VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Catalytic Converter Options?

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  davery5872 
#1 ·
My CEL came on last night. The car was running fine before and after the light came on. Today I took it to Autozone to get the code and was the P0429 code. I assume that means it is the convertor, one or both O2 sensors, a leak in the system, or bad gas. Any other options? Anyway, since I though it could be bad gas I put in a cat treatment and filled up with premium (which I always use anyway). Since the workers at Autozone are not allowed to enter your vehicle, they give you the reader to do the scan. I spent a few minutes playing with the scanner and erased the code. I fully expect the code to return, but for now everything is fine. Anyway, in the event I have to change the cat, what are my options? The car is a weekend only car and is completely stock. Does the whole downpipe and cat need to be replaced or can just a cat be welded in? The cheapest downpipe/cat system I can find locally is $900, but there are some online for around $500. If a cat can be welded in, what would be recommended? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.