VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My 2005 Solar Yellow Celica GTS w/ Action Package

37K views 296 replies 88 participants last post by  txskatium 
#1 · (Edited)
I figure I should start a new thread since the last one was about purchasing a car, and now that I have the car, well, the topic has evolved quite a bit.

Currently the to do list includes:

Car needs a good detail. I gave it a bath and found a few blemishes, there's a small dent in the right front fender, and a few scratches and a couple paint chips in the rear left quarter panel. The bottom of the skirts and front bumper spoilers have some normal scrapes from bottoming out over the years. The carpet has a few slight stains from previous owner eating something in the car. There are some rattles from various plastic bits in the interior. Hatch lift support struts are blown - ordered monroe replacement struts. The tire iron and cardboard that goes above the spare tire has some corrosion and needs to be replaced.

I plan to keep the car mostly if not entirely stock. A few wants:
-Cold air intake (if I can find one that doesn't require hacking away half the car to install it - looks like this k&n might be the best bet but it's unclear if this works with the 2zz, the install guide is for a 1zz) Most of the true cold air intakes that have the filter in the fender well require cutting a bunch of stuff to install. I think this kn kit is the best of both worlds, easy to install like a short ram but with that heat shield it should be a bit less of a hot air intake than a typical short ram.

-The stereo has no AUX jack or bluetooth, so I've been using an FM to bluetooth adapter. The issue is the FM antenna seems to get a lot of static, so I'm not sure if there is an issue with the antenna or what. It gets static on regular FM channels, not just with my adapter. I think there are aux adapters you can get for the factory JBL system that just plug into the back of the head unit. Ideally would like to leave the stock head unit and get the aux adapter if I can. The difference in quality from using the FM radio vs a CD is massive. It's definitely got good sound quality if it weren't' for the static.

-Possibly a replacement shift knob in the future. The stock one is a pretty generic looking leather wrapped shift knob. It's nice but nothing special.

I just de-dealership-badged it. Waiting for my new plates...

I found this hilarious intake setup on youtube btw... this is so stupid https://i.imgur.com/foUR7R7.png

edit:

more pictures of the car and trip getting it home from Austin, TX to Boston,MA here

https://imgur.com/a/iFIktKb

sellers pictures before I bought it:

https://imgur.com/a/yh8bX3T

See less See more
#51 ·
Great, car, what a find! Kind of rare these days, I can't remember the last time I saw one in person.

Take care of it then flip it on BaT in a couple years for twice what you paid for it. :laugh:

#63 · (Edited)
I keep going back and forth on wanting an intake/exhuast for this car. It's wayyyy too quiet... I don't want some crazy loud exhaust but I'd like it a bit louder. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get this KN 57i intake and go from there. I'm not sure if this is the best option but it seems like it's the only short ram that has a sort of bracket for airflow and potentially blocking out the hot air from the rest of the engine bay. The rest are just stuck into the engine bay without a care in the world, or you shove it into the fender but you have to chop up the fender which isn;'t something I want to do. easily reversible bolt on mods is the only thing I will consider for this car.

Oh the other thing with an aftermarket exhaust is this car has a bumper mounted exhaust tip, though it's supposedly removable with a couple screws... will have to look at it closely.

the only issue with the kn is it doesn't specify if it fits the GTS, and the instructions are for a GT... so IDK.

https://www.carid.com/2005-toyota-celica-air-intakes/kn-air-intakes-57i-series-377235638.html

#68 ·
First and probably the only mod this car will get for a while - 2nd hand k&n typhoon short ram air intake... Typhoon intake for a Tsunami Celica.... right. No video can do justice to how this thing sounds compared to the factory air box, especially the crossover for VVTL-i, it's so ****ing loud up top now! so happy with it. Need to do a bit of a better job managing some of the hoses but super happy with it so far!

One thing I'm not too happy about:
I cleaned the entire trunk and spare tire well and found out that there was mold growing on the bottom of the spare. I'm likely going to have to throw out every piece of fabric in the trunk as I have washed them several times and they still have that musty smell... I'll keep trying to clean them for now though, any suggestions??? None of the rest of the car has this smell, only the trunk mats.... thankfully...

#69 ·
You can absolutely salvage the fabric.

Go buy a mold/mildew killing spray cleaner that doesn't contain any bleach (Any hardware store will have something like this). Spray the affected fabric and soak it, then let it dry completely. Keeping it out in the sun will also help. Then wash the heck out of it with lots of Dawn dish soap and hot water. Then sun dry it again.

#74 · (Edited)
I think I have to remove the sound deadening material that is under the spair. It's about the size of the spare and its glued on. IDK exactly how to remove it, I got some off by just peeling it but it's just crumbling up. I'm fairly sure this is the rest of the smell. It's weird nothing else in the car smells and I never even noticed it until I removed the spare tire... It's the only thing left that isn't metal that was under the mats.

I'll give the suggestions mentioned a shot when I can. For now everything is outside in the sun. and i've been trying to keep the hatch open so it'll air out. I'm pretty sure the primary culprit is the spare tire.

#77 ·
well I got a set of corolla S wheels for $80 that are in pretty decent shape. Got them so I can throw some winter tires on it.... will stay sitting on the factory 16" wheels for now but I figured I'd throw them up next to the car for a pic

working on getting quotes for fluid film or krown rust proofing...
I did get a quote for ceramic coating but I didn't realize how much that stuff costs... it was like 1500-$2k just for the ceramic coating and paint correction, not counting the few small dents and stuff that need to be fixed...

#82 · (Edited)
I'm not the least bit surprised. Sounds like you have the same issues with yours that I outlined with mine. You need to pull the back seats and make sure water isn't underneath the bottom cushions. Also wouldn't hurt to check the sunroof drains. The glass panels are supposed to be better than the plastic ones on earlier cars but all were susceptible to leaking once the seals began to shrink or dry rot.

The culprit for your rear leak is the rear quarter windows. They leak at the seams thru the rear fenders and it puddles into the bottom of the rear seats and the spare tire well. That's why all your tools and carpet are rusty/musty.

Proper cleaning requires pulling the entire rear half of the interior and caulk sealing the welds and seams at the bottom of the rear windows. It was a whole weekend job for me in my garage.

I seem to also remember the hatch at the top was a potential leak point as well, but I didn't have that issue. Direction on where to pull apart and seal is dependent on where the water is pooling.

#87 ·
The trunk carpets were savable, but the spare and spare tire cover are going to the trash. I was able to get all the smell out with a crapload of CLR Mold+Mildew spray, rinsed with a hose and sun dried, followed by further drying in a vented closet with a space heater. No more smell. The spare tire and cardboard spare cover still smell though, and I see more white fuzz re-appearing on the spare.... so I'm gonna just throw them both out. I was able to cut some plywood to fit and used some 3m command velcro adhesive to secure it, worked out pretty well IMO...

#89 ·
I actually have a bunch of random Celica parts from this generation because my sister wrecked her's and I yanked a bunch of stuff out of it before sending it off to the yard. It's been a while, so a bunch has sold already. Let me know if you need anything and I can pick thru it to see if I still have it.

#95 ·
it's not like I am going to be driving it in the snow. I'm most likely going to be doing online courses as well given the pandemic situation, so I probably won't even have to leave the house in the winter. I do plan on getting undercoating and looking into possibly ceramic coating it but the current quote I have for ceramic coating is a bit out there (1500-2000 ish.)

#101 ·
Some small updates... ordered a invidia n1 catback 2nd hand off a celica group on facebook, should be here in a week I'd guess. got a set of winter tires for the corolla S wheels, some general altimax winter tires. Installed some stoptech slotted rotors and EBC red stuff pads as the front brakes were a bit noisy and slightly warped.

test fitting the corolla S wheels with the new tires... still too early to put them on.

#105 ·
For sure, if you want to keep the car as nice as it currently is, not driving it in the winter and storing it properly (somewhere dry) is the best solution. As I see, not using the car this winter doesn't seem to be an option for you.
You are taking the proper precautions by having the car sprayed with a rustproofing fluid film. You are probably already aware that dust and all sort of grime will stick to the car from now on. Make sure that they spray inside the panels and body as well. Rinsing the car often (at least once a month) is definitely gonna be super critical, especially the underside, wheel wells and the engine compartment. All of the bolts, clamps, screws, nuts, etc will more than likely form some sort of oxidation.
Also, get some rubber carpets to catch the snow and salt off your boots. You can go even further by putting newspaper under those carpets and changing them out every now and then. You absolutely want to avoid getting wet the sound deadening material under the carpets, because it stays humid and will make your floors rust out.
Driving the car for only one winter will probably have a very limited impact on the car, unless you put on tons of miles on the highway and/or drive a lot in the city.
My father has been doing this for decades with mk2 jettas, and it works. We are very finicky about keeping our cars truly rot free. Rustproofing with an oil based product, frequent rinsing and proper carpeting goes a hell of a long way.

#107 ·
By the time you buy one of those, and fix it up to pass inspection, tax it and tag it, I bet you are $4k+ in.

Just let the guy drive his car and stop hounding him about it, not everyone has the ability to run different cars per season.

#108 ·
I'm with you and OP. My FIL drove his '01 Celica for 18 years in CT and only replaced it last year because well, he could after 18 years of driving it. He took care of it by washing it occasionally, but nothing special like Fluid Film or anything.

It never broke down or was even close to it, it wasn't rotting out (actually looked pretty good) - he just wanted something new, and something a little more comfortable for the more frequent jaunts to come see his grandson (pre-Covid). He actually went with a 4-door ('19 Camry XSE) for that reason. He sold it to his mechanic for his son's first car. Kid lucked out big time with that one.

#110 · (Edited)
installed the invidia axleback exhaust. sounds amazing at wide open throttle. putting around its just kind of boomy, deep, bassy, loud and annoying. video doesn't really do it justice its VERY VERY loud.

[video]https://i.imgur.com/rA0BvK8.mp4[/video]

(please excuse my terrible driving)

[video]https://i.imgur.com/ypaOs1a.mp4[/video]

in real life it's a lot louder, very deep tone.
[video]https://i.imgur.com/k4aJlTj.mp4[/video]

one issue is the fitment is terrible with the action pack/tsunami bumper this car has. I'm probably going to cut it slightly at the bottom corners where its rubbing. shouldn't affect being able to reinstall the factory tip if i just trim a small amount off

here is how it sounded stock (with the aem intake I think)

[video]https://i.imgur.com/uzVsTkT.mp4[/video]

factory exhaust: compare it to the picture of the invidia in the previous post.

#112 ·
Probably going to put the exhaust back to stock. not happy with it - way too much droning.

put my winter wheels/tires on... grabbed some corolla S wheels off facebook and puit some general altimax arctic 12 tires on. 195/65/15 i think
I think the wheels look good, better than I thought they would. The tires so far feel really weird, feels like the sidewalls are folding over every turn, not exactly confidence inspiring. The car feels really floaty at the limit.

also got weathertech floor mats all around, AVM HD cut-to-fit mats for the foot wells and a weathertech direct fit for the trunk.

#114 ·
that seems like a decent deal depending on what is actually left in the car. seems like he stripped some stuff and theres hardly any pictures of the car so hard to say what it's actually worth without seeing more. also he ran a 75 shot of nitrous through it... probably a decent car for somebody looking for a cheap FWD track car but not a reliable daily driver. also he has a lot of track oriented bushings in the car, that thing is probably really noisy.

#120 ·
Put a fresh AEM dryflow filter and AEM silicone adapter to replace the old KN filter and adapter. Filter had some damage to it, and the coupler was getting sucked in as it was too soft and flexible. This coupler is a good deal thicker and less flexible... I think it sounds better now. The stock intake with the invidia catback sounds good but with the short ram the induction noise is just so much better, and when VVTL-i kicks in yo, it sounds pretty insane. Still drones a lot. Not sure what to do about the droning, I want a TRD exhaust but they're like impossible to find... Might see if I can get a resonator added on or replace the stock resonator maybe. Not sure.

also you can see the fluid film is all over the strut tower and fire wall, as well as the hood latch and some other spots. They really put that stuff everywhere. makes working on the car a bit messy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.