Bucket List Drive in a boring rental
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Bucket List Drive in a boring rental

My initial plan was to pick this https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...che/911/574695 up for the day, but it wasn't available, so I ended up packing the entire family in the rental and headed up there. While the rental was not ideal for that road, we still had fun and I don't regret it. The "boring" rental allowed me to enjoy the scenery, keep everything in check and stay out of trouble. In a way I'm glad the that the other car wasn't available. Not being familiar with that road, I probably would've been driving 4/tents or gotten my self in trouble.

Album here http://imgur.com/gallery/mYHN5m8

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Waw, gorgeous scenery!

Question is, did you chain up?

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Well, how'd the Pathfinder do?

Vague thread is vague. Where did you go? Why did you go there? How was the Nissan?

Maybe others recognize the burnout marks in front of the tunnel, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Vague thread is vague. Where did you go? Why did you go there? How was the Nissan?

x2

That looks like Angeles Crest heading toward GMR.
      Lower all the Things.

On the subject...I suppose.

Work took me to Molokai once.
      And one morning I got up before sunrise to go to the end of the island to catch the sunrise.
      It was not prior to this, a bucket list kind of thing (for me), but the place is so amazingly beautiful, it's bucket list worthy shall we say. I did it in a rental Hyundai....

^ That up there is this from the air...and that little windy road.

If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      I once ran a Taurus up the road to Hana and back, and to Haleakala crater. Similar to an SUV on Angeles Crest, it allowed me to take in the scenery at a nice slow pace. I get it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Lol same here--when we did Angeles Crest it was in a Chyrsler 200 rental. Not terrible but definitely not a sporty vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I once ran a Taurus up the road to Hana and back, and to Haleakala crater. Similar to an SUV on Angeles Crest, it allowed me to take in the scenery at a nice slow pace. I get it.
      That one we did in a 7-passenger pathfinder with 6/7 occupants. Had to go extra slow as there was understandably motion sickness to go around. My gosh a beautiful road though.

I did this same drive on my learners permit with my parents way back when in a rental soft top Wrangler. Not a bad way to start my driving career if I do say so myself.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Well, how'd the Pathfinder do?
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      x2
      As a grocery-getter, it would do a fine job, just fine, nothing exiting.... just open mouth, breathe and drive. For anything else, just imagine if the motor and transmission were connected/linked together via a big rubber-band.

I recorded a few clips of a couple different sections of that road with the Pathfinder. However, vid clips don't usually show elevation well.

Shame on you! every TCL'er should recognize the tunnels

If you hangout here, you must've/should've seen this \/

Pathfinder version

The concrete slab below what saved the Forster

Vague thread is vague. Where did you go?
      The link I posted in the first post showed where

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      That one we did in a 7-passenger pathfinder with 6/7 occupants. Had to go extra slow as there was understandably motion sickness to go around. My gosh a beautiful road though.
      Same, I had 5 passengers, 6 occupants.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I did this same drive on my learners permit with my parents way back when in a rental soft top Wrangler. Not a bad way to start my driving career if I do say so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Waw, gorgeous scenery!
      Question is, did you chain up?
      I didn't think chains were necessary, it was 104° on the bottom and 86° at 7900ft elevation. And the scenery was gorgeous.

Additional nearby scenery.

Forest fire in the background

\/ Mustang practicing!

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post

1:49 is "Brendan Corner." Hushy calls it that after I kept stuffing the car there in Assetto Corsa. Now it's a call out. "Everyone slow down for Brendan Corner."
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

1:49 is "Brendan Corner." Hushy calls it that after I kept stuffing the car there in Assetto Corsa. Now it's a call out. "Everyone slow down for Brendan Corner."
      "Stuffing" a car on that road is the better of two scenarios, but you have a pilot's license from what I read before, so..

Having never owned a "bucket list" car, I've always had to make those great drives in our family car. Luckily, I never made anyone sick or crashed on those trips. The best drives were in my wagon, great handling, but not fast. The SHO was also a blast across the desert. I enjoy the scenery as much as I enjoy a nice twisty road.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      "Stuffing" a car on that road is the better of two scenarios, but you have a pilot's license from what I read before, so..
      I'm a pretty good pilot, but it's pretty hard to fly a car. I've tried in Assetto, and in VR it's pretty nauseating when you get it wrong.

I'm a pretty good pilot, but it's pretty hard to fly a car.

I uploaded two more clips from my phone to YouTube (cleaning my storage space). The first one behind a motorcycle, who I believe got annoyed and pulled over to let me go, and the 2nd after he pulled over. I need to do this in a better car next time, maybe following the locals who are familiar with the road. I could see myself going through a set of tires and pads in the 66 mile stretch.

A friend of mine dated a chassis engineer who used to work for Lotus. He pulled the binding agent out of the brake pads on his M2 on that road.

Apart from goofing off, I've only smoked brake pads once driving one of my cars. It was on hwy 198 coming out of Sequoia just after we left Moro Rock. I was driving our stock 2yr old 86 Golf, it had a 3sp auto and the car just kept building speed, despite being in 2nd the whole way down. I did stop on one straight to get a pic of a small black bear crossing the road. Not much weight in the car, maybe 400lbs of humans and a loaded hatch. It was our 1st road trip and the kids were only 18 months and 3.5yrs old, so speed was mild. The car handled great for a stock car, but power was weak.

I went up that way in the Tiguan last year and out the north exit hwy180, even with the less steep exit, downshifting the trans was not enough to slow the car many times, so brakes still got a workout. Speeds on the twisties was much higher and it also handled well for a stock car. The back was a bit soft on the high speed mountain descents, but that will be fixed.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

Paradoxically, I have realized that it's probably actually better overall that those aren't our actual real life stomping grounds---we would be so bummed about how inaccurate the LA Canyons mod is. Yeah, it's well done, but it's hard to recognize real sections in the game and vice versa.

Case in point, this is "Brendan Corner"; a blind-ish right sweeper going Westbound on Angeles Crest right before Angeles Forest.

Whereas in that clip from Senior Member, he was starting off way east of the LA Canyons mod (and somewhere we've never even driven in real life), the parking lot for the Pacific Crest Trail, and then he drove East towards 138. Here's the Street View of where he started.

A friend of mine dated a chassis engineer who used to work for Lotus. He pulled the binding agent out of the brake pads on his M2 on that road.
      Sticky tires, improper bed-in?

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
      Apart from goofing off, I've only smoked brake pads once driving one of my cars.
      I've smoked pads a few pads at the track. As soon as the brakes start to feel funny pull over, things can get from ok to very ugly within a turn or two.