Can Someone Explain "Chalk" Paint to me. - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Looks like primer. Do you get a discount for buying an unfinished car?
      None of those pictures Hawc posted look like primer. Do you know what primer even looks like?
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post

Are those the original colours for those models?

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      None of those pictures Hawc posted look like primer. Do you know what primer even looks like?
      When you put clear gloss on top? It looks exactly as shown: the most boring of the boring.

There was someone here on the 'tex who (years ago) posted pics of his Vanagon that had chalkboard paint. It was an epic post... kids and pretty girls chalking up his paint. Anyone else remember that guy/post?

So ugly and boring I have no idea why anyone would buy one of these colors

Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Yep - these colors harken back to the 50's - 80's when numerous non-metallic colors were offered.
      Yup.

The combination of very high TiO2 loading and low saturation tints with high gloss clears creates a very interesting effect that looks as if you could dive into it.

Hawc is noticing the lack of visual distinction of the thickness of the coating that is afforded by metallic pigments. In the case of metallics, you actually perceive the thickness of the flake against the base color. Without the flake thickness as a reference, the base color looks infinitely thick/deep.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The combination of very high TiO2 loading and low saturation tints with high gloss clears creates a very interesting effect that looks as if you could dive into it. Hawc is noticing the lack of visual distinction of the thickness of the coating that is afforded by metallic pigments. In the case of metallics, you actually perceive the thickness of the flake against the base color. Without the flake thickness as a reference, the base color looks infinitely thick/deep.
      ^ This guy knows paints.

I couldn't find the Audi colour I saw yesterday on the website, I guess it was paint to sample. It was almost like he asked for that Porsche paint on his Audi.

Speaking of Porsches, Singer Porsche has been doing exactly this style of paint on all their cars.

http://singervehicledesign.com/wp-co...n-1100x732.jpg

http://singervehicledesign.com/wp-co...g-1100x732.jpg

http://singervehicledesign.com/wp-co...6-1100x732.jpg
      Last edited by Hawk; 09-01-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Huh, it really doesn't feel like it's just the fact they're not metallic.
      I'm not a psychologist. It's literally just a non-metallic paint color.
      Proud long-term employee at TheRetrofitSource family of companies

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq

The car that comes to mind for me for these colors is the Subaru Crosstrek, which seems to have started the trend for non-premium vehicles. Especially in the blue, there is something about the color that jumps out at me.
      | 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance |

Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      There was someone here on the 'tex who (years ago) posted pics of his Vanagon that had chalkboard paint. It was an epic post... kids and pretty girls chalking up his paint. Anyone else remember that guy/post?
      I remember that thread. Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      The car that comes to mind for me for these colors is the Subaru Crosstrek, which seems to have started the trend for non-premium vehicles. Especially in the blue, there is something about the color that jumps out at me.
      Agreed. Jeep jumped on the bandwagon when the Renegade came out in 2015 too:

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-01-2020 at 12:01 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 8

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I remember that thread. Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Agreed. Jeep jumped on the bandwagon when the Renegade came out in 2015 too:

Looks like Anvil, that was available on the Wrangler as well for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Yup.

The combination of very high TiO2 loading and low saturation tints with high gloss clears creates a very interesting effect that looks as if you could dive into it.

Hawc is noticing the lack of visual distinction of the thickness of the coating that is afforded by metallic pigments. In the case of metallics, you actually perceive the thickness of the flake against the base color. Without the flake thickness as a reference, the base color looks infinitely thick/deep.
      BAM. Best explanation so far.

All I know is that the combination of lighter greyscale/earthone colors, in non-metallic paint, plus thick/glossy clearcoat with a very nicely polished finish, has a very unique effect.

Are those the original colours for those models?

Don't know the bottom one but the top 356 is Slate Grey. Here's another one that fits itt, Mouse Grey which was offered on the Type 2..

I've been loving the trend of non-metallic paints coming back and hope it continues beyond special edition cars and grey scale colors. I'd love to see some non-metallic reds, blues, greens, etc. For example, how cool would it be to order a new Audi in Malachite Green?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I really like that colour, there's a 991.2 GTS in that shade locally and it looks really nice.
      Me too. I had selected that color as my choice for my touring, but it got removed from the options about a week before my car locked.
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

Okay, so what do we call this type of paint?

It's not just non-metallic. What's the right name for this category of paints?

^ This guy knows paints.
      Yes, she does.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

Trendy.

*sigh* it IS just non-metallic paint. Early non-metallic paints didn't have clearcoats so they looked slightly duller unless waxed, but modern ones have a clearcoat so they look deeper. These are just non-metallic greys that you are posting.

Source: I was a paint and body man for a few decades and still paint cars on the side.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

*sigh* it IS just non-metallic paint. Early non-metallic paints didn't have clearcoats so they looked slightly duller unless waxed, but modern ones have a clearcoat so they look deeper. These are just non-metallic greys that you are posting.

Source: I was a paint and body man for a few decades and still paint cars on the side.
      So, we’re going with “paint”, then.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

"Why are tires round "

"My dad had a Volvo 760.... I always wondered why he couldn't get it with square wheels. Would have looked so cool!"

Never change Hawc

And IMO this East Berlin palette ****ing sucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Haha, not arguing with you, just confused then because when I look at the non-metallic paint options on car configurators they do not look like this. This paint has a deeper creamier feel to it. It's strange. I get that it's non-metallic, but it look EVEN MORE non-metallic than non-metallic paint.

That's deffo one of my fave of the modern Fiat colors, but for pretty much the same reason why I couldn't bring myself to buy a five door FiST, I just couldn't bring myself to buy US-spec Mexican version of 500 when the EU spec was so much so much more...

Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post
      That's deffo one of my fave of the modern Fiat colors, but for pretty much the same reason why I couldn't bring myself to buy a five door FiST, I just couldn't bring myself to buy US-spec Mexican version of 500 when the EU spec was so much so much more...
      That's why I painted my R32 that exact Fiat green 6 years ago

Muted/non-metallic colors are awesome

Green by Aaron, on Flickr
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast