Is Your Car Visceral? - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post

I have fallen in love with the Evora, type of driving experience I would make an excuse to go out for a errand using the long way back. I've only experienced the slow version and am seriously thinking about picking up a 400 but hard to finalize when 911/GT4/GTR/AMG GT can be had in the same range
      If you don't experience the fast version, you can get the NA car for a ton cheaper, and basically fully depreciated. Throw a Larini exhaust on it, and enjoy. If you experience one of the fast versions, you can never go back to the NA car though. As you said, by time you're at 400 or GT money, there's a lot of better over all cars, even though the driving experience of those cars isn't as good.

If I had to keep it long term, I'd be in a GT4 and not a Lotus.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Performance wise? nah, Actually seeing two Lotus 7s in this thread I should just close and move on.

Superbeetle with probably 2x the stock horsepower and drum brakes and 30 year old suspension? probably visceral in some ways.

924 with manual steering? I mean kinda? it had more feel than a lot of cars but not more than an NA Miata, just maybe more balance...
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

The RS is without a doubt. The rest? No.
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

The STI? I'd say it is.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

Clapped out nissan 240 with rb20 swap, practically open exhaust spitting fireballs and a welded diff. It was silly, i could picture my death around every corner.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Kevin RS View Post
      yup really no comparison between hitting a pothole, crack in the pavement and having a slight jiggle transmit into the chassis vs - fully caged race car where you hit a manhole in the road and you feel like you need to be wearing a hans device to prevent certain death !
      And your ears hurt after the bump!

Solid suspension bushings And shock mounts will do that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

The 335i I built up to a dedicated track car comes close to being "visceral", however it took thousands of dollars to get it there. Could I have bought a more "visceral" car - sure. But it was the journey not the destination that got me to do it.

The Rav4 is everything BUT that and for a good reason.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

I guess my MkII fits the bill of a fairly visceral/analog car. Stripped interior, KW V2's, poly suspension bushings, poly engine mounts for the swapped VR6 etc

It's track alignment makes it a handful to drive on the street too, makes me smile every time I take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Clapped out nissan 240 with rb20 swap, practically open exhaust spitting fireballs and a welded diff. It was silly, i could picture my death around every corner.
      KBJr's buddy has some drift cars. I drove one once, it was so stupid that it was completely awesome.

Driving real racecars kind of ruins it all though. You just keep trying to get back to that and streetable is not a factor and then you can't drive the damn thing because racecar and you live in MI and the car could disappear into a pothole.

Glad I got the BRZ, it straddles the line ok. I love rolling over pine cones in the driveway. That feels like racecar. At low speed, you can feel pebbles on the road in the BRZ.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

I want to get an early C3, that'd be both, but I'm working towards both with the TT. Biggest visceral goal will be a high-flow 2.1 stroker with a quick-spool GTX2863, hopefully the chassis mods and suspension stuff will help the analog. I've gotten rid of things like the N249 and clutch dampener, I don't want the car to be unlivable for long-distance but you can just see where the factory build in those compromises.

Basically, I'm hoping to straddle the rally car/grand touring line.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      And your ears hurt after the bump!

Solid suspension bushings And shock mounts will do that.
      YES! solid delrin bushings and heims all around in a fully welded up cage with nothing inside the cabin but a steering wheel, seat, dash and safety equipment. Loud is an understatement. I see now why race car drivers use ear plugs .

Quote Originally Posted by Row1Rich View Post
      I guess my MkII fits the bill of a fairly visceral/analog car. Stripped interior, KW V2's, poly suspension bushings, poly engine mounts for the swapped VR6 etc

It's track alignment makes it a handful to drive on the street too, makes me smile every time I take it out.

cool car ! looks like a fun car !

Always will have a soft spot for the mk2

This old friend is pretty visceral when you whip on it. Around town, it's sort of sedate.

Do you have poly bushings in the rear too? I've kept mine stock because I was always told that the Mk2 relied on the 'give' in the rear to remain neutral. I do have a big Shine bar out back to stiffen things up.

But yeah, I agree that between the spherical front control arm bushings and the poly engine mounts, my Mk2 VR6 is pretty visceral, but I'm not counting it as a street car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin RS View Post
      cool car ! looks like a fun car !

Always will have a soft spot for the mk2
      Me too! Here's mine back in the day.

My Corrado with Koni's and BBM Twin Screw is rather visceral.

Carz: allpic -*Dusk Edition SS-*-cahs-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

I'd say yes because both the design and driving experience of my 356 is raw and emotional. The exterior is full of approachable character and the driving experience is one where, thanks to the unibody and unassisted everything, you have an unfiltered connection to what the car is doing which is something most modern cars can't touch.

My Audi is great but when I hit the gas there's a calculated lag between input and action in order to conserve fuel. If the road has an imperfection it's absorbed and countered by the electrically assisted steering system (I miss hydraulic btw). If the engine is making beautiful exhaust notes I can't hear it because the insulation is so good. If I drive sloppy on a windy road the ESP will fix it. While all of these things are a must on a modern DD, the more the car isolates you from itself the harder it is to have raw emotional connection to it. Judging by the other cars itt you guys tend to agree (most modern car I see itt is the 4C which IIRC was low on electronic nannys and also featured unassisted steering).

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I'd say yes because both the design and driving experience of my 356 is raw and emotional. The exterior is full of approachable character and the driving experience is one where, thanks to the unibody and unassisted everything, you have an unfiltered connection to what the car is doing which is something most modern cars can't touch.
      It also doesn't get more analog than a swingaxle Porsche.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

e30 is too analog to live with every day. It's low on torque and real buzzy, but when you are driving just to drive, it checks all the boxes.

e36 is the perfect blend of analog and modern. I drive it to work, and it can be a nice relaxed city cruiser with the music up and the A/C blasting, or it can be a car that makes the drive feel special when you get onto a mountain road.
      1998 m3, Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth, 117k and officially worthless.
      2000 323i touring, Titanium silver/grey, 163k and officially boring
      1989 m3, Alpineweiss/schwarz, 143k and officially old

A stock automatic Mazda 3... no

FWD based VW in a 4 ring suit, Benz on pillowy run flats, or a hybrid.

Nope. No visceral here.

I would have to say the most visceral car I’ve owned was my 2005 Forester XT 5 speed. Had poly bushings everywhere, lowering springs, rear subframe locking bolts, Cobb turbo back, no stability control (ABS only), STi steering rack, etc.. That thing was a hoot. I really miss it sometimes, especially when the snow starts flying

The SS? It’s loud and much quicker than the FXT, but other than that I wouldn’t call it visceral. While it handles very well, it also rides way better than you would expect thanks to the magnetic shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      The most "Visceral" car I've driven was the C4
      I've watched a number of videos on it and find it interesting that most rave about it but the same reviewers bash other cars with DCT's or auto's, must be very good in all other aspects to counter the lack of a manual. I'm unable to drive a S2k or a Miata due to my height, I'm sure the 4C will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Whoever wrote that Hemmings article shouldn't have gotten that by the editor. That was a real POS. Improper usage of the word visceral.

It's what stirs your insides, in a primal way, that's visceral. Like if a car scares the cr*p out of you, constantly. The examples of a Lotus 7/Caterham, Formula SAE car, etc. are good examples. Or something like an AC Cobra. Or an _old_ race car, like the GP cars from the thirties to the fifties (fast, loud, could die at any moment).

I know that's highly subjective.
      I think being sh1t scared is almost an automatic feature to label a car visceral but due to performance and not fear of say the engine catching on fire. Seeing the reaction of someone drive a Hennessey Venom or a highly modified Exige are good examples:
      https://youtu.be/8hDDBN_pIUQ?t=225
      https://youtu.be/HmscSzFurwg?t=355

Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      MK4 R32 and 987.1 Cayman S. Both would fit the bill I believe for regular production cars
      Did you own the MK4 in stock format? If so, would you have labelled it as visceral?

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      The RS is without a doubt. The rest? No.
      Including the past cars in your sig?

• Squeaky brakes that need temperature? Check.
      • Notchy MT? Check
      • Lots of non-exhaust mechanical noise? Check.
      • Firm suspension? Check.

While in my relative world, my GT4 is visceral, I would still say it's soft compared to, say, a Lotus or a spec racecar.
      The term visceral does not include "speed" for me - it's every other sensation you get from driving the car.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post
      I think being sh1t scared is almost an automatic feature to label a car visceral but due to performance and not fear of say the engine catching on fire. Seeing the reaction of someone drive a Hennessey Venom or a highly modified Exige are good examples:
      https://youtu.be/8hDDBN_pIUQ?t=225
      https://youtu.be/HmscSzFurwg?t=355
      A Viper will do the trick- they're hairy monsters, esp. pre-Gen 5, no stability or traction control, so you better know how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      A Viper will do the trick- they're hairy monsters, esp. pre-Gen 5, no stability or traction control, so you better know how to drive.
      having driven a 1st gen viper with soft windows and no door handles i would have to agree !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast