Starting the search for the next family vehicle (wagon, CUV, third row?...)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

My wife's Volvo s60 is 9 years old and although reliable, is approaching the age where it will need attention. In addition to that, we now have a toddler and a 5 year old, we're finding cargo space to be a challenge with a stroller and anything else the 5 year old wants to bring. She also mentioned she'd like something higher up so bending down to buckle the kids in wouldn't be such a chore.

Criteria:
      - I would like to keep the price capped at $50k
      - Should have a "premium" feel to it. For example, the high end Subaru Ascent with the brown interior would wow her.
      - Must have a power lift hatch
      - I would like it to have 3 row seating
      - The longer the warranty the better
      - Should NOT be a gigantic truck

Vehicles we're currently considering:
      - Subaru Ascent Touring
      - Volvo V60 CC - I know, no third row
      - Volvo XC60 - no third row
      - Volvo XC90
      - Chevy Traverse
      - Tesla Model Y

Anything you suggest we look for?
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If not too big, start with the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade.

Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is a really nice vehicle too.
      Last edited by Wimbledon; 06-30-2020 at 03:11 PM.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Subaru Ambassador here. Just bought an Ascent on Saturday to replace our 2017 Outback. It's a fully loaded Premium because we didn't want leather.

My wife is very happy with her Tiguan we bought last fall. We got an SE with third row and no sunroof in Stone Blue.

The SEL-P looks much nicer off the lot IMO with the LED package and R-line body kit as well as upsized wheels. Alas it wasn't in our budget so SE it was. Not sure if the SEL offers a power lift gate. Our SE does not.

Also - in before you really need a minivan comments.

Atlas, Pilot, MDX, somethin Lexus?

Van life baby.... only way to win the war against door dings with kids

we just sold our Atlas and are getting a Honda Odyssey Touring on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      My wife is very happy with her Tiguan we bought last fall. We got an SE with third row and no sunroof in Stone Blue.

The SEL-P looks much nicer off the lot IMO with the LED package and R-line body kit as well as upsized wheels. Alas it wasn't in our budget so SE it was. Not sure if the SEL offers a power lift gate. Our SE does not.

Also - in before you really need a minivan comments.
      How usable is the 3rd row?
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

Mazda CX-9 if three rows, CX-5 if two rows will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      How usable is the 3rd row?
      For kids it is fine. My daughter is 4' tall at 7yo and she fits comfortably with a friend. For full sized adults I don't know how much time you'd want to spend back there.

It does fold pretty flat though and there is a lot of room in the middle row and ample storage space with the third row flat.

Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      My wife's Volvo s60 is 9 years old and although reliable, is approaching the age where it will need attention. In addition to that, we now have a toddler and a 5 year old, we're finding cargo space to be a challenge with a stroller and anything else the 5 year old wants to bring. She also mentioned she'd like something higher up so bending down to buckle the kids in wouldn't be such a chore.

Criteria:
      - I would like to keep the price capped at $50k
      - Should have a "premium" feel to it. For example, the high end Subaru Ascent with the brown interior would wow her.
      - Must have a power lift hatch
      - I would like it to have 3 row seating
      - The longer the warranty the better
      - Should NOT be a gigantic truck

Vehicles we're currently considering:
      - Subaru Ascent Touring
      - Volvo V60 CC - I know, no third row
      - Volvo XC60 - no third row
      - Volvo XC90
      - Chevy Traverse
      - Tesla Model Y

Anything you suggest we look for?
      Really... not even the Buick version at least? Well, in that sort of vein, you can still find some Ford Flexes for sale brand new. It's a slightly polarizing design, but I think they look pretty cool.

https://www.bellfordnj.com/new-Colon...HK6D83KBA27772

Here's a pretty telling review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRCujsF0uT8

And it looks like the SEL does have the powered liftgate.
      Last edited by UncleJB; 06-30-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Telluride/Pallisade, Ascent, CX-9 in that order if space is paramount. Put the CX-9 second if interior look/feel is more important.

Volvos are stunning in Inscription trim, but an XC60 T6 so equipped is a $60-66k car.

Ever consider a 4Runner limited? They seat 7, reliable, durable, great resale.

Second gen Q7 3.0T

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Really... not even the Buick version at least? Well, in that sort of vein, you can still find some Ford Flexes for sale brand new. It's a slightly polarizing design, but I think they look pretty cool.

https://www.bellfordnj.com/new-Colon...HK6D83KBA27772
      They do look cool. But Google Ford Flex waterpump. That and the outdated interior changed my mind quick... shame though, the ecoboost is kind of a hotrod. Everyone already knows my recommendation, lol! The new 2021 Pacifica. Its not high up, but its a relatively high roof vehicle meaning you shouldn't have to bend over and that hands-free kick open side sliding door is the ultimate in convenience as its the biggest possible opening and completely out of the way. Available in AWD or hybrid if desired.

Just how often would you use the 3rd row?

I would go with the new V60 or V60CC since it is significantly more roomy than your V60 but sounds like your wife wants a CUV and 3rd row is just a pretext to tie your hands so you don't come home with another wagon...

If Subaru Ascent is on your radar, I'd be inclined to check out Mazda CX-9 and Kia Telluride. XC90 is going to end up costing quite a bit more than Ascent but if you are seriously considering, you might as well check out Audi Q7, which unlike XC90, is available with V6 engine.

Chevy Traverse is HUGE... GMC Acadia is more comparable to your other options (Ascent, XC90)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      Ever consider a 4Runner limited? They seat 7, reliable, durable, great resale.
      or the GX, but may be a bit too tank like for her.

also, i'd mention most Traverse's are trash, there are far better choices in the CUV game for the same or less money. the Long RX, the Ascent, the CX-9. If you want interior feel and "wow" I'd go straight to the CX-9 honestly.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Just how often would you use the 3rd row?

I would go with the new V60 or V60CC since it is significantly more roomy than your V60 but sounds like your wife wants a CUV and 3rd row is just a pretext to tie your hands so you don't come home with another wagon...
      Says the guy with an E class wagon which offers a 3rd row.

The Atlas Cross Sport is a very nice car. The 2021 Atlas has the same face as the Cross Sport and can be had with a beautiful dark brown interior.

"keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Says the guy with an E class wagon which offers a 3rd row.
      Well, that wasn't on his list

Plus he is looking at new ones and E450 wagon is almost twice the price as V60.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      The Atlas Cross Sport is a very nice car. The 2021 Atlas has the same face as the Cross Sport and can be had with a beautiful dark brown interior.
      I also recommend looking at the Volkswagen Atlas. It has three “non-tiny” rows of seats plus decent cargo space. Beginning with 2021 models, it is available with the turbocharged engine and 4-Motion (AWD), which would be my choice of powertrains. It will also have the new nose (from the Atlas Cross Sport), which I think is rather handsome.

Pricing for a loaded Atlas can exceed $50k, but a mid-line Atlas can be purchased for the mid $40k range. The Atlas Cross Sport is an intriguing vehicle, but does not offer third-row seating. Cross Sport is about $1000 less than the standard Atlas. Both models have front and rear LED lighting, amber rear turn signals, touch screen entertainment center, and a CD player (important for those of us classical music fans).

Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

We've got an MDX for my wife's car and like it, but I kinda wish we'd looked at the CX-9. We test drove a first generation CX-5 that felt like a tin can though, and now she has the impression that all Mazdas are tin cans and wouldn't even test drive the CX-9. I was also a little leery because it was a brand new turbo motor. With that said, they're supposed to drive really nicely and I haven't heard anything bad about the reliability.

As for our MDX, its a pretty good car too. The transmission is a little overly shifty, but they updated some hardware (2019+ valve body is a different P/N at least) and the trans calibration has been updated to make it smoother. Handling on the MDX is also better than it should be for a big SUV, and the J35 is an awesome motor. Interior is pretty high quality, but the dual screen can be a bit funky. At least the 2018+ cars have Carplay.
      Last edited by mrothwell; 07-01-2020 at 01:17 PM.

MIATA-Minivan Is Always The Answer

We have been told the Pacifica is the only answer.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

I would definitely stop at a Mazda dealer and check out a CX-5 and a CX-9. IMHO they're rapidly becoming what Volvo used to be*. At your budget you'd be able to get either car loaded and have enough left over for a family road trip.

*A couple reasons for this. After they broke-up with Ford they were able to carve their own path and they started to move upmarket. In combination, much like Volvo, they don't have a higher end brand in their stable that they need to worry about stealing sales from. So you end up with a near-premium product at a better value, and that's exactly how I saw Volvo from, say the 90s to the mid 00s. Not that Volvo's aren't still awesome vehicles, but I can't help but feel the brand has shifted a bit.

I also agree that the whole Third Row debate really depends on who will be sitting there and how often. A couple kids once a month, or adults multiple times per week? Those are two very different vehicles...