My 2005 Solar Yellow Celica GTS w/ Action Package - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
      Some small updates... ordered a invidia n1 catback 2nd hand off a celica group on facebook, should be here in a week I'd guess. got a set of winter tires for the corolla S wheels, some general altimax winter tires. Installed some stoptech slotted rotors and EBC red stuff pads as the front brakes were a bit noisy and slightly warped.

test fitting the corolla S wheels with the new tires... still too early to put them on.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I still can't believe you're going to drive that time capsule in wet salt slush.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      I still can't believe you're going to drive that time capsule in wet salt slush.
      ^^^
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post

If you want to donate me a car and pay for my insurance I'll stick it in my sister's garage for the winter. Otherwise not much I can do this winter... Will be getting fluid film done soon though the csr does appear to already have some sort of black tar heroin undercoating in some places.

For sure, if you want to keep the car as nice as it currently is, not driving it in the winter and storing it properly (somewhere dry) is the best solution. As I see, not using the car this winter doesn't seem to be an option for you.
      You are taking the proper precautions by having the car sprayed with a rustproofing fluid film. You are probably already aware that dust and all sort of grime will stick to the car from now on. Make sure that they spray inside the panels and body as well. Rinsing the car often (at least once a month) is definitely gonna be super critical, especially the underside, wheel wells and the engine compartment. All of the bolts, clamps, screws, nuts, etc will more than likely form some sort of oxidation.
      Also, get some rubber carpets to catch the snow and salt off your boots. You can go even further by putting newspaper under those carpets and changing them out every now and then. You absolutely want to avoid getting wet the sound deadening material under the carpets, because it stays humid and will make your floors rust out.
      Driving the car for only one winter will probably have a very limited impact on the car, unless you put on tons of miles on the highway and/or drive a lot in the city.
      My father has been doing this for decades with mk2 jettas, and it works. We are very finicky about keeping our cars truly rot free. Rustproofing with an oil based product, frequent rinsing and proper carpeting goes a hell of a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      If you want to donate me a car and pay for my insurance I'll stick it in my sister's garage for the winter. Otherwise not much I can do this winter... Will be getting fluid film done soon though the csr does appear to already have some sort of black tar heroin undercoating in some places.
      Store it, drop insurance.

Winter beaters:

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ct...208563725.html
      https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...208925082.html
      https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ct...208822047.html
      https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ct...208753125.html
      Last edited by fireside; 10-06-2020 at 08:27 AM.

By the time you buy one of those, and fix it up to pass inspection, tax it and tag it, I bet you are $4k+ in.

Just let the guy drive his car and stop hounding him about it, not everyone has the ability to run different cars per season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      By the time you buy one of those, and fix it up to pass inspection, tax it and tag it, I bet you are $4k+ in.

Just let the guy drive his car and stop hounding him about it, not everyone has the ability to run different cars per season.
      I'm with you and OP. My FIL drove his '01 Celica for 18 years in CT and only replaced it last year because well, he could after 18 years of driving it. He took care of it by washing it occasionally, but nothing special like Fluid Film or anything.

It never broke down or was even close to it, it wasn't rotting out (actually looked pretty good) - he just wanted something new, and something a little more comfortable for the more frequent jaunts to come see his grandson (pre-Covid). He actually went with a 4-door ('19 Camry XSE) for that reason. He sold it to his mechanic for his son's first car. Kid lucked out big time with that one.

It cost me about $600 to put plates on the celica, after all the BS fees, taxes, etc. Then insurance for the celica and elantra both being on my policy put it at a bit over $400 a month... It's not happening. Not this winter at least. Have had some major expenses pop up out of nowhere as well. One winter won't kill the car. I've barely been driving the thing at all lately anyways.

anyways this just arrived in the mail:

Last edited by elite.mafia; 10-08-2020 at 03:45 PM.

installed the invidia axleback exhaust. sounds amazing at wide open throttle. putting around its just kind of boomy, deep, bassy, loud and annoying. video doesn't really do it justice its VERY VERY loud.

https://i.imgur.com/rA0BvK8.mp4

(please excuse my terrible driving)

https://i.imgur.com/ypaOs1a.mp4

in real life it's a lot louder, very deep tone.
      https://i.imgur.com/k4aJlTj.mp4

one issue is the fitment is terrible with the action pack/tsunami bumper this car has. I'm probably going to cut it slightly at the bottom corners where its rubbing. shouldn't affect being able to reinstall the factory tip if i just trim a small amount off

here is how it sounded stock (with the aem intake I think)

https://i.imgur.com/uzVsTkT.mp4

factory exhaust: compare it to the picture of the invidia in the previous post.

Last edited by elite.mafia; 10-17-2020 at 07:26 PM.

So much of this thread reminds me so much of 2000s import tuner frenzy.

Probably going to put the exhaust back to stock. not happy with it - way too much droning.

put my winter wheels/tires on... grabbed some corolla S wheels off facebook and puit some general altimax arctic 12 tires on. 195/65/15 i think
      I think the wheels look good, better than I thought they would. The tires so far feel really weird, feels like the sidewalls are folding over every turn, not exactly confidence inspiring. The car feels really floaty at the limit.

also got weathertech floor mats all around, AVM HD cut-to-fit mats for the foot wells and a weathertech direct fit for the trunk.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345