VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2020 Tiguan SE 4MO - metal noise when put in N or P

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CSFMA 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've had a new 2020 Tiguan SE 4MO automatic for a little over a month now. About a week after having it, I noticed a metal-on-metal noise coming from underneath the car whenever I would shift from into either Park or Neutral. It's a brief grinding metallic grinding noise.

I took into the dealership and they had no idea what it was, but ended up replacing the valve body and then the entire transmission. It seemed to have briefly fixed it but the issue came back a few days later. I'm taking it back in later this week.

Here is a breakdown of when I do / do not hear the noise:

-Park to Reverse: No
-Reverse to Park: Yes
-Reverse to Neutral: Yes
-Neutral to Reverse: No
-Neutral to Drive: No
-Drive to Neutral: Yes

I also noticed that the noise only happens if I wait about 3 seconds in between shifts. For example, if I shift out of Neutral to Drive, and then quickly back to Neutral, I don't hear it. But if I wait about 3 seconds before shifting back to neutral I hear the noise.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or know what might cause this? I tried to take a video to highlight the issue, but it's a bit difficult to hear without headphones. The last few seconds of shifting from Reverse to Neutral is easiest to hear the sound.

Thanks for any input!

Best,
Sam

Note: apparently I cannot share a video since I just joined.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had a new 2020 Tiguan SE 4MO automatic for a little over a month now. About a week after having it, I noticed a metal-on-metal noise coming from underneath the car whenever I would shift from into either Park or Neutral. It's a brief grinding metallic grinding noise.

I took into the dealership and they had no idea what it was, but ended up replacing the valve body and then the entire transmission. It seemed to have briefly fixed it but the issue came back a few days later. I'm taking it back in later this week.

Here is a breakdown of when I do / do not hear the noise:

-Park to Reverse: No
-Reverse to Park: Yes
-Reverse to Neutral: Yes
-Neutral to Reverse: No
-Neutral to Drive: No
-Drive to Neutral: Yes

I also noticed that the noise only happens if I wait about 3 seconds in between shifts. For example, if I shift out of Neutral to Drive, and then quickly back to Neutral, I don't hear it. But if I wait about 3 seconds before shifting back to neutral I hear the noise.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or know what might cause this? I tried to take a video to highlight the issue, but it's a bit difficult to hear without headphones. The last few seconds of shifting from Reverse to Neutral is easiest to hear the sound.

Thanks for any input!

Best,
Sam

Note: apparently I cannot share a video since I just joined.
I get some noises like that too not sure if its what you are talking about is the same tho its infrequent when it does happen.. I am stopped and go from drive to neutral I hear a noise of some sort when I go back to drive... You can up load the video onto youtube and then add the link to this post.. It should work if you still want to upload it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.