$50k Negotiated or Less - AWD, New - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: New car for $50k or Less?

Voters
    62. You may not vote on this poll
    • GLB 250

1 1.61%
    • GLB 35 AMG (Wldcard)

5 8.06%
    • GLC 300

0 0%
    • C300

1 1.61%
    • Arteon SEL-P-R

10 16.13%
    • Q3 Prestige

1 1.61%
    • XC40 R-Design

3 4.84%
    • Smoke weed everyday

22 35.48%
    • Hit crubs n fents n burshes

6 9.68%
    • Manual brown diesel wagon

13 20.97%
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Yep. Been out of service for 38 of the past 40 days through today due to misfires. 29 and counting at the dealer, and 9 more sitting in the driveway basically undriveable waiting to go back to the dealer. Since June 21st there have been 2 full calendar days that the car was driveable. The other 38 days, it's either been at the dealer for full or partial day, or sitting in the driveway needing to go back for returning CELs/misfires..
      how old is it? buy back/lemon eligible? that's terrible

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post
      CX-5 GTR Turbo AWD or Signature Turbo AWD ($38k MSRP)

5) App remote start (not fob) - CHECK
      Does it even work though? Last I heard it was so atrocious it still hadn't been updated for phone screens past the iPhone 5 from like 5 years ago, and it was so bad that Mazda dealers won't even try to sell you on it (not to mention the fact it requires extra hardware you have to pay for). People were saying it takes literally like 2 minutes to log into or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      how old is it? buy back/lemon eligible? that's terrible
      Just over 3 years, which is bizarre; no problems for three years and the first problem can't seem to be fixed. Not eligible for lemon law nor manufacturer's arbitration program due to time. I do have consumer protections and mediation available through the attorney general though, if it gets to that point.

Thanks, I should probably look at BMW again, I feel like in recent years they've lost the plot so bad and I got burned bigtime on one years ago that it turned me off to the brand. I of course would need M sport so that's $5k+ right there with the 20s, and then they make me pay another nearly $3k just to get lumbar support. Typical BMW, but might be worth a look.
      Definitely worth a look, the X3 is one of the most promising cars for the old BMW values in a long time; it's fun, taut, and actually has a little bit of steering feel in there. I know you mentioned Macan, I've spent some time with both and 4-cyl to 4-cyl would actually take the X3 over the Macan in most circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Yet!

Kidding aside, that totally blows. That's a 2014-2015 issue, right? Hopefully min doesn't start doing it after I get it back. "Sir, we fixed the clunk but now your HPFP is chirping."
      2016, apparently if its the hpfp it "doesnt affect function", the timing belt quirk apparently comes back after a time.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Grand Cherokee Limited or Limited X with the Hemi V8.

Yes, it's on its way out, but it's a great vehicle all around. It's got a nice, smooth ride, quiet, well featured with all the stuff you want, and also capable off road. And it's sized right, imo.

And you can get them discounted, but even at MSRP the Limited X V8 comes in at just under $50K.
      Came to suggest this, but with 2 caveats

1. The WL (new platform) is expected late next year as a '22
      2. The short run '21 might see a freshening - the platform mate Durango is.

You could even put the Durango on the list. It's an old platform, but the mechanicals are proven, and the refresh keeps it looking good (assuming you can wait a few months).
      Last edited by davewg; 07-30-2020 at 01:06 PM.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Base price is $48K, but I bet by September you will see some on dealer lots for $45K or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post

Base price is $48K, but I bet by September you will see some on dealer lots for $45K or less.
      I have hope for the new CT5-V (3.0L TT V6 from CT6) and Blackwing (I assume same supercharged 6.2L V8 as previous gen CTS-V?). Also the new CT4 Blackwing (also, I assume the same 3.6LTT V6 from the ATS-V?). Same Alpha chassis, same great steering.

Johan de Nysschen helped maybe Cadillac sedans even more invisible in the marketplace with his stupid re-naming scheme. Guaranteed they'll continue to not sell but be brilliant to drive.

And speaking of brands he helped sink, for 50K I'd also look at Q50 Red Sport.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Golf R actually fits a road bike with the back seats down and the front passenger manipulated. Don’t have to take off the front wheel either. AWD and less than $50k.

Hit the Volvo dealer this morning, also planned to toodle up the road to Mazda (CX-5T) and Audi (Q3 and A/S3) but didn't get past Volvo before I had to deal with my buddy's divorce drama and have a consoling lunch where I just say the same shiz over and over

Drove an XC40 R-Design. I was super curious about this being that it's more like my first gen Tiguan than anything else I'm looking at. I had high hopes.

-Fit and finish was ok, but plastics inside are just not good, sorry, feel free to disagree but the center console plastics are awful.
      -Great driving position as expected, same as Tiguan
      -Visibility is fine
      -Bit more body roll than expected, but this had poverty 18s or whatever on it so not fair
      -NVH probably average for the class, no complaints
      -Touch climate controls are maddening, it would be better if they were just capacitive labeled touch buttons but they are fully integrated into the infotainment. Awful awful awful.
      -Power is alright, but I found myself expecting more for +50 hp/tq over my tiguan. Felt like +20?
      -Throttle mapping was good
      -Nice fat steering wheel
      -Seats are just normal, nothing fancy bolstering-wise
      -Only car I've ever been in where I clearly could hear the difference between engine noise and pumped in noise, strange

Ultimately, it's off the list. It's just not worth anywhere near upper $40s tarted up, and dealers aren't willing to deal either, like $1300 off demos/loaners and $800 off $50k new ones? F that. I had high hopes, but I'm not surprised it feels so overpriced considering it's so similar to my Tiguan that I paid less than $32k for after like $6k off. At $35k it's borderline, at like $48k no way.

It has potential to be great, but they need to refine it a bit. Probably be a great car at the end of the run before they redesign it later, but right now it's a bit half baked.
      Last edited by puma1552; 07-31-2020 at 06:52 PM.

2020/2021 MINI Countryman JCW

Needs:
      • AWD
      • will fit a road bike inside (front wheel off), roof rails are standard if you want to get a roof rack
      • New
      • 300HP
      • under $50k negotiated (probably more like $42k-$45k negotiated)

Wants:
      • no ventilated seats, but the JCW alcantara seats are nice and won't get hot
      • Seat memory on the the leather seats, but not the JCW seats
      • Sunroof standard with Signature Plus and Iconic trim
      • Remote start not available
      • Minimal safety junk

In covid times you can get 15%+ off sticker on any car easy. Anyone telling you different is losing money.

A Q5 PP with the warm weather package seems to fit the bill. X3 is too expensive with the right options but is a great vehicle. The 252hp EA888gen3 is a fantastic engine, I shopped every SUV in the segment and the Q5 was the clear standout (XC60 second place)
      2020 GTI Autobahn - Pure White - DSG
      Totaled - 2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - all the goodies

Ventilated seat option is the only thing in the list that you may not be able to get for that price range. But thanks to COVID-19, you can get a fully loaded 2019 Audi A4 Allroad for well under $50K OTD. See if you have any in your hood. Warm weather package will have ventilated seats, like this one:

https://www.audidominion.com/new/Aud...6529327cda.htm

It's currently $10K off, and 0% APR was avaialble (until July 31).
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 08-01-2020 at 11:31 AM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Came to suggest this, but with 2 caveats

1. The WL (new platform) is expected late next year as a '22
      2. The short run '21 might see a freshening - the platform mate Durango is.

You could even put the Durango on the list. It's an old platform, but the mechanicals are proven, and the refresh keeps it looking good (assuming you can wait a few months).
      The Durango is getting a refresh because it’s not being replaced anytime soon. The GC will remain the same until the WL rolls out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Out driving solo today, quick lunch pit stop.

1) A3 - shockingly quicker than expected. Had final edition package with sport seats and fat steering wheel. Seats were fine, steering wheel was great. NVH as expected, S-tronic is fun. Even in comfort mode this car was responsive. Good driving position, love the analog gauges on that particular model. Really no complaints other than it's just tiny inside, might be hard to live with even as someone who likes small cars. Forget putting a road bike inside even with the front wheel off. Not off the list, but unlikely.

2) Q3 - disappointed tbh. I came away feeling like it's: "Fine." Felt super detuned even in dynamic mode, barely felt a difference between dynamic and comfort. Again good driving position like all Audi/VWs with the adjustable armrest and wide range of seat height positions. Nice materials, pretty easy car to live with. It suits its purpose well, but it's an Audi - another 20-30 hp and an S-tronic wouldn't kill it to have. Probably crossing this off the list, I don't love the look either, even with S-line and 20s - again, it's "fine" and that's about all there is to say.

3) Arteon - proper German higher end VW, pretty quiet, soaks up bumps no problem even on 20s which I didn't expect, but that long wheelbase does its job. Drove smaller than it is which I also liked. Handling was decent but didn't have many roads nearby to really try it out. One major letdown - it's just lazy, this car is screaming for a DSG, which would really make it great. I expected a bit more get up and go even with the 8 speed, even in sport mode it's just a bit lazy. Great highway/GT cruiser, as intended, just needs a little more power and a DSG and it would be a real gem. Not off the list though.

4) GTI - great seats, great steering feel, and just excellent brakes. My sole gripe with my Tig is it's substantially underbraked. I thought I just needed to get used to my Tig coming off a car with 14" Brembos but time has proven the Tig's brakes just blow, so the GTI brakes were a nice change. Can't beat this car in a lower trim from a value standpoint. Soundaktor is a bit ridiculous, but goes with the territory. DSG is responsive, but maybe not quite as quick as an S-tronic? It is a bit of a buzzy car to daily, but I'm used to that. Would I buy it? Probably not, though I don't have a very good reason why. Just not me?

5) Poverty spec Passat loaner I'm in - I really don't hate this car?? Better than that MQB Tig I had.
      Last edited by puma1552; 08-02-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      The Durango is getting a refresh because it’s not being replaced anytime soon. The GC will remain the same until the WL rolls out.
      Makes complete sense.

Honestly, I'm hoping my wife gives up on three rows (the kids are 19 and 21 now), and we can perhaps consider a second model year WL.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Rounded out the day with two more:

1) CX-5 Signature - ventilated seats are ok, I remembered them working better when my wife drove it but probably because it was March and cool outside, but I still liked them and will take what I can get ventilation-wise, even if I felt nothing on my butt (mostly felt on the back, was wearing just a single tshirt). This car continues to feel big, but very well put together. Power is adequate, nothing fancy, handling is fine. I noticed something I didn't notice when my wife drove it - even at 160 lbs I feel something really hard in the side ass bolsters, like the frame of the seat? I'm not THAT heavy and not wide, so, wtf? Also think pushing a tiny button on the door handle both to lock - and unlock - is a step back from Kessy. This is a great car on paper, but I just feel like it's bulky and bloated on the road and ultimately just such a departure for me, it's just not me I think. Also been to this dealership twice and both times the experience was meh, definitely pushing to make a sale.

2) JLU - whoo boy, you in a FCA dealer and you'll know it. Went to the volume dealer which admittedly is in the same building it's been in for thirty years. There was no front desk, just like an octagon room of crappy little partitioned desks all the way around with just two Jeeps in the middle and you basically stand there awkward surrounded by people with questionable credit rolling negative equity into Cherokees and Renegades until a hustler comes up. Hustler was nice enough, but if you wanna take the car out on your own you'll be signing a full tilt before and after inspection rental form (no other dealer has required this, VW didn't even ask for a license or take my name, lol) and I sh!t you not one of the checkboxes they look at before and after is whether there any any cigarette burns on the interior, lmmfao. As for the JLU itself, as expected it's hard as sh!t for someone my height to get in and out and my wife would never go for it, so that's out based on that alone. Once you're in it though you realize this is a stupid car to daily, because it's truly a dedicated tool. It would be the tool of choice in a rugged environment, and I decided snow doesn't require this level of hardcore tool. Drove well for what it is though, blows around the road a tad and steering is vague with play on center, which is probably by design since it's easy to roll. I never drove a Wrangler but was always curious, now I have and can rest easy knowing it's not for me. Good thing they didn't notice the cherry burn I put in the passenger seat upon return, whew...hopefully the guy trading in a ratted out X6M was as lucky on his test drive.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to the CX-5 are being big or bloated. It's one of the more smaller/nimble feeling CUV's in the market. It's not hatchback or sedan, but if felt like a Miata compared to the new Tiguan for example. Heck my Stelvio feels huge compared to the CX-5

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to the CX-5 are being big or bloated. It's one of the more smaller/nimble feeling CUV's in the market. It's not hatchback or sedan, but if felt like a Miata compared to the new Tiguan for example. Heck my Stelvio feels huge compared to the CX-5
      Everything just feels bulky. The doors feel 6" thick, and everything is just really bulky/not lean feeling inside, even the frame of the AC vents feels bulky, this interior could clearly be leaned out significantly without losing the feeling of quality:

The enormous dash hump in front of the steering wheel doesn't help either:

Its a nice interior, but it just feels completely bloated inside.

Everything just feels bulky. The doors feel 6" thick, and everything is just really bulky/not lean feeling inside, even the frame of the AC vents feels bulky, this interior could clearly be leaned out significantly without losing the feeling of quality:

The enormous dash hump in front of the steering wheel doesn't help either:

Hmm to each their own I suppose. I mean I am biased cause I got one for the wife, but I find their interior very minimalist and "clean" personally.

On the flip side. Have you tried driving a Stelvio Q4? I wouldnt personally own one long term due to potential reliability 2020's have upgraded interior which is nice.

2) Q3 - disappointed tbh. I came away feeling like it's: "Fine." Felt super detuned even in dynamic mode, barely felt a difference between dynamic and comfort. Again good driving position like all Audi/VWs with the adjustable armrest and wide range of seat height positions. Nice materials, pretty easy car to live with. It suits its purpose well, but it's an Audi - another 20-30 hp and an S-tronic wouldn't kill it to have. Probably crossing this off the list, I don't love the look either, even with S-line and 20s - again, it's "fine" and that's about all there is to say.
      If only Audi sold a better/non-disappointing compact CUV with a Dual Clutch and 20-30 more hp? That would be crazy, ha?

When we test drove the CX-5 it definitely feels bigger than its interior size would suggest. It's more of a function of the car feeling smaller than its outside dimensions suggest, which is actually a common complaint of the CX-5. It's actually one of my main reservations about the car, even though my wife loves it and wants one to replace our Outback. Its thick structure and big blind spots don't do it justice in that area, but it succeeds in making the car feel smaller, if that's your bag.

Came in to suggest A4 Allroad. Out of your choices I would go Arteon
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

Honestly I'm pretty easy to please, but I also acknowledge a lot of cars in the poll even at $50k can't meet the first five of these, might not have a choice.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

Given how this thread is going I'm going to suggest a loaded Golf Alltrack. Lots of features, AWD, more room in the back for bike storage w/wheels on, priced in the mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast