Yet another "what should i buy?" thread. Mature pocket rocket edition! - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Which 'mature' pocket rocket should uber wagon buy?

Voters
    42. You may not vote on this poll
    • BMW M235i sedan

4 9.52%
    • BMW X2 M35i CUV...uh, Hatchback

6 14.29%
    • Subaru WRX STI!

12 28.57%
    • Something else (tell uber wagon which model)...

10 23.81%
    • These are not pocket rockets, Uber. You got it all wrong.

7 16.67%
    • Hey Uber, where's Audi eTron S? Shame on you!

1 2.38%
    • Keep your X3, Uber. What are you thinking?

2 4.76%
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      What is the goal here?

You have an S3, but say you're trading it in, only to replace it with another brand's version of the car. I am confused. Why not just keep the S3 and not replace the X3?

Anyways, out of the options. I was given a 130i 230i? whatever the hell thing is, as a loaner the other day. For a get around town daily, definitely a great car, but when looking at the actual cost of the thing I find it difficult to justify. It also looks hideous. So if forced to choose between your options, I'd go with the X2 M35i, same car but bigger/better proportions.

The STI...I'm not sure what this is doing here. This, along with the EVO/R/CTR etc, have just lost any attraction for me. I don't want rough around the edges for performance sake nor do I want "HEY LOOK AT ME" wings and other design elements.

I'd suggest something else but I just don't understand what you're trying to achieve. By the looks of it, it seems you need 4 doors and want something with at least some level of driver feedback/engagement. I thus recommend buying a CPO M3 because it costs the same as these stupid things do and is in another league. However, if you need AWD then I suggest CPO S4. or are you leasing these things?...More info neeeded.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      I'm gonna trade it in. I love the S3, but it's just sitting in garage now that I'm working remotely..
      I don't understand what's going on here. You basically already own the answer to your question but you're going to trade it in on something similar? The easy answer given what you've told us is to sell the X3 and drive the S3. Unless you really must have a manual transmission---which I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I'm super confused.
      Add me to the list of confused.

-Has S3, wants to get rid of because not driving
      -Yet wanted to trade in on RS3 as first choice which is the car currently owned on steroids, which would also sit and depreciate?

Huh?

-Then looks at sh!tty FWD BMW SUVs that would also just sit and are more or less redundant with current X3 owned, when the question should be "How much Cayman can I get for $50k after dumping the S3?"

Uber Wagon rarely makes any sense though, so...

Came in expecting to leave confused, leaving satisfactorily confused.

You like the engine, so just get the Mini GP3 if you want a mature pocket rocket.

19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

I voted for the Golf R Alltrak. Oh wait, I guess that's made in Bavaria.

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I don't understand what's going on here. You basically already own the answer to your question but you're going to trade it in on something similar? The easy answer given what you've told us is to sell the X3 and drive the S3. Unless you really must have a manual transmission---which I can understand.
      I'm confused as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Have you considered an Alfa Romeo Giulia or Stelvio?
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

There is no way I would buy the new M235 or whatever over the older M240

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I think he's trying to merge 2 cars into one and find something that's a blend of both the cars he's getting rid of (sporty like the Audi, some utility like the X3). To that point PlatinumGLS' Stelvio suggestion is actually a great idea and a good alternative to yet another BMW.
      Last edited by chucchinchilla; 09-15-2020 at 02:45 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I saw a new 2 series sedan on the street a few weeks ago. It was in that bright blue. It honestly, truly, looked like a Kia which isn't fair because even Kias are looking more composed these days. X2 is no because it's an X1 with even less cargo capacity which isn't much to begin with. Subaru is a respectable fun car and would be something different for you so go with that.
      You are not kidding. I saw my first one last week and thought it was a Kia as well.

Terrible looking car.

OP: Just get a 2018/19 Golf R. Harder to find, but it will depreciate slower than your S3 and offer you a little more practicality.

I think he's trying to merge 2 cars into one and find something that's a blend of both the cars he's getting rid of (sporty like the Audi, some utility like the X3). To that point PlatinumGLS' Stelvio suggestion is actually a great idea and a good alternative to yet another BMW.
      Well that certainly wasn't clear based on the inclusion of the M235i sedan and STI. Stelvio gets my recommendation as well.
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Well that certainly wasn't clear based on the inclusion of the M235i sedan and STI. Stelvio gets my recommendation as well.
      Stelvio is a big ass car. It definitely no "pocket" rocket

It sounds like he wants a smaller car. Get a JCW Countryman

I think what's happening is mass boredom. We've all been cooped up for too long. We're trading in our pocket rocket car because its just sitting in the garage. And we're going to replace it with a pocket rocket car... that's just going to sit in the garage.

My S/O is going to test drive 3 cars tonight. There is nothing wrong with her Camry, and usually talks about how much she loves it. But as of two days ago, wants something new. Doesn't want another Toyota. I suggested she go see our friend at the local VW store. Shes going to drive a used AllTrack (she's already done this and doesn't like it), a used GTI and a new Tiguan. I truly feel it is out of boredom. We haven't spent money on anything other than food and shelter since March. (okay, I bought an interesting watch but that's me, not WE) I think we are buying our feelings at this point.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Stelvio is a big ass car. It definitely no "pocket" rocket

But he already as a S3...it's not like the a Countryman or X2 235i are going to have much more space.''
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I think what's happening is mass boredom. We've all been cooped up for too long. We're trading in our pocket rocket car because its just sitting in the garage. And we're going to replace it with a pocket rocket car... that's just going to sit in the garage.

My S/O is going to test drive 3 cars tonight. There is nothing wrong with her Camry, and usually talks about how much she loves it. But as of two days ago, wants something new. Doesn't want another Toyota. I suggested she go see our friend at the local VW store. Shes going to drive a used AllTrack (she's already done this and doesn't like it), a used GTI and a new Tiguan. I truly feel it is out of boredom. We haven't spent money on anything other than food and shelter since March. (okay, I bought an interesting watch but that's me, not WE) I think we are buying our feelings at this point.
      Probably this. I've even caught myself looking at new things to purchase. I bought a new TV and kept it at that.

Tbh the 2 BMWs listed seem like lame "midlife crisis cars". Midlife crisis should be something impractical that you get just because you can. So on your short list, STi and I'm pretty sure you can order it without the wing if it bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Yeah the OP was not clear so I made some assumptions in my post. Problem is by giving so little info then posting 3 choices everyone replying is stuck either agreeing with choice 123, posting a competitor to vehicle 123, or just being downright confused on the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Antimatter View Post
      You are not kidding. I saw my first one last week and thought it was a Kia as well.

Terrible looking car.
      Here's the color we saw it in. If it wasn't for the wheels/badging/requisite kidney grille you'd swear it was a Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Came in expecting to leave confused, leaving satisfactorily confused.
      I'm confused too. Just look at the cars that I'm looking at. It's CRAZY. I might be worse than Hawc. Watch me end up getting a Chevy Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      BINGO. And Countryman JCW is a good choice. Thanks for the reco.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 09-15-2020 at 04:57 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post

100%

Like half my buying of 'stuff' is because I am bored. Usually it's not expensive stuff though. My problem is I am like that all the time not just the last six months

demand TTRS ...
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Do you still have a "Toyota appliance" too or is your profile out of date? If so, it sounds like you own four fairly practical cars and don't really drive them. Why not keep the eTron / Toyota and get something actually fun and impractical (and that won't depreciate much, to boot)? 997, Cayman, Corvette, et al.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
      Tbh the 2 BMWs listed seem like lame "midlife crisis cars". Midlife crisis should be something impractical that you get just because you can. So on your short list, STi and I'm pretty sure you can order it without the wing if it bothers you.
      He is having a mid-lease crisis, not midlife crisis.

Here's the color we saw it in. If it wasn't for the wheels/badging/requisite kidney grille you'd swear it was a Kia.

I actually see Ford Focus sedan in M235i's profile. Kia's profile is more handsome imho.

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      He is having a mid-lease crisis, not midlife crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      I'm gonna trade it in. I love the S3, but it's just sitting in garage now that I'm working remotely.
      Add me to the camp of confusion.

If you love the S3 why replace it at all? Dump the X3 and start driving the S3. I could maybe see the case for the X2, but would the M235i or STI really provide much over the S3?

Quote Originally Posted by aethelwulf View Post
      If you love the S3 why replace it at all? Dump the X3 and start driving the S3. I could maybe see the case for the X2, but would the M235i or STI really provide much over the S3?
      S3 is a fun car, but I get tired of cars real fast. I think there lies the problem.

I think I should just keep the X3 as the DD and get something fun like...a Miata on the side. Nah, I'd rather trade both in.

So far, I'm leaning towards the tall hatchback, aka X2 M35i for that reason.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 09-15-2020 at 05:35 PM.

If MB would bring these over stateside it would get my vote

C43 is closer to $55k-$60k, CLA45 is ~$5k cheaper, CLA35 is in the mid to upper $40k's but probably not enough juice?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast