Yet another "what should i buy?" thread. Mature pocket rocket edition! - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Which 'mature' pocket rocket should uber wagon buy?

Voters
    43. You may not vote on this poll
    • BMW M235i sedan

4 9.30%
    • BMW X2 M35i CUV...uh, Hatchback

6 13.95%
    • Subaru WRX STI!

13 30.23%
    • Something else (tell uber wagon which model)...

10 23.26%
    • These are not pocket rockets, Uber. You got it all wrong.

7 16.28%
    • Hey Uber, where's Audi eTron S? Shame on you!

1 2.33%
    • Keep your X3, Uber. What are you thinking?

2 4.65%
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post
      If MB would bring these over stateside it would get my vote

C43 is closer to $55k-$60k, CLA45 is ~$5k cheaper, CLA35 is in the mid to upper $40k's but probably not enough juice?
      Actually, CLA 35 AMG is another good choice. The plot thickens.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Sell them all, buy RS6
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Sell them all, buy RS6
      I was going to say sell off the ones you don't need a get a GLC63 or something. I guess it depends on how many he can sell off, four car payments seems crazy

This is a pocket rocket...

Anyway, out of your terrible list, I would say STI hands down and probably S3 over all of it if you don't care about manual (which it seems you don't). No offence, but your cons list on the STI is pretty funny. Wing can be deleted, dealers don't deal on them because YOU WANT IT and they WILL sell it. Resale makes up for any other finance cons you have. The ride is kind of fixable and pretty moot given the BMW competition. No front collision systems, lol. That said, an all-new one is right around the corner, so I would wait personally. You also have new 86, new Z being announce (although that is probably gonna be vapourware), and we will see what new Mustang variant will come out of 2021.

The 2-series sedan is hideous, even for current BMW standards. If you want a MINI with a BMW badge, why not just get a MINI? They are far more interesting than any consumer-grade BMW.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 09-15-2020 at 06:02 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

For the love of gasoline... don't get the X2. I got one for family to use and I despise it. I offered a GTI and their response was the dressed up MINI. With your budget, get something really fun
      Someday: Porsche
      Today: 2019 Ram 1500 & 2019 Audi S4
      Bygone: '87 GTI 16V, '91 GLI 16V, '91 Vanagon, a few e30s and Jeeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      S3 is a fun car, but I get tired of cars real fast. I think there lies the problem.

I think I should just keep the X3 as the DD and get something fun like...a Miata on the side. Nah, I'd rather trade both in.

So far, I'm leaning towards the tall hatchback, aka X2 M35i for that reason.
      i am like you and the interest still is there after 2+ years with the RS3 ... go drive one at least ... sh*t drive all the suggested cars .. you're clearly covid bored ...
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Actually, CLA 35 AMG is another good choice. The plot thickens.
      Those are pretty darn cool, and unique. Either that or the Civic Type-R, everything else mentioned leaves me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post
      If MB would bring these over stateside it would get my vote

C43 is closer to $55k-$60k, CLA45 is ~$5k cheaper, CLA35 is in the mid to upper $40k's but probably not enough juice?
      The C43 is what I was going to suggest as well. That car is a sleeping beast! While in Sport + mode with the Performance Exhaust, it's the closest experience to the STI I've known. It may be above your budget, but at least give it a test drive.

I drove the C63 and C43 back to back. I preferred the C43, hands down!!

I'm getting bored with my '18 Accord 2.0 w/6MT as well. ALGO recently offered my $25k for it and I'm tempted to sell it to them so I can get into a '20 STI Limited.

STI I'm looking at MSRP's for $43949. I was offered $39,890. I'm very tempted to jump into that. However, I keep hearing there's a new STI around the corner and wondering if I should wait for that. But the current '20 iteration is supposed to be the last of this generation and it'll probably fetch a premium in resale... Decisions, decisions...

All I need is a STI Hatch is to make this easy and this will be all over... Subaru - PLEASE bring back the STI hatch!!!

CTR...I haven't thought about that one. That's a good suggestion.
      The CTR styling isn’t for everyone, but I have fallen totally in love with mine. Whoever tuned the suspension and chassis balance on that car deserves a huge raise. It is wickedly fast and composed, but in comfort mode it rides like a standard Civic. There are no penalties in usability or ride quality. I’ve been tearing it up on the weekends at autocross, then driving home in complete comfort with ACC and lane centering. The biggest issue right now with the car is availability. There just aren’t very many for sale, and many dealers are still demanding $10k markups.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Quote Originally Posted by poops View Post
      The C43 is what I was going to suggest as well. That car is a sleeping beast! While in Sport + mode with the Performance Exhaust, it's the closest experience to the STI I've known. It may be above your budget, but at least give it a test drive.

I just read through the whole 3 pages and by page 2 i'm thinking C43 AMG. They are amazing cars for the money. A buddy was thinking of buying one a few months ago before his home situation got weird and decided to stay put, but we had one to flog around in for an afternoon. Holy hell....you can set it to be soft and quiet, or super tight and making you think there's flames coming out of the exhaust. Great great car!

Out of everything you mentioned, and I like the little X M235i thing and have considered one for us, but man please don't buy the STi...you have the word "mature" in the title and that is far from it. Go drive the MB.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      The CTR styling isn’t for everyone, but I have fallen totally in love with mine. Whoever tuned the suspension and chassis balance on that car deserves a huge raise. It is wickedly fast and composed, but in comfort mode it rides like a standard Civic. There are no penalties in usability or ride quality.
      Plus it's very practical.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      The biggest issue right now with the car is availability. There just aren’t very many for sale, and many dealers are still demanding $10k markups.
      I'm getting $8K off on 2020 X2 M35i and M235i...maybe there's a reason for that.

Plus it's very practical.

I'm getting $8K off on 2020 X2 M35i and M235i...maybe there's a reason for that.
      Let's talk turkey here. How much is the X2 M35i lease? What about the M235i?

And what else could you lease for how much? Because if it's about max bang for the buck how much can you lease a M340i for? Or an X3 M40i?

S3 is a fun car, but I get tired of cars real fast. I think there lies the problem.

I think I should just keep the X3 as the DD and get something fun like...a Miata on the side. Nah, I'd rather trade both in.

So far, I'm leaning towards the tall hatchback, aka X2 M35i for that reason.
      So...why did the S3 quietly exit the signature but still sits in the garage? Now you want a similar car. Sounds like there is something more to this story.

Speed/handling/whatever aside..... if you are mentally able to get out of your S3 and into a CTR, kudos to you.

It’s hideous in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      Speed/handling/whatever aside..... if you are mentally able to get out of your S3 and into a CTR, kudos to you.

It is ugly, but removing the wing and changing out those awful stock wheels definitely transforms the look. They are extremely eye-catching on the road, which can be good or bad.

Besides its looks though, it is a wonderful machine as long as it's working as intended. More practical than the Audi too.
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Why not an M2? CPO should fit your budget easily.

He generally leases cars, due to automotive ADHD (as evidenced by this thread).

I'd think that neither the STI or CTR would be lease champions.

I still think you stretch your budget and go RS3. That's a truly special car. The FWD-chassis BMW's are not, in any sense.

CTR is a great car to drive, offers a reasonably usable cabin, and the 2020MY cars seem to have a number of meaningful improvements. I just couldn't drive one as a daily (and generally speaking I'm someone who doesn't care about what people think of what I drive).

I wouldn't lease a new RS3 unless Smooremin can do some stupid deal. I would buy CPO, make sure the car is absolutely stock, and leave it that way (and try to get a 2018), it won't depreciate all that much. So many guys are treating these things like rented mules and putting them away wet that I truly believe stock ones will be worth good money down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post

To each hjs own, I suppose. I don't mind CTR styling. Don't worry, I think that there's exactly five CTR in 500 mile raduis autotrader.com. So I'm sure there are $10K markeups on them. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Sell them all, buy RS6
      THIS.

There are some good suggestions on this thread so far. I'm gonna test drive a Mercedes CLA 43AMG this weekend.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 09-16-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
      Why not an M2? CPO should fit your budget easily.
      That's too nice of an option for what's going on in this thread. Keep it compromised and keep it pseudo-practical. That seems to be the winning combo. But yeah, if it was my $50k, I'd be looking at actual performance cars---M2/3/4 are great options. Maybe an ATS-V. Pre-owned Guilia QF. If I needed something resembling practical, I'd be looking at a Stelvio of any sort and a Macan. The wild card would potentially be an e63 wagon that's several yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The wild card would potentially be an e63 wagon that's several yrs old.
      Another great choice.

I'm gonna test drive a Mercedes CLA 43AMG this weekend.
      No no no......C43 AMG

Get outta here with that CLA stuff.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      No no no......C43 AMG

Get outta here with that CLA stuff.
      Agreed.

Is the second-gen CLA any better? The first one was hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by poops View Post

I had the "fake" 43 amg motor in a bigger heavier CUV form (GLC43) with the factory sports exhaust upgrade, it's not even remotely Mustang loud but you could hear me coming from a block away with an occasional pop/bang, people would be surprised to see what followed the noises. I wouldn't buy a "43" variant without the factory exhaust upgrade

If you get bored with cars quickly, there's always the option of a lease takeover. I've done it once before on an E-class, took 30 days from start to finish, you can find them at:
      https://www.swapalease.com/lease/Mer...&style=AMG_C43 and
      https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/private-transfers/12

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast