Motorist buys a Huracan & only gets 20 minutes out of it before it's totaled.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motorist buys a Huracan & only gets 20 minutes out of it before it's totaled.

It's not like this is the only Lamborghini that's ever been totaled. I just wonder if this one set a record for the shortest lifespan?
      A brand new luxury sports car has been smashed to pieces on a motorway just minutes after it was bought and taken for its very first drive.

The Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder was being driven along the M1 motorway near Leicester in the UK on Thursday just after 1pm, when the car suddenly stopped and was smashed in the rear by a van.

Truly crushing. The Lamborghini had come to a stop after the engine failed due to a mechanical fault, according to the BBC. The driver, who had just purchased the sports car, had been driving it for about 20 minutes before the car failed.

The crash crumpled one side of the car, exposing the high-powered engine and tearing off the rear wheel. A new Huracan Performante Spyder is valued at approximately $529,000 in Australia.

The driver of the van suffered head injuries but the injuries were not believed to be serious according to police.

The Lamborghini website boasts the Huracan Performante model has been “completely updated” to improve the vehicle’s engine while also “using ultra-lightweight materials, and introducing an innovative active aerodynamic system” to improve the driving experience.

Carbuzz.com said it’s unlikely the Spyder could be salvaged from the crash, describing the damage as “terminal”.

You can’t take advantage of “record low” gas prices when you have nowhere to drive. And it’s not really more affordable if you don’t have a paycheck to buy it with.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder was being driven along the M1 motorway near Leicester in the UK on Thursday just after 1pm, when the car suddenly stopped [due to a mechanical fault] and was smashed in the rear by a van.
      Why was the van driving on the shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Why was the van driving on the shoulder?
      This happened to my dad in the 80s. He had a Lotus Europa and the water pump failed on the highway, so he pushed it all the way over into the grass on the side of the road and went off to get parts. When he came back, all he found were little blue pieces of fiberglass laying all over the place. A drunk driver in a pickup took it out.

Also, lol at Lamborghini mechanical fault 20 minutes into ownership.

TCL is slow, my dad sent me this last week.

At least it wasn't the driver's fault.

EDIT: In the first pic it looks like the roll over protection bars popped out even though it didn't flip?
      iain

I mean that sucks for sure, but who really cares? The thing broke after 20 minutes and got totaled, he should be lucky it got totaled. He's just going to get another brand new one anyway, one that probably won't break after 20 minutes, so no matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      "Driver of brand new supercar wrecks it within x minutes" is practically a meme, so I shrugged when I saw it last week.

Meh.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Sounds like the best thing that could’ve happened. No one seriously injured. The bone head who crashed into it is screwed as he most likely didn’t have enough insurance to cover the loss. Not sure how it works in England but in America the Lamborghini owner’s insurance company would personally sue the van driver to make up the difference. That guy could be paying for this for many years to come. As for the Lambo owner, he dodged a bullet. Super car reliability is an absolute joke. And to think it’s gotten way better since VAG took over. It’s still abysmal though.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Sounds like the best thing that could’ve happened. No one seriously injured. The bone head who crashed into it is screwed as he most likely didn’t have enough insurance to cover the loss. Not sure how it works in England but in America the Lamborghini owner’s insurance company would personally sue the van driver to make up the difference. That guy could be paying for this for many years to come. As for the Lambo owner, he dodged a bullet. Super car reliability is an absolute joke. And to think it’s gotten way better since VAG took over. It’s still abysmal though.
      Good luck collecting on a judgment against the driver of the van.

Can't collect what someone doesn't have.

I definitely did not expect the Huracan driver to not be at fault.

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      This is closing in on the fastest accident I’ve ever seen. Back when I was selling cars when I was 22 I sold an Eos to a lady. She made it three blocks away, and stopped at the local IHOP for food. Some guy in a Suburban got the pedals mixed up and drove up her hood, all Saturn lady like.

At least the Lambo wasn’t destroyed by an idiot throwing it into a tree.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

What usually happens in America:

-Nice car gets totalled.
      -At-Fault Party carries minimum liability coverage, and that's it. Their insurance pays out the coverage amount (sometimes as low as $5k) and says "LOL good luck have a nice day."
      -Nice Car Owner luckily carries Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage that pays out and covers their car. They could also claim it under their collision policy but that will raise their personal rates.
      -Nice Car Owner's insurance sues the At-Fault Party. They have no assets to their name and pay nothing, and ultimately declare bankruptcy to discharge the debt.
      -Rates ultimately go up for everyone to offset the costs incurred thanks to At-Fault party and everyone like him. Someone has to pay, and it's not the insurance company.

OR...

-Nice Car Owner doesn't have anything more then minimum liability coverage on their nice car. They receive the $5k check from At-Fault Party's insurance. As they don't have any Collision/Uninsured/Underinsured coverage from their Insurer, they get no support. Nice Car Owner can personally sue At-Fault Party, but see above for the outcome of that.

In my experience, people who tend to cause accidents carry much less coverage than people who don't tend to cause accidents. Call it bad judgement, call it systemic class issues, call it whatever you want. But I really think you're much more likely to get hit by someone with little to no insurance coverage than someone with a nice Liability policy with high limits.

Didn't know they still are producing performantes for 2020MY

I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Didn't know they still are producing performantes for 2020MY
      New does not mean it is the current MY.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Here in SoCal my buddy had a test drive in the new 86 Mustang SVO. The salesperson insisted on taking it out first and stomped on it leaving the driveway.

He spun the car around and plowed it into another customer who was visiting the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      !! opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Craigslist be like "near new lambo in minor collision!"

1+3+3=7

Another example of more money than brains..................................a Mercedes-AMG GT R Roadster wouldn't have broken down
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

I want to be a motorist some day.

btw I think the brand new Porsche crashed around the corner (literally) from Porsche Centre Oakville has got to be the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      x2

Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Ditto
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

...The bone head who crashed into it is screwed as he most likely didn’t have enough insurance to cover the loss. Not sure how it works in England but in America the Lamborghini owner’s insurance company would personally sue the van driver to make up the difference. That guy could be paying for this for many years to come...
      IIRC insurance is compulsory in the UK, you are not allowed to be on the road without insurance. The minimum would be 3rd party/fire/theft coverage and there would be a excess you'd be liable for. From my understanding that means that the van driver's insurance would have to cover the replacement cost of the Lambo and the van driver would need to pay his excess which will probably be a few hundred quid.

Quote Originally Posted by chopWet View Post
      IIRC insurance is compulsory in the UK, you are not allowed to be on the road without insurance. The minimum would be 3rd party/fire/theft coverage and there would be a excess you'd be liable for. From my understanding that means that the van driver's insurance would have to cover the replacement cost of the Lambo and the van driver would need to pay his excess which will probably be a few hundred quid.
      You aren't allowed to be on the road in the US without insurance either... but that doesn't mean that people don't do it. I've been run into buy a guy with no insurance before.

Quote Originally Posted by dubsix View Post
      I want to be a motorist some day.
      Def my favorite part of this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      You aren't allowed to be on the road in the US without insurance either...
      WRONG, at least in NH, technically not required to have ins. But you need to prove that you have enough money to cover the NH motor vehicle financial responsibilities. Of course the easiest way to do that is with insurance.
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post

At least it wasn't the driver's fault.

EDIT: In the first pic it looks like the roll over protection bars popped out even though it didn't flip?

saw this last week too Supercars don't really interest me at all but I checked to see if it's the same one I saw. Carry on.

Interesting that the rollover protection rods pop up even when the car is hit and not running/moving.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast