VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mirror Dips UP on Reverse (instead of down)

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Renlo 
#1 ·
On my 2019 GLI Autobahn with ‘mirror dip on reverse’ enabled, the passenger mirror dips UP and to the RIGHT as opposed to downward towards the curb.

After googling the issue, I tried to adjust the reverse mirror setting by taking the following steps, to no avail:
1. Turn car on
2. Enable parking brake
3. Point mirror adjustment knob to passenger mirror
4. Put car in Reverse (mirror goes upward and out)
5. Adjust mirror downward pointing to curb
6. Put car in Park to save settings
Alternatively, I also drove the car around for a few minutes in hopes this would save the setting.

Passenger mirror still moves upward and to the right despite countless attempts to change the behavior.

Anyone else come across this issue?

Ended up bringing my car to dealership this morning but they are unable to figure it out. Left car there overnight as they now need to contact a VW engineer for next steps.

See less See more
#22 ·
I have a 21 GLI Autobahn 6MT, and I encountered the same problem at first. I used OBD11Pro and its Reverse Mirror Dip app.

When I first activated the feature and shifted into Reverse, the mirror adjusted up and out to the right.

Since I was not familiar with how to program the feature, I shut off the car, and the mirror adjusted back to its original position.

I closed the hood and went inside the house to look it up in my digital OM (even the 21 GLI OM includes instructions on the feature despite it not being offered by VW).

I returned to my GLI and started it back up. I went into the Car Settings in the MMI to the Mirrors and Wipers section.

It now showed that I had the option of "Lowering in Reverse." I unchecked it and then re-checked it. (I don't know if this action made a difference, but it did placate my superstitious side)

I then went through the process of programming the mirror as the OM instructed, and I held my breath.

I started up my GLI again, and I drove forward a little.

I then shifted into Reverse, and...it worked.

Product Rectangle Azure Font Software

#5 ·
I’m in the US.

The setting was enabled within the infotainment unit:
Car > Settings > Mirrors and wipers > checked off ‘Lowering on Reverse’

For mirrors to adjust on reverse, mirror adjustment knob must be pointed to the passenger mirror.

What’s strange is that I never noticed this setting until I used the second (spare) keyfob.

#8 ·
UPDATE:
Turns out the 2019 GLI Autobahn does not come with this feature and they are not sure why it was listed in the infotainment settings. The VW tech reset the system to factory settings and ‘lowering on reverse’ is now no longer listed.

Since my passenger mirror adjusts (albeit the wrong direction) when put in reverse, I find it odd that the dealership was not able to correct the behavior.

At least I got a car wash out of all this.

#12 ·
Has anyone actually gotten this feature to work on their GLI Autobahn? The Autobahn comes with memory seats so I guess that means it comes with memory mirrors?

A few months ago, I hooked up Carista to my car and enabled ‘mirror dip on reverse’. Unfortunately, at the time, I couldn’t get it to work. I didn’t realize I had to locate the option in the infotainment settings and activate it there.

Anyhow, now that I’ve stumbled across it and activated it, the mirrors move upward and to the right when in reverse (exact opposite of what you’d expect). I was not able to change the mirror setting to move downward despite reading tons of forums and watching tutorial videos. That’s when I decided to bring the car to the dealership and they couldn’t figure it out after hours of troubleshooting.

#16 ·
After the dealership reset my car settings resulting in the ‘mirror dip on reverse’ being removed, I connected Carista to re-activate it giving it one last attempt. Putting the car in reverse once again moves my passenger mirror up and to the right. No luck in changing the mirror behavior. Ugh. I give up.

My car has memory seats so I figure it was worth giving it another shot.

#17 ·
Just a thought, before you activate it on carista, first switch to your passenger mirror, put it in reverse and have mirror face down to where you want it and then activate It on Carista? That way it will use the down position as a starting point in reverse and when you shift out of reverse it moves it up.

#18 ·
This is from an email I received from Carista:

About the mirror: when the car is in reverse, try using the mirror knob to adjust it downward manually. Hopefully it'll remember that position and move to it next time you put it in reverse. If it doesn't, we have some additional settings in the beta to help with that. We've received your debug data and will enable the beta for you within a few days and send you instructions (regardless of the mirror issue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.