Rain-X, Aquapel, Rain-X Washer fluid: What do you use? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by addictedtogum View Post
      I've tried Rain-x (original formula) and Aquapel and really didn't notice any difference except for a lighter wallet when I bought Aquapel. I was wondering how well the Rain-X washer fluid works, as that is certainly easier to use. I used up my last Aquapel, so I need to stock up with something. Is there anything newer/better out there now?
      No problems with Rain-X since it was invented. Clean your windshield, apply liberally, buff properly, NEVER use your wipers. This stuff lasts - at its most awesome strength - at most a few days and less if you ever use the wipers. There is nothing on the planet more satisfying that fresh Rain-X before a long rainy roadtrip.
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Rain X is pretty awful personally. Too much wiper chatter even with a properly prepped windshield. Aquapel does a pretty good job, is cheap, and lasts a good while, but it's a bit finicky to apply.

Your easy and inexpensive options are to use a spray wax or something after every wash and that honestly works just fine. A lot of times I've used Griots garage glass sealant. The bottle is like 9 bucks and a little goes a long way and it'll give you a good solid 6 months depending on conditions etc.... There's always a glass ceramic coating as well for more durability at a higher price. Lots of options.

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      You guys complaining about wiper chatter surprised me. I've literally never had wiper chatter after using Rain-X.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      No problems with Rain-X since it was invented. Clean your windshield, apply liberally, buff properly, NEVER use your wipers. This stuff lasts - at its most awesome strength - at most a few days and less if you ever use the wipers. There is nothing on the planet more satisfying that fresh Rain-X before a long rainy roadtrip.
      How is anyone in the snow belt supposed to avoid using wipers during winter months?

Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      How is anyone in the snow belt supposed to avoid using wipers during winter months?
      This. The people recommending not using the wipers obviously don't live in the frozen hellscape that is winter in the Midwest and Northeast. No amount of beading will help with the slush/salt/dirt slurry that gets blasted all over the windshield - only mechanical wiping works.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      This. The people recommending not using the wipers obviously don't live in the frozen hellscape that is winter in the Midwest and Northeast. No amount of beading will help with the slush/salt/dirt slurry that gets blasted all over the windshield - only mechanical wiping works.
      I get enough snow that I know what it's like. The gunk thrown up by tires in winter will definitely stick, but there are no two ways about it. With Rain-X it's far, far easier to wash off the windshield. Wet snow will slide off easier, too.

WARNING to Bus guys: Do NOT put it on early Microbus windshields. If the overhead vents are closed the rain goes in little circles right in front of you, but if it's open it goes up... right into the overhead ventilation!

No:

I have never personally tried this, but I came across this video when looking to see if the potato trick worked. According to this guy, rubbing shaving cream on your interior window will prevent fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      You guys complaining about wiper chatter surprised me. I've literally never had wiper chatter after using Rain-X.
      Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by how many people dislike these products. Any time I've gotten chatter it's because I was running the wiper at a significantly higher rate than necessary. The beauty of the product IMO is that it beads and requires very little actual wiper use. Having beads of water that roll off always seemed preferable to a blurry smear of water across the windscreen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I agree that not using the wiper isn't a realistic option for me (well it's more viable now, but living in Chicago and Rochester, NY I definitely needed to use the wipers). That said, Rain-x does significantly reduce how often I need to use the wipers in almost all conditions.

Has anyone mentioned the issue with VW/Audi cars and Rain-X and like windshield washers? The ingredient was coating the sensor and setting off the low washer warning light on the dash. Dealers would fix it once when it was a new issue. This was a while ago. Don't know if it's still an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by aethelwulf View Post
      Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by how many people dislike these products. Any time I've gotten chatter it's because I was running the wiper at a significantly higher rate than necessary. The beauty of the product IMO is that it beads and requires very little actual wiper use. Having beads of water that roll off always seemed preferable to a blurry smear of water across the windscreen to me.
      Definitely. I've always used Bosch wipers, have kept them clean, and used them as little as is practical and I get about a year before they have any issues, and I replace them when I see a noticeable performance reduction. I rarely see any chatter whether I use Rain-X or not. I clean them every time I get gas and clean the glass underneath them as well, so perhaps that's part of it. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by aethelwulf View Post
      I agree that not using the wiper isn't a realistic option for me (well it's more viable now, but living in Chicago and Rochester, NY I definitely needed to use the wipers). That said, Rain-x does significantly reduce how often I need to use the wipers in almost all conditions.
      I've noticed it's easier to scrape ice off of the windshield if there's a fresh coat of Rain-X and snow/slush/ice/dirt buildup is easier to control, too.

I personally try to use a glass sealant (Adams), from car detailers, it lasts a lot longer than rain-x.

However, when its wearing off, I use rain-x orange wiper fluid and its pretty good. 100% I can tell the difference with and without, I specifically use it in the winter.
      I have found in heavy rain, not using some kind of windshield application is night and day difference for visibility, especially at night.
      The problem with using a windshield sealant is it has to be very clean to apply which is difficult in winter, which is why I use rain x wiper fluid at those times.

This was how I determined its effectiveness. Got a brand new car, didn't seal the windshield, winter came. I was on a trip and it was raining/snowing at night and I couldn't see ****. When I got to my destination I picked up some rain-x orange at walmart. Throughout the week I was cleaning the windshield with it and noticed it was beading up. On my way home from the trip it was raining and it was very apparent it was working vs days before.
      Ever since I use it in the winter time. I even bought the Rain-x cleaner 2 in 1 spray which I use on cars I borrow from work and even rental cars I take on trips because I think it works so well compared to nothing. It doesn't last long, but typically I only use these cars for days- weeks.

I've noticed it's easier to scrape ice off of the windshield if there's a fresh coat of Rain-X and snow/slush/ice/dirt buildup is easier to control, too.
      100% without a doubt.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

I’m in the camp that these windshield additives never worked for me. What has worked consistently is keeping the glass clean. I clay the windshield a couple times a year. When cleaning the windows, windshield included, 2 cups water, 1/8 cup white vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dawn dish soap and dry with newspaper. The glass is so clean, water will bead and blow off. Blades glide smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      Same. It drove me crazy. I haven't used any of that stuff in years.
      Ditto. I clean my windshield, and then clean it some more.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Anyone every try this? I wanted to but sorta forgot about it:
      P21S Windshield Wash Booster

https://www.p21s.com/portfolio/windshield-wash-booster/

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDude View Post
      I’m in the camp that these windshield additives never worked for me. What has worked consistently is keeping the glass clean. I clay the windshield a couple times a year. When cleaning the windows, windshield included, 2 cups water, 1/8 cup white vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dawn dish soap and dry with newspaper. The glass is so clean, water will bead and blow off. Blades glide smoothly.
      I just cracked 200,000 miles on my Fit, so a windshield that pitted won’t do that. I’ll take the additives to try to compensate for the age/mileage.

I never really liked Rain-X. Its better than nothing but it doesn't last long and tends to cause wiper chatter as noted. RainX is sort of like putting a dressing on the glass, I believe it is a silicone suspended in a alcohol so it just leaves a layer on the glass when the alcohol evaporates. I'm not a chemist though. That being said if I am going to be driving a rental car and rain is forecasted, I use the Rain-X 2-1 glass cleaner/rain-x because, its better than nothing on the glass and the short duration works for my trip.

For years I have used Aquapel, and I have been very happy with it. One applicator can get me an entire cars glass done if you apply it correctly. I usually apply every 6-9 months. Aquapel actually forms a bond with the glass to fill in the microscopic pores in the glass, This is what Glass coatings/nano/ceramic/quartz/SI02/whatever buzz words are being used do and is why they last longer and perform better.

A few years ago I bought Gtechniq G1 Clear vision smart glass. It's not any harder than aquapel to apply just follow the directions. It lasts much longer and the larger bottles will get you a lot of vehicles done. I believe my bottle is 3 years old and it still works fine. They do offer smaller bottles for one time use. It is my current go to product. I use it on all my cars, my families and my customers.

I have tried Mckees 37 Glass coating and while some people love it, I could never get very good results from it.

IGL Ecocoat Window was another dud.

If your wipers are chattering you have a few options:

Clean them

Replace them

Some of the glass coating manufacturers actually say to apply the glass coating to the wiper edge (Geyon for instance) They say this helps with chatter.

That being said I do not get chatter with aquapel or G1 but I also barely use my wipers when at speeds over 35-40mph, as they are not needed. If you apply something to your glass, drive fast, and use the wipers like normal than you probably will get chatter or skipping across the glass.

I do not like using the washer fluid add-ins because the fluid goes everywhere when you spray and if you have headlight washers that use the same reservoir you are just covering your paint with something. It might not last long but it could have adverse effects on different materials.
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

I've also had issues with wiper chatter when trying to use rain-x. It works great when it doesn't happen but my few bad experiences keep me from going through the hassle of applying it again. This was also always on new cars if that makes any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I have never personally tried this, but I came across this video when looking to see if the potato trick worked. According to this guy, rubbing shaving cream on your interior window will prevent fogging.

Do not refer to ChrisFix as this guy.
      2013 Golf R - VWR Intake - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP - SPM TurboBack Exhaust - Autotech Fuel Pump - More to Come
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

Washer fluid: I buy whatever stuff is at the gas station and I actively stay away from the rain-x branded or other name brand washer fluids as i find they leave film on the window/a-pillars and other areas not being touched by the wipers.

windshield wax/sealant etc: I swear by Rain-x, I've used it religiously on all my cars since high school and I use my wipers as sparingly as possible. Typically only when stopped at a light because there is no wind to push the water off, and even then I'm manually activating the wiper blades. I'm not OCD by any stretch but I definitely have some odd OCD-like tendencies, wiper blades is one. I cannot stand having them on, in fact seeing other people with them on at ridiculous speeds for the weather at hand bothers me. *shrugs*.

That said, detailers have picked up on this stuff and I no longer apply it myself, I do have a bottle just in case, but whatever the captive detailer guy uses at my office building (comes once a week and circulates between 3-4 buildings downtown) that does my car every other week (hand wash inside/out for $25! or full on detail for $80) works fantastically.

Also, fun fact, use rain-x on your shower doors. Helps keep streaks/water spotting down and makes them much easier to clean. If your wife does the cleaning, its some easy automotive related brownie points. "hey honey, I got this stuff for the car but it'll make your life easier!" You also don't need to do the full on thick application and buff off process since it's not dealing with the elements like our cars do. A light sheen and wipe is usually enough.

Edit to address wiper chatter: I've found that taking a rag/paper towels doused in windex or a light multi-surface cleaner to the blades removes the dirt/grime that builds up on the blades and the chatter stops. I've also noted that because I use my blades so sparingly I replace them at a ridiculously low rate. I think the recommended life span of a wiper blade is like 3-6 months. I think I went 2 years on my last set of bosch icons. So take note of how old the blades are as they may simply need to be replaced.

Speaking of which, the blade itself is super important. more so that it fits/lays correctly on the windshield than the design/brand itself, but I am preferential to Bosch Icons. I even tried other brands of the same design after they started copying the Icon, no where near the same performance. On the other hand, I've had scenarios where the OEM blade really works best.
      Last edited by GLI Dan; 09-16-2020 at 09:56 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Typically only when stopped at a light because there is no wind to push the water off, and even then I'm manually activating the wiper blades. I'm not OCD by any stretch but I definitely have some odd OCD-like tendencies, wiper blades is one. I cannot stand having them on, in fact seeing other people with them on at ridiculous speeds for the weather at hand bothers me. *shrugs*.

Also, fun fact, use rain-x on your shower doors. Helps keep streaks/water spotting down and makes them much easier to clean. If your wife does the cleaning, its some easy automotive related brownie points. "hey honey, I got this stuff for the car but it'll make your life easier!" You also don't need to do the full on thick application and buff off process since it's not dealing with the elements like our cars do. A light sheen and wipe is usually enough.

Edit to address wiper chatter: I've found that taking a rag/paper towels doused in windex or a light multi-surface cleaner to the blades removes the dirt/grime that builds up on the blades and the chatter stops. I've also noted that because I use my blades so sparingly I replace them at a ridiculously low rate. I think the recommended life span of a wiper blade is like 3-6 months. I think I went 2 years on my last set of bosch icons. So take note of how old the blades are as they may simply need to be replaced.

Speaking of which, the blade itself is super important. more so that it fits/lays correctly on the windshield than the design/brand itself, but I am preferential to Bosch Icons. I even tried other brands of the same design after they started copying the Icon, no where near the same performance. On the other hand, I've had scenarios where the OEM blade really works best.

I agree with this. Especially the first part!
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post

OEM VW wiper blades usually last for a couple years. When I do use my wiper it's on the lowest intermittent setting or just occasionally using the one swipe function.

People who use the highest wiper speed in anything other than a monsoon make me shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      razor blade, Stoner's Invisible Glass, and a clean rag. top the fluid tank off with OEM stuff and a good set of wipers. I've never had any issues with visibility or wiper chatter.
      Just throwing this out there for those who don't know.

Instead of using a razor blade, detailers trick is super fine steel wool (home depot, Lowes, etc) with your glass cleaners, then use your cloth/paper towels. Takes all the buggies off pretty well, I use this method on the regular.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

I bought a case of the BMW Washer Concentrate and I mix my own with distilled water. I make summer and winter mixes. That isht will clean/melt anything.

Any other fluid will clog the delicate BMW washer motor screen, which sets off an unusually complicated process to find, remove, clean, and replace either the screen and/or the burned out motor. Of f-ing course. Thanks BMW.

Firstly, yes it did wipe them off, as that's how it does its job. It rejects the water, causing it to bead so that it can be moved/removed by the air passing over the windshield.

And more importantly you need to drive faster and turn off the wipers.
      It was a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure what was happening I just remember having a lot of visibility issues and the large beads of water were basically just being moved back and forth by the wipers.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      Just throwing this out there for those who don't know.

Instead of using a razor blade, detailers trick is super fine steel wool (home depot, Lowes, etc) with your glass cleaners, then use your cloth/paper towels. Takes all the buggies off pretty well, I use this method on the regular.
      Bronze wool is better because it's much less likely to leave any scratches and works just as good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast