Anyone Try to Track Their Old Vehicle - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      If you make an account on My Carfax, you can sort of see where your old cars are for free, and it will even tell you where they are being serviced.
      https://www.mycarfax.com/garage

Like I can see that someone bought the 2010 Ranger I sold to CarMax in 2011, then immediately drove it to NYC. It's had a windshield replacement, etc etc. It doesn't seem to show the ultimate fate, but you can kind of get an idea of where they end up.
      First CARVANA now this? You're a genius! Actually really great timing because over the weekend I found a picture of the 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon I grew up riding in. Without paying money I wanted to know where or if it still lived. Turns out it still lives in South San Francisco and now has 223K on the clock as of September.

Edit: Also if you don't have the VIN of your old car but just the plate...if you enter in the plate#, save the car as your vehicle, you will then be able to see your VIN under your car's info.
      Last edited by chucchinchilla; 07-09-2020 at 04:26 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by nix6speed View Post
      I don't track past cars because I have no attachment to them. However, I did find out recently through a Facebook group that my old C6Z dropped a valve and did quite some damage to the motor. I had "fixed" heads and a slew of other NA parts done with no issues in 5k miles after the build. In 12k miles since I sold it there's been four owners and who knows what kind of abuse. Glad it is no longer mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Saw the head and thought "that looks like a really good repair shop could probably fix that..." then saw the block and thought "nevermind".
      Cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      First CARVANA now this? You're a genius! Actually really great timing because over the weekend I found a picture of the 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon I grew up riding in. Without paying money I wanted to know where or if it still lived. Turns out it still lives in South San Francisco and now has 223K on the clock as of September.

Edit: Also if you don't have the VIN of your old car but just the plate...if you enter in the plate#, save the car as your vehicle, you will then be able to see your VIN under your car's info.
      I'm all about that free data!!
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

I got a call to come get my 92 Integra from impound 6 months after I sold it. It got abandoned, I never followed up. Occasionally kick myself for not at least trying to pick it up, probably could have got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I'm all about that free data!!
      How many bagels do we owe by now?

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      1st gen Supra?
      Wow, I've only ever seen one in person, and it was already a beater.
      Yeah, it was in the late 80's. All white body, blue interior. The body was in great condition, the plastics in the hatch were crumbling from being parked outside. 5sp manual was smooth, but it was not very quick overall. Just over 100-110K and it smoked on startup and leaked a lot. I only had it 2 years and nothing ever broke on it. I think I upgraded to the 85 5000S Turbo after that, nicer interior, but it was constantly needing repair.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

Quote Originally Posted by richardjohn View Post
      I didn't try to find my own, but I got the message months later when I exchanged my first generation Supra with dealers. It remained on the side of the highway, a few miles north of it. I expect him to get less oil because he burns and burns more than 1 lakh every two weeks.
      This is very suspicious.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Quote Originally Posted by richardjohn View Post
      I didn't try to find my own, but I got the message months later when I exchanged my first generation Supra with dealers. It remained on the side of the highway, a few miles north of it. I expect him to get less oil because he burns and burns more than 1 lakh every two weeks.
      Put some 20W-50 in it.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Yep, and they are constantly on the move. Which makes sense because they are beautiful but finicky vehicles.

https://carpost.cc/sale/1980-bmw-635-scottsdale

Actually an ‘86

https://www.classic.com/veh/1979-por...10141-nXlVA7n/

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/por...just-done.html

I don’t know what’s become of my old 911 after the guy who bought it from me got destroyed at Barrett Jackson.

The other two cars have changed hands at least twice and always languish for sale. I fear for that turbo, keeping it on the road was like the Apollo Project, always testing it with slightly bigger challenges and then going back to the start when you broke it. There is no way to keep that car on the road without driving it and fixing it’s issues.

Stuff like this confirms my view that the market for cars like these, all great drivers when maintained but not concours is rather small among end users. It is much larger among resellers who pass them among themselves. Dirty business. All of them have been on the move constantly since 2018.

I’ll get my 911 back at that price....
      Last edited by fbobberts; 07-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
      I decided to calculate the actual cost of ownership in 3 years and 0 miles driven(maybe 2-3 miles pushed) the 951 cost me $3695.21(maintenance parts). If I was a betting men, I would bet that this is far from the total this 951 will cost me. (PawaK_2001)

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Good. Sometimes the only way to deal with knuckleheads is to have the lawyers duke it out.

Earlier this week I let my mom know her 1993 Volvo was still cruising the streets of South San Francisco/San Bruno thanks to the Carfax Garage posted by adrew. With that said, my mom had some similar news for me. On his own, my dad found his old Maserati Mexico!

