Project/Restoration Thread: 1987 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2 Door - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I'm tempted to make an alt username so I can subscribe to this twice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post
      It really does seem to be in decent shape! Really cool. I've always wanted a Jetta.
      So far so good. I think it was pretty well loved - hard not to love a car when you own it for 33 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Sorry, I didn’t mean to state what I thought you should do. You do what you enjoy, not me! You’re right about them being delicate, and that’s a big reason by itself to lean towards an 8V.

I’m just along for the ride, so you do what you want. It’ll be a great car when you’re done.
      No worries man I love my 16v's. I am just really learning to (try to) turn wrenches at 47 though so I am trying to keep it simple. When I lived in MT I had a buddy that could do an engine swap in a weekend and drive to work on Monday. I wish I had half that kind of mechanical skill, but the reality is I don't. I'm just going to try to punch in my weight class on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I'm tempted to make an alt username so I can subscribe to this twice.
      Thanks, I appreciate that. Should be plenty of laughs at my expense if nothing else!

So stoked to see this thread Jay! Me and Adam are always down to come over and turn wrenches or lend a hand over beers on a weekend! She’s in such solid shape.. so glad you made this find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2009 Tundra // 2004 .:R32

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      In for more! Looks like a great score. Makes me miss my Tornado Red MkII.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by osin34 View Post
      So stoked to see this thread Jay! Me and Adam are always down to come over and turn wrenches or lend a hand over beers on a weekend! She’s in such solid shape.. so glad you made this find!
      Be careful what you wish for Buddy. Thanks though - I might take you up on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      In for more! Looks like a great score. Makes me miss my Tornado Red MkII.
      Thanks I hope it is. TR is such a great color. Until it turns Tornado Pink.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Be careful what you wish for Buddy. Thanks though - I might take you up on that offer.
      Hahahaha so down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2009 Tundra // 2004 .:R32

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Thanks I hope it is. TR is such a great color. Until it turns Tornado Pink.
      The AZ sun at high altitude turned mine Tornado Pink. Love how you could turn a buffing pad brown, but get the pink off it rather quickly.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      The AZ sun at high altitude turned mine Tornado Pink. Love how you could turn a buffing pad brown, but get the pink off it rather quickly.
      Mmmmmmmm, chalky.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Ugh. I didn't know it was that bad. Since it's been sitting for two years that doesn't help, either. If you go Megasquirt how do you get electronic injectors in it? Is there a simple way/conversion kit?
      I should back-pedal a bit, I don't want to make assumptions or scare anyone off. It is certainly possible that with some fresh gas and a new fuel filter it will fire up, run well and be generally trouble-free.

That said, I got a free Mk2 a year ago that "ran well when parked" six months prior, and it had a clogged system and multiple leaks... CIS is a good system when you are driving it regularly and have good gas going through it. However, it doesn't do as well sitting for a long time. It is very sensitive to pressure (or lack of full pressure) and has lots of little orifices that can get clogged. The higher ethanol content gas seems (to me) to introduce moisture in the system which causes corrosion.

I don't know - I really love the 8v for a number of reasons. Driving is more a game of momentum than with a 16v, but with a TT Catback exhaust they sound great and again my experience has not been great with 16v's. Always an option down the road though.

I'm taking it slow. There is no rush with this car because I already have 4 other running cars to drive. I just spent an hour just kind of fiddling around and cleaning up. My wife came out and said she would go get the little one so I could keep working and I was like "Nah, I don't want it to feel like a chore". An hour is good today.
      I fully agree on the 8v motors. They're often pulled for something more powerful, but I find there's a real pleasure in how simple they are to work on and how much abuse they can take. They do have a fair amount of modification potential as well, just not the same bang for your buck as the other engines.

And that's a good approach.

I literally just was out in the garage basking in the MK2 musk. The whole garage smells because I have everything open to air out/dry out.

Car was built in March of 87 so CIS-E.
      80's VW's have that unmistakable scent!

No worries man I love my 16v's. I am just really learning to (try to) turn wrenches at 47 though so I am trying to keep it simple. When I lived in MT I had a buddy that could do an engine swap in a weekend and drive to work on Monday. I wish I had half that kind of mechanical skill, but the reality is I don't. I'm just going to try to punch in my weight class on this one.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Should be plenty of laughs at my expense if nothing else!
      An 8v is a great place to start. It looks like yours doesn't have AC either, is that right?

This forum has a lot of great members who love these cars. Nobody will be laughing at your expense, and we love seeing stories like this.

Feel free to message me anytime if there's something "silly" you'd like to ask and I'll do my best to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      An 8v is a great place to start. It looks like yours doesn't have AC either, is that right?

This forum has a lot of great members who love these cars. Nobody will be laughing at your expense, and we love seeing stories like this.

Feel free to message me anytime if there's something "silly" you'd like to ask and I'll do my best to help.
      Correct - no AC. Thanks man I appreciate it. More than likely I'll be in touch.

Got out to the garage for a bit after dinner and made more progress.

Front Seats out!

Back Seats out!

Shop vac and center console out

No wonder the shifting felt sluggish...

Not bad for day one. Not expecting to keep up this pace but it is rewarding work.

That's one of the things I love about Mk2s. They come apart so easily. When I had a Mk2 Golf project in my garage a while back, I thought "Eh, I'll slowly start stripping it over the next few days". Before I knew it, I had the whole interior including half the dash out and was just a few hours in on the first afternoon.
      '87 Porsche 944S - make flip up lights great again!
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E
      '10 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost
      Instagram: @bastienbochmann

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post
      That's one of the things I love about Mk2s. They come apart so easily. When I had a Mk2 Golf project in my garage a while back, I thought "Eh, I'll slowly start stripping it over the next few days". Before I knew it, I had the whole interior including half the dash out and was just a few hours in on the first afternoon.
      It's true but I am trying not to get too far ahead of myself. It's easy to get caught up in the easy stuff and rip through only to struggle to remember how it goes back together in my experience at least. I'm happy with what I got done though. Need to get the rest of the carpet out and then work on cleaning up the floors.

I am thinking about laying down some POR-15 on the whole floor after cleaning - anyone have an opinion on that? I'd just like to seal anything up I can while it is exposed.

very nice, I have a 91 GLI 16v myself such a fun car to blast around in. Yours looks like a good starting point if you need any body panels or a spare door i have some panels down here in CT you can have for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
      The sound is literally like if you put your head in a toilet bowl, pursed your lips, and said "oooooo".

Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
      very nice, I have a 91 GLI 16v myself such a fun car to blast around in. Yours looks like a good starting point if you need any body panels or a spare door i have some panels down here in CT you can have for cheap

Awesome thanks man. I might actually take you up on that trunk lid.

Car looks great on the 'flakes also. One of my favorite wheels on a MK2.

sub'd
      @saugster_pnw

My '91 Tornado Red GTI also approves of this thread

I wouldn't be too scared of the CIS system, like any fuel system it's subject to how it was stored, and while its adjustable nature makes it appear finicky (especially if it's been tampered with) it's a decent system.

My main beef with the system - which is why I took the 16-valve out of my car - is that components are NLA, and used parts are hard to find and/or expensive. For example, the injectors on my VR6 went to pot when I let them sit for 5 years without taking proper storage precautions. A set of 19-lb refurb'd replacements was $80 on eBay. And those are *the* critical metering component on a modern injected engine. Good luck finding a NIB replacement fuel distributor or a set of stainless lines. Injectors are cheap because they're just simple pencil injectors, but you also have 2 fuel pumps to deal with. Good luck finding a fuel accumulator that hasn't cracked (yet). Bottom line there are just too many failure points, or points that can just make your life miserable if you just want the damn thing to run.

If I wanted to update my 16-valve to modern injection, I'd probably convert it over to Digi (which amazingly you can still get parts for cheaply) or run MS. OP, for your project I'd focus on getting the engine running at first in order to diagnose how f*cked you are
      Last edited by Stevo12; 06-30-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Ugh, I can already tell this thread is going to get me spending money on my mkII again. In.

Hmmmm this project seems relevant to my interests

Not a lot of progress, but like I said I want it to stay fun. I am going to work on it as long as I feel like not worry. I don't really expect to have it on the road until 2021.
      Going on 16 months with my current mk2, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. My thread is in my sig and I have tons of pictures of everything along the way if you need any reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post

If I wanted to update my 16-valve to modern injection, I'd probably convert it over to Digi (which amazingly you can still get parts for cheaply) or run MS. OP, for your project I'd focus on getting the engine running at first in order to diagnose how f*cked you are
      You still got the 16v on a stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      Ugh, I can already tell this thread is going to get me spending money on my mkII again. In.
      How does one stop spending money on their MK2?

Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      Hmmmm this project seems relevant to my interests

Going on 16 months with my current mk2, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. My thread is in my sig and I have tons of pictures of everything along the way if you need any reference.
      Sweet I will check it out!

Agreed on the mkII VW smell -- it's one of a kind.

I'm in for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      My '91 Tornado Red GTI also approves of this thread

I wouldn't be too scared of the CIS system, like any fuel system it's subject to how it was stored, and while its adjustable nature makes it appear finicky (especially if it's been tampered with) it's a decent system.

My main beef with the system - which is why I took the 16-valve out of my car - is that components are NLA, and used parts are hard to find and/or expensive. For example, the injectors on my VR6 went to pot when I let them sit for 5 years without taking proper storage precautions. A set of 19-lb refurb'd replacements was $80 on eBay. And those are *the* critical metering component on a modern injected engine. Good luck finding a NIB replacement fuel distributor or a set of stainless lines. Injectors are cheap because they're just simple pencil injectors, but you also have 2 fuel pumps to deal with. Good luck finding a fuel accumulator that hasn't cracked (yet). Bottom line there are just too many failure points, or points that can just make your life miserable if you just want the damn thing to run.

^ Well said. I'm a fan of CIS, but it was a lot easier to keep it going 10+ years ago when parts (mostly used) were still easy enough to find. Now, unless it's known to be in running condition it can be an uphill battle to get it that way after sitting for a while.

OP, I agree to try and get the engine running. If you are inclined, remove the fuel inlet to the distributor and manually relay the pump to see if the system even gets gas to the engine bay. If so that's great, and you're probably better off draining the tank and putting in fresh gas before going further.

You still got the 16v on a stand?
      Amazingly, I sold it! Another Mk2 GTI lives on, I think it's going into an original 16-valve car too.

I'm trying to get my buddy to get rid of the 9A in his GLI for one of the ABF's got around. He's got a motor problem, in that he has a bunch of motors and not enough Mk2's to put them in. I could probably persuade him to get rid of one of the 9A's he's got around

Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Agreed on the mkII VW smell -- it's one of a kind.

I'm in for more.
      I can't tell if it is MK2 or mouse piss yet, but there is plenty of it. Pretty sure I brought some mice home in it because I already see signs in the garage that I haven't seen since last Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      OP, I agree to try and get the engine running. If you are inclined, remove the fuel inlet to the distributor and manually relay the pump to see if the system even gets gas to the engine bay. If so that's great, and you're probably better off draining the tank and putting in fresh gas before going further.
      Yes that is my plan once I finish tackling the interior. What is the best course in emptying a gas tank anyway? I don't have a clue how much is in it.

I'm assuming if I buy a battery and hook it up that turning the key would cycle the fuel pump so best to avoid doing that unless I remove the fuel inlet correct?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast