Yet another “What should I buy?” Thread - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      We aren’t payment buyers but we are serious budget people. So after we’ve done all the math on all of our expenses and income, all the TFL stuff, our budget for this car is 400/month, max of $450. So with current rates let’s say we are shopping around $22-23k.

This will replace our old Prius and be my primary commuter car. It will get a set of steelies and snows for winter.

So the Corolla SE is firmly in play. It fits all of our needs and wants, other than being well .. being a Corolla. J-Vins and already discounted at our local dealer where we bout our RAV4. This is the sensible choice I think.

VW GTI is probably not in play due to price and no local dealer.

Elantra GT N-Line would likely work financially but I’m not sure I’m sold. Again, no local dealer.

We’ll get at least $2k trade in for the Prius (first offer by notoriously chintzy dealer) and pay taxes out of pocket. We have Top Tier credit so I’d like to snag some of that cheap/0 financing.

Wifey wish list: Appreciably better MPG than the RAV4. Keyless entry & Push Button start if possible, Bonus points for factory remote start. Apple CarPlay. Comfortable. She does not care about sporty or fast.

My wish list is about the same except since it will be my daily commuter I’d like it to be fun to drive. I also value reliability very highly.

We will still have the Miata of course.

Used is totally fine but I’m not seeing enough price difference between lightly used and new to make me want to go used unless I find a very compelling reason.

We are not interested in any luxury makes, or overly complicated cars. We value simpler, cheaper but still engaging to drive and stuff that will last a long time as we keep our cars 10 years.

So what do you think? What obvious player am I missing? Do I forgo the six speed Corolla and just get a Camry with the bigger engine? That car feels bigger than we need.

Do I try to find a manual transmission Civic hatchback? Those are rare now unless I travel and Honda doesn’t seem to be making more.

I thought of the VW Jetta GLI but without a local dealer I’m not sure I want to go down that path. Also I’ve driven my neighbors newer Jetta a few times and I smack my head every time I get into it.

So I welcome any suggests or tips.
      I will really be buying a car in the next couple of weeks or sooner. No TFL arguments please, we’ve taken care of all that.

Thanks!

Can we circle back to the 2010 Prius. $2k for that seems extremely low. Seems like you could get waaaaay more private party, which would increase your budget to include more cars that might be "fun".

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Praise Andy we love the Civic Sport sedan.

Feature trade off favoring the Honda. The 2.0’s are on par with each other.
      I actually don’t mind the CVT but not compromising on a manual.

Fair negotiations, coming in below budget. Leaving a deposit so they can locate a manual for us.

More details when I’m back at my computer.
      Yeah, I think that is one of the few Hondas I would buy right now. I love that it still has a K-series instead of the 1.5T and it is one of the few instances where I prefer the sedan styling over the hatch. One kinda-drag is that it has halogen headlights (on the Sport) instead of the LEDs on the Corolla. Those quickly became essential for me.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      Can we circle back to the 2010 Prius. $2k for that seems extremely low. Seems like you could get waaaaay more private party, which would increase your budget to include more cars that might be "fun".
      It has 171,200 hard Vermont miles, it's covered in scratches, and needs tires and brakes all around. Everyone offered me the exact same $2K which seems fair since this thing is going straight to the auction. I might be able to private sell it for a little bit more, but not much and not without the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Yeah, I think that is one of the few Hondas I would buy right now. I love that it still has a K-series instead of the 1.5T and it is one of the few instances where I prefer the sedan styling over the hatch. One kinda-drag is that it has halogen headlights (on the Sport) instead of the LEDs on the Corolla. Those quickly became essential for me.
      Yup, 2 negatives on the Civic vs the Corolla... halogen headlights, and also blind-spot monitoring. I'll probably get a good LED bulb upgrade.

Given the long lifespan we want from this car, the 2.0 was what I wanted. It's got plenty of power for it's use.

We did not expect to like the Civic. It was a box to check off before heading home to start making a deal on the Corolla. We were a Honda family in the 90s but have been a Toyota family through the 2000s.

But a few things really shot it up the rankings for us.

1. It drove very well, even with the CVT, it felt smoother and more buttoned-down. Engine power was a wash, both 2.0's with nearly identical HP. Neither is a rocketship or a penalty box.