Back in 1979 my dad saw one of these cars on the street here in California and decided to buy one for himself. After much looking he found a used one for sale in Florence, Italy so he got on a plane, flew to Italy, bought the car, and had it shipped back. He kept it a couple of years then replaced it in the early 80's with a Series III XJ6 (he wanted something more comfortable as apparently the Maserati had a rough ride unless you were on the Autostrade). The Maserati was sold to a guy in STL who flew out and drove the car back to Missouri. As history has now shown, that guy drove it a couple years then parked it in his warehouse 1987 where it sat for the next 30 years. The owner sadly passed away two years ago and his entire collection went up for auction last year w/RM Auctions. And here it is in "barn find" condition. What's funny is I can see a couple details leftover from my dad's ownership like keeping the Italian sticker on the windshield, the rear license plate frame from the shop he had it serviced at, the printed labels above the poorly labeled switches, and the coco mats.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/g...vignale/750669
      Last edited by chucchinchilla; 07-16-2020 at 03:04 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

looks like it was sold at the auction.

I tried to track down my old truck in hopes of buying it back if it's not been restored out of my price range...but it's a 59 and the vin is too short to search for.

For at least 6 months I could still use Onstar to locate my Cadillac. I immediately stopped and deleted the app once I found it located at the FBI training facility in Quantico.

I posted something similar in car purchasing forum months ago but it got no traction. I have my old plate and what I think is the vin, carfax shows no activity past 1994. Will the dmv (NY) help track this down to its last owner?

My old 92 Civic Si, sold in 1999, turned up not too far from home.

I drove past it every few weeks in the early 2000's, parked on the street (probably because the owner didn't have off-street parking in the dense apartment neighborhood).

One day I noticed it had been in a fender-bender, and I was pissed.

Eventually, the car disappeared.
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

Confirmed today my old ‘00 M5 went to salvage. Another somewhat high strung car, it was over 180k when I sold it.

I have a theory why there are so many e39s below about 190k left compared to the number above. I think at about that point, fifty percent over the timing chain limit and close to twenty years old, fundamental stuff starts to go en masse. If you really love them you can keep up with maintenance, and the inline sixes in particular are easy to work on.

But the eights and in particular the s62 are another level of complexity in old BMW motors. And it’s not just the motors it’s everything. There are break yards where you can get good used components sometimes, but now even those are starting to feature more worn stuff. ETK has parts but at prohibitive prices. At some point unless you have a prized m5 it becomes more difficult to keep going back to the well. There are many e39s that do get to say 300k but this requires committed ownership.

I’d always considered myself a steward of that car. It was in better shape when I sold it than it was when I bought it. But now it’s off the road and I guess I failed it.

I’m taking this rather hard. It was one of the few cars I have ever owned that I truly loved, and one magical spring day on an remote airstrip in New Mexico, I took that machine at the peak of its powers to 176 mph. It was still pulling but I was running out of room. That car was utterly supernatural above 120mph.
      Last edited by fbobberts; 08-01-2020 at 12:52 PM.
      I decided to calculate the actual cost of ownership in 3 years and 0 miles driven(maybe 2-3 miles pushed) the 951 cost me $3695.21(maintenance parts). If I was a betting men, I would bet that this is far from the total this 951 will cost me. (PawaK_2001)

Good. Sometimes the only way to deal with knuckleheads is to have the lawyers duke it out.

Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      For at least 6 months I could still use Onstar to locate my Cadillac. I immediately stopped and deleted the app once I found it located at the FBI training facility in Quantico.

Almost woke my wife chuckling at that one, would have spit out my coffee if I hadn’t already finished it.

It's at a BHPH dealer in NYC
      The price is not listed yet, I'm curious how much they will list for.
      I still have full access.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      It's at a BHPH dealer in NYC
      The price is not listed yet, I'm curious how much they will list for.
      I still have full access.

I should go check out your old ride, looks like Queens Boulevard (maybe hillside or jamaica though)

I've always wondered what happened to my first car, my golf. I saw it once after i sold it, and that was it. Never again. I'm guessing it's in the scrapyard/been crushed because after all it was a 1993 golf GL. My 2011 Civic Si after I traded it in I never was able to find it again either. It was a blue 2011 Si, kind of wonder where that thing went. I mean I could probably find the VIN's if I looked hard enough but it's probably not worth paying for carfax for that sort of thing haha. I already used up all the carfax I paid for. Oh the days when they gave out unlimited carfax reports for a flat rate
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      Confirmed today my old ‘00 M5 went to salvage. Another somewhat high strung car, it was over 180k when I sold it.

I’d always considered myself a steward of that car. It was in better shape when I sold it than it was when I bought it. But now it’s off the road and I guess I failed it.

I’m taking this rather hard. It was one of the few cars I have ever owned that I truly loved, and one magical spring day on an remote airstrip in New Mexico, I took that machine at the peak of its powers to 176 mph. It was still pulling but I was running out of room. That car was utterly supernatural above 120mph.
      Did you find out why it went to salvage? Was it a crash, or was it mechanical failure?

To many of us here on TCL, our cars are very important to us. This is especially true for cars for which we have invested a lot of time and money. On top of that, an E39 M5 was a collectible car. I am sorry for your loss.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinweiss2 View Post
      Did you find out why it went to salvage? Was it a crash, or was it mechanical failure?

To many of us here on TCL, our cars are very important to us. This is especially true for cars for which we have invested a lot of time and money. On top of that, an E39 M5 was a collectible car. I am sorry for your loss.
      I have a good relationship with the next owner but haven’t spoken to him for awhile. I’ll see what he has to say. Yeah, thanks, man. The other cars were also good cars, but this one hit me hard. I don’t know how collectible this particular e39m5 was but it drove great.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Well, I know exactly where it is

You need to start it and run it out of gas. Then when they're like wtf and fill it up again, start it and run it out of gas. See how many times you can **** with them.

THEN GO IN AND OFFER TO BUY THE POSSESSED CAR FOR CHEAP

You can thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Earlier this week I let my mom know her 1993 Volvo was still cruising the streets of South San Francisco/San Bruno thanks to the Carfax Garage posted by adrew. With that said, my mom had some similar news for me. On his own, my dad found his old Maserati Mexico!

Back in 1979 my dad saw one of these cars on the street here in California and decided to buy one for himself. After much looking he found a used one for sale in Florence, Italy so he got on a plane, flew to Italy, bought the car, and had it shipped back. He kept it a couple of years then replaced it in the early 80's with a Series III XJ6 (he wanted something more comfortable as apparently the Maserati had a rough ride unless you were on the Autostrade). The Maserati was sold to a guy in STL who flew out and drove the car back to Missouri. As history has now shown, that guy drove it a couple years then parked it in his warehouse 1987 where it sat for the next 30 years. The owner sadly passed away two years ago and his entire collection went up for auction last year w/RM Auctions. And here it is in "barn find" condition. What's funny is I can see a couple details leftover from my dad's ownership like keeping the Italian sticker on the windshield, the rear license plate frame from the shop he had it serviced at, the printed labels above the poorly labeled switches, and the coco mats.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/g...vignale/750669

I love how these old cars have such interwoven stories. That is what makes my work so enjoyable. Fred Guyton was a real character - he kept his cars about a mile or so from our shop. His building was kind of amazing... he was basically a hoarder, but with enough money and sense to have enough direction to make it a "collection." He would just buy stuff - and I mean STUFF - oftentimes while he was on a bender. It took two days just to get through the parts and memorabilia before RM could even get to the cars.

As for that Maser, I can think of few cars of that era I'd rather drive cross country than a Mexico. They're fabulous highway machines.*

*When they're working properly.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      I keep a list of all my old VINs. As you can guess, a lot were wrecked and crushed.

97 Nissan Truck 1N6SD16S7VC425469
      Date of loss: 2008-12-31
      Cause of loss: Collision

04 Accord Grey 1HGCM55374A078620
      Date of loss 2017-12-06 Cause of loss Collision
      Damage Type:Junk And Salvage
      Disposition:CRUSH

03 Ion2 1G8AJ52F03Z107267
      Salvage: Damage or Not Specified
      10-02-2015 CALIFORNIA

03 Ion3 1G8AL52F53Z101524
      2018-08-02 Dallas TX Junk And Salvage SOLD

09 Mazda5 JM1CR29L890345835
      Auction: 01-09-2020
      Mileage: 138,370 miles
      Condition: Salvage
      Damage: Front End

17 Accord 1HGCR2E19HA177573
      Lot IAAI #27517486
      Auction Date 2020/05/20, Wednesday
      VIN 1HGCR2E19HA177573
      Primary Damage Front End
      Secondary Damage Rear
      Odometer 42889 mi Actual
      Start Code Run & Drive
      Keys Key(s) Present
      Title State/Type: SALVAGE (New Hampshire)

Some just dropped off the face of the earth, my guess is salvage as there are no new registration, emission or service records.

My old 2015 QX60 just turned up for sale less than a year after I traded it. I was behind my old Pilot the other day, still looked mint being driven by a nice family.
      Where is this list from?

I've done the mycarfax thing on two of my older cars...My old Volvo looks like it was crashed shortly after I sold it, it was never re-registered, and my 6mt E91 had the registration due in March but it hasn't been renewed yet...I'm worried that one is wrecked too My 2006 E90 was sold to the wife of a BMW mechanic, and it was last registered in June at 220k.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast