VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Got a Free 81 Rabbit D, Think I want a Refund!!

35K views 302 replies 25 participants last post by  vwpieces 
#1 · (Edited)
Might as well make a thread on this car.
Build in Progress.

Quick story of this car:
A real good friend had it for about a year. Did some work on it and quit. Had to have it moved from where it was kept during that time. He knew I was looking for something to replace the 83 TD and said I could have it. Told him Nothing is Free... I did some work on a couple of his other cars, 73 Bus panel van and his 67 Beetle. Didn't charge him for the work, figured that would get him motivated to get the Rabbit to me. It worked, Rabbit was at my house in a week.

Been joking with my buddy as I find issues with the car. I keep telling him I want a refund. He laughs and says I cant afford to pay the repair bill.

The last PA inspection on this car is 1994. I had it running the day it arrived. Was missing a lot of parts but between my buddy being a VW nut too and my Hoard I really haven't had to buy much. And I think I'm under $290 in parts. Kinda funny, another friend in NH who is also a MK1 guy just got a CIS Rabbit too. Seeing who is spending the least on them is fun. I do have him beat simply from the free car standpoint. I also just posted the engine and trans FS. If I sell it I just might be on the Plus side.

Had to buy list so far from RA
rear muffler $57 Ansa
hatch strut $12 and it was a Stabilis
New heater core $28

Another order from Potterman, parts4vws.com
Needed 2 front hubs and a 16V Rocco P-brake cable. $57 total

And a consumables restock of 3/16 Nickel Copper brake line 50ft. $53

TSC for GREEN Paint $15

Yet another Parts Order 7/30, from AutohausAZ for $68
Needed the Lower coolant hose from front water neck to pump & oil warmer. The "Y" one. That is the only hose out of All the hoses I didn't have in the Hoard. Of course there were a few more things to ad to the order "while I was there"
Front Y hose $14
MK2 coolant Pipe $25
48.5mm exhaust clamp $3.50 But was refunded as out of stock and one arrived anyway.
Some washers for the AC sensor, to fill the hole, prolly wont use, but I was out of stock $0.21ea 3X
Blue expansion tank cap. Febi China. Yeah I might reuse the Old. $2.60
And the gasket for the turbo to down pipe. $3.50

See less See more
#255 · (Edited)
1.5yr Update.
Neglect.

Drove it, but only 1755 miles since build. Don't need to really go anywhere these days.
Haven't done anything except one wash and a new Rad last fall. Didn't Need the rad but old one had slight signs of seepage at end caps and the New one certainly does cool better than the 20yr old one I reused from the TD Jetta. New one was $25 and is the correct MK1 TD rad.
Not even oil change, luckily it has less miles than I anticipated.

Was finally able to get it up on the lift for the first time since build. Check a Bunch of essential nuts and bolts. Only loose ones were the right rear control arm mount nuts and only slightly. Did find a FEW issues that I might pretend I didn't see.

New WP Leaks. No idea of brand, prolly German, but it was one I had in stock. Hope I have another 30mm...

Clearance issue on lower rad hose & alternator. Should have this hose...

Both drive flange seals weeping, think the cable seal too. Ignore.

L Outer CV throwing grease. Ignore, prolly over filled.

Slight leak on IP @ advance lever. Ignore.

Bottom of fuel tank moist, but no signs of a drip. I am sure its the sender seal. Had it out a few times shortly after build trying to find fuel delivery issue. Ignore.

#278 · (Edited)
Ran out of fuel on my way home from a buddies place. Was a 1.5 hour ride. Should have made it home but had a small hose leaking at the injectors.

I was Just able to coast into a small General Store that had 4 gas pumps. Yeah, gas and no diesel. No Kero, but I did what I had to...
Bought some veggie oil and was able to start car without cracking/bleeding injectors.

Made it home.

Car also recently had some stumbling when cold starting. Found One dead GP and swapped it with a good used German Bosch.
Yeah I have new German ones but why not use up the used ones first.
Set on the engine were installed about 15 years ago.
Bottle Liquid Solution Bottle cap Drinkware

#298 ·
I checked charge voltage and its working.
I did catch the glove box light On the other day... did some adjustments on the Sw, latching of the door. Also put in a warm white LED... just in case. Actually put in a different SW, one with very little wiggle in the push stick.
But still something I need to keep an eye on.

These cards didn't have perforations for speakers but they did have them for the remote mirror adjuster. Made that easy to do.

Yesterday was spent cleaning up the 2nd floor storage of the shop. I tend to pull out a box, empty it till I find what I need and leave it. Also got a couple loads of parts a couple months ago and still had some of that to find a home for and organize. And many trips hauling shtuff upstairs to get things cleaned up an clear in the work areas. Another project I did last summer when it was blazing hot, was make 17 shelving units. Did that in the basement garage/woodshop for something to do and avoid the heat. Those shelves went upstairs of the car shop for parts storage. When boxes and bins are stacked up it always seems the bin you need is on the bottom. Wood was crazy at the time but I found a pile a guy was unloading of various thickness plywood and particle board. All good enough for what I needed.

Did install PS door card today. Just about done with interior till the headliner arrives.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Automotive exterior
Wood Interior design Building Shelving Floor

#96 · (Edited)
Tonight I shot some epoxy primer. It's a first for me doing this type of work and learned a lot. Don't think I'll use the stuff again without reducer. Still had more than my share of runs but it's not easy painting an engine bay. Over all I think I still did Ok. For an amateur.

Used the pass inner fender to get gun and pressure dialed. Yeah it took a bit to get it. Made a mess.

Getting up under all the nooks and crannies wasn't easy either. Used too much product too.

Only bought 1/2 gallon of the epoxy. And think I barely have enough left to do the front fenders.

Last 2 pics...

Next I'll show ya how bad I am going to mess up the color coat.

#110 · (Edited)
First time shooting paint on my own.

First fender I painted was the pass side. Has some orange peel above the trim and top.

Second is a better finish but has some dirt and a sag right on top that I need to fix later. Went a lil too heavy on the first coat in an attempt to minimize the orange peel. This paint doesn't need reducer, but I threw a splash in the gun for the third and final coat on the second fender.

Can't really complain for the cheep paint I used and the best spray gun that $9.99 can buy.

Better shot of the sag
Have that fender hanging upright and hoping it'll level out a bit.

#139 ·
Saving this for future reference for 1.6 TD retrofit plans. Those homemade brake lines are looking as clean and classy as the rest of it. Gonna be a shame to get it dirty, but so fun.

#208 · (Edited)
Seems my volume control for the Richmond is taking the LONG way from Harrisburg Distribution Center. Thanks USPS!!

I just installed the new Kicker CS Series CSC354 3.5" 4-Ohm 30 Watt RMS Coaxial Car Speaker in the dash. Took come cutting so the board clears for the wiring but they otherwise fit OK. I previously got the Old Sound Choice AM FM working so I decided to hook it up. Sounds OK for what it is and I can hear the tunes while driving. [emoji106][emoji106]

Original speakers were TOAST.

#239 · (Edited)
#241 · (Edited)
Recent parts hunt brought this early VW accessory Non-AC center console my way.
Never had a car with a cup holder.
Quick check, seems to fit and I think it's destined for the Jabbit. Has ZVW accessory part number on back. Need to check some books but I think it's real early.

Barn and pigeon poop was free

It cleaned up well and no signs of ever being installed.

#249 ·
Yup, that being said, I know two guys locally that have similar stashes. Both are vw shops, and both have piles and piles of nos parts. I've gotten quite a few from the one, the other one I got some parts from, but spent hours listening to the guy's stories. It was cool, but a bit hard, since I was on a time line that day. [emoji3]

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

#259 · (Edited)
Just finished up the Jabbit.
Changed oil/filter and fuel filter.
No 30mm WP in stock, had (2) 40mm though. Needed to scrounge a pulley with correct offset though, luckily I had one that was perfect. Needed a blast and paint. Also had all the other gaskets and NOS VW lower rad hose. Clearanced the insulator on the Alt. Think the new rad was slightly different dimensions causing the interference. Cleaned up the CV goo, see if it spooges more. All parts used were NOS VW, pulley was used.

Used the pump on the left, completely coated on Old cosmoline. Needed to heat it up to dissolve the SHTuff in solvent.
Gas Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal protective equipment Auto part

Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Wood Gesture Rim Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Also found this... Fixed.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior

Started up, ran till thermostat opened, no leaks under pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.