2. Convenience features. I noted above the negatives, but the Civic has a far better, heavier key fob and you can raise and lower all 4 windows with it. It also has a remote start built-in. Small things, sure, but day to day they are a big convenience

3. Storage. The Civic has a MUCH bigger center console with 2 big cupholders that also slide back to give you even more space. It has more USBs, and generally just more overall width for people and stuff upfront that the Toyota.

4. Dash. The Civic's infotainment screen is integrated into the dash and doesn't look like someone just slapped an iPad on. The Corolla had a better overall dash design with more soft-touch materials, but the overall look and feel of the Civic were just a bit better for us. We also like Honda's gauges better with the adjustable center section, big digital speedo, etc.

While we expect to use Apple Carplay most of the time, Toyota's Entune is just such a terrible interface in the RAV4 and it hasn't improved. Honda's native system just worked better for us.

5. Exterior. We (my son and I) just both really liked the looks of the Civic more. The Sedan minimizes the fake black grills and the Sport blacks out the chrome and comes with nice wheels. Pure subjective aesthetics, we just liked it a lot better.

So that's it in a nutshell. I have a fun weekend car already, and an AWD family CUV, what I wanted to find was just a really good daily driver car with a stick that would feel worth the expense, last a very long time, be reliable, and look good... all within a budget.

Bonus points are that I came in significantly lower than the budget we set, so that's a solid win.

Now.... if they can't find me a stick, we are back to the Corolla, so keep your fingers crossed. I really appreciated everyone's ideas, thoughts, and input.
      Last edited by Sporin; 08-01-2020 at 05:49 PM.

What were you able to score this one for?

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

Now.... if they can't find me a stick, we are back to the Corolla, so keep your fingers crossed. I really appreciated everyone's ideas, thoughts, and input.
      There's not a lot of them around, but they are around. Depends on how motivated the dealer is. There's a really nice blue one in Cambridge MA...

Tom

It has 171,200 hard Vermont miles, it's covered in scratches, and needs tires and brakes all around. Everyone offered me the exact same $2K which seems fair since this thing is going straight to the auction. I might be able to private sell it for a little bit more, but not much and not without the hassle.

So it needs around $600 in work, and a small dealer will likely sell it for $6000.
      I'm sure you can easily sell it as is for $3500
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      So it needs around $600 in work, and a small dealer will likely sell it for $6000.
      I'm sure you can easily sell it as is for $3500
      One of the reasons I'm dumping it is that I DON'T want to keep working on it or put more money into it. I have neither the time nor the inclination.

But hey, if you want to come get it for more than $2000 I take Venmo or PayPal. But $2000 seems perfectly fair and easy to me. I didn't need to sell it to someone in town and have them bother me in Cumbies the first time something goes wrong.
      Last edited by Sporin; 08-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      There's not a lot of them around, but they are around. Depends on how motivated the dealer is. There's a really nice blue one in Cambridge MA...

Tom
      Yeah, he said they can't do swaps on the weekend but they'll start calling on Monday because there are a few out there. We are easy, I want a Sport in sedan or hatch, and will take any color, just has to be a manual. Fully refundable deposit no matter what.

I asked about finding me an Si and he just said flat out no, they couldn't get one, and no one was going to swap them one. No 2021 Si's so the ones left at dealers aren't being discounted either.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      What were you able to score this one for?

Chris
      21 even before TTL. with the 1.9% Honda financing. So I got under the TruCar price.

Still all pending they find me a stick though.

Yeah, he said they can't do swaps on the weekend but they'll start calling on Monday because there are a few out there. We are easy, I want a Sport in sedan or hatch, and will take any color, just has to be a manual. Fully refundable deposit no matter what.

I asked about finding me an Si and he just said flat out no, they couldn't get one, and no one was going to swap them one. No 2021 Si's so the ones left at dealers aren't being discounted either.

21 even before TTL. with the 1.9% Honda financing. So I got under the TruCar price.

Still all pending they find me a stick though.
      That’s a good deal for a Hatch but seems like a minimal discount for the sedan.

FYI all of the hatches have the 1.5T (Sport 6MT has a slightly hotter tune)

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      FYI all of the hatches have the 1.5T (Sport 6MT has a slightly hotter tune)
      Good to know the hatch space would be nice but I actually think the sedan is better looking.

I’ll just use the RAV4 if I need to haul anything anyways.

I'm fairly sure you'll be getting a Corolla.

But before, at least take a Prius Prime out for a drive(make sure it's charged), even with expensive Vermont electricity, you might be surprised how nice it drives, especially in EV mode. The base model is the one to get imo and with credits it should be within budget.
      Last edited by Dubveiser; 08-01-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Good to know the hatch space would be nice but I actually think the sedan is better looking.

I’ll just use the RAV4 if I need to haul anything anyways.
      The K-series is such a great engine, I would definitely prefer it.

I do not care for the hatch styling at all. It's about the perfect car for us -- and I loved the other UK-built Civic we got (EP3 Si) -- but I hate the rear end of the current hatch.

I can vouch for the K Series/MT combo on the Civic. My sister has a '17 base model notchback with that combo. Quick, smooth, remarkably economical (routinely around 40 mpg highway). And I know from the experience of our '03 CR-V that I trust it much more to be bulletproof than the overstressed little 1.5 turbo "upgrade" engine.

I didn't need to sell it to someone in town and have them bother me in Cumbies the first time something goes wrong.
      Ah small town life. I know the feeling.

Even worse is when you sell a car you like and it stays local and you watch it deteriorate.

Yet another “What should I buy?” Thread

After sleeping on it for a night I'm feeling very good about the decision. Of course, if they can't find me a stick I'll have to look for a used one, or go back to the Corolla, but hopefully, they can source me what I want. Living where I do, I don't have the benefit of multiple, large dealerships to shop again and such so we do the best we can.

This will be my 3rd, manual transmission Civic if it all happens like it should. They've always treated us well and I expect to get a good long life out of this one.

One nice thing about yesterday is that my 17-year-old son did all the looking, shopping, and test driving with me. The older he gets the harder it is to find stuff for us to do together so this was a lot of fun. Hearing what he likes, doesn't like, the features and specs that appeal to him and those that don't. It was a lot of fun and a much more pleasent experience than doing this process with my wife who HATES car shopping.
      Last edited by Sporin; 08-02-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Ah small town life. I know the feeling.

Even worse is when you sell a car you like and it stays local and you watch it deteriorate.
      Yeah, I’ve been down this road before. My time and sanity isn’t worth a few extra bucks.

Even used-car-desperate Carvana knows what’s up.

Do I try to find a manual transmission Civic hatchback?
      Yes, nothing else in your thread is worth considering.
      You can’t take advantage of “record low” gas prices when you have nowhere to drive. And it’s not really more affordable if you don’t have a paycheck to buy it with.

Did the Corolla had rev hang? Drive the Civic before you sign.

Man I just could not pass on the torque of the 1.5T. I had a 2.0 rental a while back.... it wasn't terrible but it didn't grab me like the Golf 1.8T. That thing pulled like a freight train by comparison.

I am happy for you either way. If I've learned anything about car shopping it's to check out every option you're realistically interested in. A lot of people fall in love with or totally write off cars without even sitting in them, which is crazy to me.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Man I just could not pass on the torque of the 1.5T. I had a 2.0 rental a while back.... it wasn't terrible but it didn't grab me like the Golf 1.8T. That thing pulled like a freight train by comparison.

I am happy for you either way. If I've learned anything about car shopping it's to check out every option you're realistically interested in. A lot of people fall in love with or totally write off cars without even sitting in them, which is crazy to me.
      GTI is out of my price range and the GLI really doesn't appeal to me, but I hear you. Given that I have the Miata for the fun car, I think this is a great compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
      Did the Corolla had rev hang? Drive the Civic before you sign.
      Rev hang wasn't bad, but it's not like it's a "great" manual transmission. It's good, and I'd want it over the CVT for sure, but no one is singing it's praises either.

I'm hoping the Honda is a bit more snick-snick. I can walk away from that deal if turns out to not be the car I want, nothing is set in stone or non-refundable.

you should really go test drive an Elantra GT N-Line... if can't find a new one to test drive, go find an used one to test.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25

I would take the Elantra GT N-Line manual over Corolla hatchback manual but Honda Si over both. For non Si/Type R Civic, i just get a CVT.
      Last edited by Avus; 08-02-2020 at 02:33 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

I like them on paper, but the nearest one is an hour away and really more than I want to ideally spend.

Again, this is an economical daily with a little bit of fun. I don’t want to over complicate it.

With threads like this, "You should buy" translates to "I quickly skimmed the OP.... with that budget I would buy"

I would look for a sorted 996 or Z4M for that money but I'm not going to pretend like that's helpful
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast