around in comfort, and park it at work without feeling like an early 2000's Wings West commercial (I'm looking at you Civic Type R)

I don't know where you got the idea from my initial post that I was trying to prove "it's the greatest car in every single way." That said, it's probably the best car for what I am looking for in the $40K price range, and checks the most boxes for my personal preferences. That's totally fine that the same isn't true for everyone.

Since part my post was/is also directed at the click bait title of the thread, I'll add a bit more:
      I don't think the R is the "most overrated performance car of the decade." I don't really think there is such a thing, although everyone seemed to worship the Focus RS, which turned out to have its share of issues. (not that I have anything against the RS)
      Yes, there are those fanbois who think the R is the greatest thing ever, just like with WRXs, STIs, GTIs, etal. But, I'd say overall, its rated pretty fairly. Usually, it gets the "better daily driver," "most refined," or "nicer interior" award, while losing enthusiast points for being a "too sterile," etc. Fair enough. Even so, sometimes people reviewing the R completely miss the point, or go into it with such high expectations that they overlook aforementioned "redeeming features" since it lacks the pure visceral performance they were looking for. I think a lot of those reviewers are not considering what it would be like to live with the cars they are reviewing on a daily basis.
      Last edited by nicoli; 06-30-2020 at 06:06 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gaki View Post
      So besides a massive case of mud butt for a week straight followed by a $25,000+ stay at a hospital when I got back, I'd say the trip was

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Bingo.

The Civic Type R is FWD-only and looks like a Gundam. Some people appreciate this.
      The Veloster N is slightly crude, rowdy fun in a bizarre package. Some people appreciate this.
      The Focus RS ride quality is decidedly uncompromised by concern for a smooth ride. Some people appreciate this.

Lots of tasty flavors to choose from. If you don't want to deal with any of the above compromises, you'll need to spend more money.
      Yep, I can make a decent case for pretty much all of the current hot hatch crop. None of them are bad or perfect cars, they all have different pluses and minuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Yep, I can make a decent case for pretty much all of the current hot hatch crop. None of them are bad or perfect cars, they all have different pluses and minuses.
      I would love if someone would do a systematic forum scrubbing of magazine hits to forum posts kvetching. Just by perusing the forums, I think the Focus RS has the worst ratio, followed by the Type-R (so many people bought the Nurburgring hype and thought it was the second coming of the GT-R) and then the Golf R/Veloster N tied with the STI in last place.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Bingo.

Nailed it.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast