My 2005 Solar Yellow Celica GTS w/ Action Package - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      Nice. Was also following your progress over at TN. The one post you had was locked.
      Yeah I was getting bombarded by spam and asked the mods to lock it.

They may not be xenons but they work surprisingly well. Honestly one of the best halogen headlight setups I've driven.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That redline!!!!!!

Was this a mod to the Corolla platform? Or it’s own structure?

That’s a crazy looking car, it’s awesome. The pics of the windshield wings shown above had me laughing.
      There’s an old guy around here that still rocks a beat up special edition Celica....I think it’s a Panasonic Edition? Was that a thing?

Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greyvdub_v2.0 View Post
      classic elite.mafia...no mention of the kind car lounger who directed him to this car...

just remember, you on your own searching for a new car left you buying a POS Elantra. Show some humility and appreciation.

and since when does the CL give a F about a build thread that includes changing out a shift knob on a 12k time-capsule.
      #YouOKSis?
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

What an incredible time capsule.

And a 15 year old car with less than 15k miles? Who owned this? Could they even drive? Was it purchased just before the owner was sent to prison for a long haul?

Seriously, how many owners has this car had?

Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      Was this a mod to the Corolla platform? Or it’s own structure?

That’s a crazy looking car, it’s awesome. The pics of the windshield wings shown above had me laughing.
      There’s an old guy around here that still rocks a beat up special edition Celica....I think it’s a Panasonic Edition? Was that a thing?

Keep us updated!

Never heard of a Panasonic edition. Maybe a previous generation celica?

A lot of bits are shared with the corolla but I'm not sure to what extent. It's the same motor and gearbox as the matrix xrs and corolla xrs. It's got the exact same wheelbase as the 9th Gen corolla but beyond that, i don't think any of the suspension is shared. Lots of shared parts though, such as the rear brake setup, and backing plate, wheel hub is all the exact same. Which means I need a set of matrix m theory wheels....

Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      Never heard of a Panasonic edition. Maybe a previous generation celica?
      Looked into the Google machine....Panasonic edition was a limited run for Canada... 800 cars.
      It was an Action pack, with a special stereo, and unique seat trim, mats, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      OMG having school flashbacks now! This was a HOT car back then, still looks pretty good IMO

Don't the GTS models have an issue with the transmission, erm rather drivers who can easily trash the car by shifting wrong?
      That was corrected on MY 2002 and up.

Nobody else is confused as to why there are Wisconsin plates on a Texas car that was moved to Mass?

I mean i definitely appreciate the yellow on yellow; but how?

Quote Originally Posted by deftonesfan867 View Post
      Ohio makes me wanna punch babies.

1990 300ZX TT, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Volvo V70 2.5T, 2002 Jetta TDI, 1997 Golf GTI Truck - RWD

I have to be honest. I really wanted one of these when I was a teenager until I realized it was all show and no go. Still looked awesome at the time. Cool pick-up

Awesome. RCR is right, we are approaching "Aught-stalgia."

Quote Originally Posted by amusante1002 View Post
      I have to be honest. I really wanted one of these when I was a teenager until I realized it was all show and no go. Still looked awesome at the time. Cool pick-up
      They may not be really fast, but they have a high redline and are ridiculously light. Less than 2500lbs. Although those aspects aren't something a teenager typically appreciates.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Awesome. RCR is right, we are approaching "Aught-stalgia."
      RCR's review on this car and the matrix XRS were full of incorrect "know it all" type of misinformation. He tries to make the claim that somehow the 2zz-ge in the celica is not the same yamaha headed 2zz-ge used in the lotus elise/evora... uh. The only difference between the 2 cars is the elise/evora have a different ECU and tune. Also watching that dude try to drive a car is the most cringeworthy thing ever. I remember one review of a ae86 where he money shifted the dudes car like 3 times.... IDK if the video still exists. Also his review on the GTS was on the horrible 4 speed automatic, which kills the entire point of the high revving 2zz motor...

In fact there is a ton of misinformation about the 2zz-ge spread as fact on youtube. Like these motors are apparently notorious for having oiling issues. AFAIK there is a couple issues with the 2zz-ge that actually exist. Early 2zz-ge's had weak lift bolts that could break and cause lift to not engage. Depending on how they break they can be a bitch to get out. 2003 model year cars and later have the issue fixed. The oil pan has no baffle so during very long high speed cornering you can potentially oil starve the motor. That's something that realistically only will come up if you are tracking the car, and if you are, just throw a 1zz oil pan (because they are baffled) or aftermarket moroso pan on it and issue=solved (supposedly)

Another myth that I'm not really sure is true is that earlier 7th gen celicas had very screwy shifters that made going from 2nd to 1st instead of 3rd (ie money shifting) a bit easier than it should be, leading to money shifts. IDK if the shifter in my celica or the matrix XRS are very different to the ones with that issue but I just don't see it... The gates on the celica shifter are narrow but the return spring and bushings are very stiff so it's very obvious which gear you are going into when you shift... Maybe if you shift extremely fast and are careless, but that's the case with ANY manual car IMO.

Please tell me this isn't going to be subjected to Boston winters.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      If I rent out the Hyundai Elantra on Turo I may be able to afford to keep it and use that for winter, but IDK. Will have to see, most likely I'll sell that thing and buy a stupid cheap camry

I don't want to run this in the winter but I'm not sure if I can afford to insure 2 cars. My insurance costs have been very high due to some accident history.

Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post
      Nobody else is confused as to why there are Wisconsin plates on a Texas car that was moved to Mass?

I really don't understand it myself to be honest but the car is titled in Wisconsin under a texas address.... I drove it home on the previous owners plates and am waiting for my new plates and registration from my insurance agent. guy i bought it from inherited it from his Aunt, who was the original owner and lived in Wisconsin.
      Last edited by elite.mafia; 07-30-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post

It's a true yellow with a reddish yellow plate. It'll look better with a different plate.

Quote Originally Posted by amusante1002 View Post
      The GTS has the more powerful 180 hp engine as opposed to the ST and GT, which had 140 hp. The GTS revved much higher, too. It was also considered THE best handling front wheel drive car at the time.

I'd be tickled to death to have that car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It's a true yellow with a reddish yellow plate. It'll look better with a different plate.

The GTS has the more powerful 180 hp engine as opposed to the ST and GT, which had 140 hp. The GTS revved much higher, too. It was also considered THE best handling front wheel drive car at the time.

I'd be tickled to death to have that car.

IMO the car was always in the background of better stuff like the Integra Type R. Toyota made a fantastic car but in comparison to the Type R it really doesn't hold up. The gearing is too tall and the VVTL-i system is not as easily accessible. Honda's shorter gearing and lower VTEC engagement is what makes that car so much nicer to drive fast. Honda also seems to have a larger, cheaper aftermarket for the car. 2zz-ge performance parts are pretty damn expensive. This car is fun and handles great, don't get me wrong, but you will find moments where you are outside of lift and the car will barely want to move at all. There's a really telling video about this that perfectly illustrates the issue. And the 2zz-ge's cam changeover is much more aggressive than VTEC in the b18. The power bump is much more noticable and substantial. I've seen some dyno's that show trying to lower lift to like 5800rpm ends up in less power because of how aggressive the secondary cam profile is.

Wow. I think this, the Tiburon, Integra, and the 1997-era Mitsu Eclipse were the coolest cars to have in high school
      ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Wow. I think this, the Tiburon, Integra, and the 1997-era Mitsu Eclipse were the coolest cars to have in high school
      Honestly, I didn't have an appreciation for these cars in high school, not until much later when I drove my FIL's '01 GT a bunch. It's essentially a FWD Miata, with a little bit of understeer (nothing a big sway bar can't fix) along with half a back seat and a usable hatchback. Like the NA Miata I was driving at the time, it didn't have much power (although being light, it probably had a similar power/weight to the NA) but even the basic GT had excellent handling for a FWD. Being a dumb high schooler know-it-all (from magazine racing) I didn't appreciate his dorky Celica.

The GTS made it that much spicier, but I also remember common complaint being the lift profiles and gearing being mismatched (falling off the high-lift cam between shifts) and not being "as good as" Honda VTEC. But I submit that these have stood the test of time, and are much more appreciated now than they were when new.

CSB - my FIL was in between the GT and the Mitsu Eclipse when he bought his back in 2001. That was when the Burger King Eclipse had just come out, so given that he got 18+ solid years out of his Celica, he made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      ^this

Period correct comment: Lower it.

I was always bothered by how inset the small wheels were on these cars and its only exacerbated by the body kit. Any plans for lower offset wheels or at least spacers?

Another myth that I'm not really sure is true is that earlier 7th gen celicas had very screwy shifters that made going from 2nd to 1st instead of 3rd (ie money shifting) a bit easier than it should be, leading to money shifts. IDK if the shifter in my celica or the matrix XRS are very different to the ones with that issue but I just don't see it... The gates on the celica shifter are narrow but the return spring and bushings are very stiff so it's very obvious which gear you are going into when you shift... Maybe if you shift extremely fast and are careless, but that's the case with ANY manual car IMO.
      I owned an 00 for a few years, which was, in my biased opinion, the best year. The shifter wasn't exactly screwy, but the gates were stupid tight and upshifting into 4th from 3rd was real easy to accidentally hit 2nd. It's the only car I have ever just about money shifted. Did so while pulling away from a toll booth, and thankfully I caught myself as I was letting the clutch pedal back out. I don't remember if it was 01 or 02 where they revised the gates between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 and made them wider to fix that issue, but in 02 they also lowered the redline, but then returned it in 03. Actually the reverse gear was next to 1 as well with no lockout, and there were a couple times I even accidentally put it into reverse when trying to hit 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofernest View Post
      Period correct comment: Lower it.

I was always bothered by how inset the small wheels were on these cars and its only exacerbated by the body kit. Any plans for lower offset wheels or at least spacers?
      Yes, do lower it. Mine was on Eibach Sportlines and looked and handled great. Time to dig out some 20 year old pictures....

As far as the intakes, I had an Injen CAI and it was a little bit of a pain to install but I've certainly done worse. Made the car run like absolute garbage though. Bogging, hesitation, no torque down low, even had problems idling. VVTLi sounded great but yeah, real bad.. I called up Injen several times to try and get some answers. Literally never had anyone answer the phone and never got a call back after leaving voicemail. My dad's an auto tech and had a buddy that worked at a speed shop doing fabrication. He took one look at it and said the MAF sensor was poorly placed and was getting all kinds of wrong readings. I think shortly after I sold my car someone found a way to modify the intake in a way that the MAF sensor worked properly, by hacking up the aftermarket and reusing part of the OEM in a hybrid setup.

Also sounded great with an Apexi N1 exhaust. And all them period correct stickers.

There were 2 different "action packages"
      one is the TRD kit and the other is referred to as the Tsunami Edition.
      I'm not sure about the windshield wings, I don't think that is part of the action package in any form. I think it's more of a dealer TRD accesory.

This is all kinds of 90s influenced crazy.

Congrats OP, car looks pretty minty! I think this gen of sporty Toyota is increasing in appreciation if the local prices of RunX RSIs are anything to go by (shares the same drivetrain and underpinnings I assume).

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      IMO the car was always in the background of better stuff like the Integra Type R. Toyota made a fantastic car but in comparison to the Type R it really doesn't hold up. The gearing is too tall and the VVTL-i system is not as easily accessible. Honda's shorter gearing and lower VTEC engagement is what makes that car so much nicer to drive fast. Honda also seems to have a larger, cheaper aftermarket for the car. 2zz-ge performance parts are pretty damn expensive. This car is fun and handles great, don't get me wrong, but you will find moments where you are outside of lift and the car will barely want to move at all. There's a really telling video about this that perfectly illustrates the issue. And the 2zz-ge's cam changeover is much more aggressive than VTEC in the b18. The power bump is much more noticable and substantial. I've seen some dyno's that show trying to lower lift to like 5800rpm ends up in less power because of how aggressive the secondary cam profile is.

*video
      While all of that may be true, you're comparing it to Hondas and I was comparing it to lesser Celicas.

I haven't driven one, so I can't say, but it is a bummer that the rev range and gearing don't match. One of my favorite things in the world is to upshift and be right in the meat of the power band. C'est la vie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast