Cross country camping trip in a miata, during a pandemic, what could possibly go wrong?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Cross country camping trip in a miata, during a pandemic, what could possibly go wrong?

actually, very little.

little backstory, we were going to go to a friends wedding in california last weekend, but the pandemic hit. so we shelved that plan. but then decided, that with enough hand sanitizer at fuel stops, masks, and camping the whole way, we could make the trip without too guilty of a conscious.

so we plotted a course west, and decided to hit, the badlands, the black hills, deadwood, devils tower, rockey mountain national park, moab, bryce canyon, zion, and then the inland empire. and then back again.

its been a few years since i took a sports car road trip, and last time i did it was before my current miata fleet, driving my 944 turbo. which had, ALOT more space. but we knew we'd be packing everything into my new to me 99 leather package, camping every night. so we packed light. a backpacking tent, pad, and bags, but also a stove for coffee in the morning, and a small cooler for milk etc. we brought everything we needed, and nothing more basically. we actually ended up living a half decent life on the trip, only one night up in the mountains on the Colorado/Wyoming boarder did we get pretty cold (frost on the car in the morning cold), we weren't packed for freezing temps.

In full review, the miata was a tight place, but mostly it was pandemic related why it was tight place. we certainly didnt need any more space to live and have a good time or drive, but typically on one of these road trips we'd eat at bars and restaurants for every meal, a hotel every few nights, and those few hours of time kinda not either in camp, or in the car, kinda a "third space" would have been really nice and helped out. when the only "safe" places are camp or a miata, your world is pretty small.

the reliability of the NB over the 944 turbo was very nice. temp went up a little bit on the way home in 100 degree southern utah weather on mountain pass climbs when trying to do 80 with the AC blasting. oh darn. compared to the fairly large repairs on roadside i'd do with the 944 on trips like this .... hell even brought it on last seasons STS wheels/tires. didnt even blink. car might end up with a big aluminum radiator anyway, just cuase it might end up on the track a few times, and extra cooling is always wise, but she did fine with the stock cooling system. its also the first of these trips ive done with cruise control and AC, and MAN, thats nice haha

leaving:

the badlands:

Black hills cave:

devils tower:

doing miles:

bugs:

rockey mountain national park (above 12,000 ft):

camp:

kassy doing miles:

on the way home:

Last edited by cockerpunk; 06-30-2020 at 01:41 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ten/Tents the entire way!

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

camp:

Can someone photoshop this with ten more tents, please? He finally have pictoral proof of cockerpunk stakes his tent.

That said, looks like you guys had fun!

EDIT: This woman actually spent (what appears to be) a week+ in a miata with you? Has she divorced/dumped you yet? Did you lecture her on performance driving the whole way?
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      CP looks like a bootleg version of Todd from Everyday Driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I’m so glad this was the first reply, as this was also the joke I was going for.

Also, cp looks nothing like I thought he would. Makes all his posts make less sense.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

I was hoping this was you;

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

my first post was mostly how actually it is possible to go on a road trip in a miata, and you might be asking ... but why though?

miata actually adds a ton to a road trip, the problem with them in my mind as road trip cars was getting them to the places i wanted one. the convertible makes every park, view, and drive 100x times better. nothing like flopping the top down as you cruise into a national park with huge views. its also always fun drive, because on these trips we avoid freeways as best as possible, and run as much time on back road, mountain roads, etc etc, so the miata is fun. thats why i brought it on real tires, not the all seasons that i have for it. might seem dumb to bring a super 200tw tire on a cross country road trip, but when you want the grip, to have some fun on a good road, you have it. it also runs on 87, or even 85 without missing a beat, and gets pretty good mileage to boot (still havnt done the mileage calc, but it was easily high 20s, if not 30mpg). it also makes a mockery of everyone else when parking/traffic/etc at touristy places. its so much easier maneuver, park etc. if you can tolerate its small storage space, its actually really nice to bring on a road trip it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I’m so glad this was the first reply, as this was also the joke I was going for.

Also, cp looks nothing like I thought he would. Makes all his posts make less sense.

Chris
      sorry?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      CP looks like a bootleg version of Todd from Everyday Driver.

haha, covid lack of haircuts FTW

im probably gonna shave the sides this week into a mohawk.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Can someone photoshop this with ten more tents, please? He finally have pictoral proof of cockerpunk stakes his tent.

That said, looks like you guys had fun!

EDIT: This woman actually spent (what appears to be) a week+ in a miata with you? Has she divorced/dumped you yet? Did you lecture her on performance driving the whole way?
      we did discuss performance driving, yes ... haha

technically i believe it was only seven tents over the course of the trip ....
      Last edited by cockerpunk; 06-30-2020 at 06:45 PM.
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

it also runs on 87, or even 85 without missing a beat, and gets pretty good mileage to boot (still havnt done the mileage calc, but it was easily high 20s, if not 30mpg). it also makes a mockery of everyone else when parking/traffic/etc at touristy places. its so much easier maneuver, park etc. if you can tolerate its small storage space, its actually really nice to bring on a road trip it turns out.
      Makes sense, we've had a few road trips in rental Ford Fiestas whilst overseas, which although they trade dynamics for room compared to this, have a lot of the same mileage/parking/small-car-fun road trip appeal.

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Glad you got to get out during the craziness. I've only done three drives in months, but even a day trip was totally needed, and I only realized how much I needed it when I came back.

Few years back I was thinking of going up the west coast in the Chevy, and tow a tear drop behind it. Drop off tear drop, hit some roads, come home. Never made time for it, and I still think that I should.

Nice to hear you had fun on a public road at less than 10/10ths.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      CP looks like a bootleg version of a society.
      fixed

The NB has a ton of improvements over the NA in terms of driveability and refinement. With aftermarket CC, my MSM would be a great grand tourer.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Glad you had fun CP, looks like a fun trip. Amazed you fit all that stuff in the ND.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post

Chris
      Maybe it was his S/N but I imagined him looking like a punk past his prime. CP does his own taxes and has a really nice lawn.

Anyway cockerpunk glad you had a good time and the Miata served you well.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Sure looks like a lot of fun.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Maybe it was his S/N but I imagined him looking like a punk past his prime. CP does his own taxes and has a really nice lawn.

Anyway cockerpunk glad you had a good time and the Miata served you well.
      what do punks who are past there prime look like? not confrontational, just curious what my SN implies.

ever see the last monologue of SLC punk?

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      fixed

The NB has a ton of improvements over the NA in terms of driveability and refinement. With aftermarket CC, my MSM would be a great grand tourer.
      the NB really does have a lot of "daily" or "road trip" improvements over the NA, bigger trunk, bigger gas tank, better mileage, more torque, more pockets in the interior, and in my case, Cruise control and AC. none of my NAs have AC or cruise. NB is easier to drive at the limit too, but that doesnt come up much on road trips.

i think i like my NA6s better, they are simpler, cheaper, and a bit more "hardcore" than the NBs, but i think for the average human, the NB is a better car.

This wins the Vortexnet for the month.

In all seriousness cockerpunk, this is one of my favorite road trip threads in quite a while. You two's happiness is infectious in the photos, I love the full-send camping/Miata/supporting your friends' wedding, and the space t-shirt. This is good internet.

This is the absolute perfect answer to the overland crowd that drags huge tents and massive tires to hugely accessible areas for one night of luxury camping, and really makes me think I should give up on trucks and road trip/camp in a fun car again instead. I just need to see a couple of bikes on the back of that Miata, for science.

Quote Originally Posted by johntesi View Post
      This wins the Vortexnet for the month.

In all seriousness cockerpunk, this is one of my favorite road trip threads in quite a while. You two's happiness is infectious in the photos, I love the full-send camping/Miata/supporting your friends' wedding, and the space t-shirt. This is good internet.

This is the absolute perfect answer to the overland crowd that drags huge tents and massive tires to hugely accessible areas for one night of luxury camping, and really makes me think I should give up on trucks and road trip/camp in a fun car again instead. I just need to see a couple of bikes on the back of that Miata, for science.
      totes.

we got a lot of strange looks from other campers, but we set/strike camp in less than 15 minutes, and went on our merry way enjoying everything just the same. never understood glamping, and really can't figure out why you need a 3 inch lift kit on a super duty to deal with a few miles of dirt road. we drifted the switch backs #tentents

FYI, i have a hitch on my white NA6 that i use to carry bikes, works great. its a couple hundred dollar solution to a tens of thousands of dollar problem.

Sweet!

How was the noise situation on the highway? I would be wearing earplugs after more than 30 min in an NB.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Sweet!

How was the noise situation on the highway? I would be wearing earplugs after more than 30 min in an NB.
      leather package comes with the nice sound system (bose i think? i know nothing about hi fi), so we hooked up our phones to the aux jack and listened to podcasts, or music. podcast recommendations: the Anthropocene reviewed, the horror vanguard, witch please!, and gastropod, we also listened to a lot of Malcolm Gladwell. sound damping is much better than the NA too, should have added that to the list. car also has stock exhaust, so its pretty quiet.

Very nice, looks like fun...ball n chain and I went from TC to badlands/deadwood/devils tower in 2016, but no further.

Cool trip. My wife and I did a honeymoon road trip from NH > MT > back to NH in 2009. We hit a lot of the same stops and had a great time. It was a good test of our marriage right off the bat. 11 years later still cruising along though.

the NB really does have a lot of "daily" or "road trip" improvements over the NA, bigger trunk, bigger gas tank, better mileage, more torque, more pockets in the interior, and in my case, Cruise control and AC. none of my NAs have AC or cruise. NB is easier to drive at the limit too, but that doesnt come up much on road trips.

i think i like my NA6s better, they are simpler, cheaper, and a bit more "hardcore" than the NBs, but i think for the average human, the NB is a better car.
      Most importantly IMO, the Hydro steering in the NB is improved significantly over the NA, as was the structural integrity-my 96 shook like jello. But I find it ironic that my MSM has the Bose stereo with in-dash 6 disc changer (still considered a luxury item in 2004) and no cruise, despite my NA8 having it. .
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      just curious what my SN implies.
      Something about grown males shooting little boys in the woods with paint-filled balls.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda