VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Anyone used these window seal kits?

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  vwpieces 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
#3 ·
Haven't had experience with the seals. But we have the chrome bumpers and body line trim from them for our truck and haven't been thrilled with the quality. Price is good, but both the bumpers and the trim needed modifying to work.

#14 ·
I have this kit for my 81 truck. I havent installed it yet but I layed everything out. Some of the seals need trimming. Im unsure how your suppose to get the big seal for the top of the window to actually stay in place. The rubber is molded to sort of grab the door frame but doesnt hold the seal in place when you have the make the bend at the top corner of the window. Maybe I need to use some adhesive?

#18 ·
Think of a bamboo spoon to assist.

If you use a spatula, round the corners...
Oh and if you pull on the material as you are forcing it in, it gets thinner, think of replacing a window screen and if you slightly pull on the spline it becomes thinner and seats in to the grove of the screen easier....

#22 ·
I bought 4 wheels from Heritage that came in two boxes and shipping was free.
I’ve bought seals from Mexico. I think it’s the same guy named Ducky Ducky who also sells on the Samba. Seals were garbage. Too floppy and the rear hatch seal was impossible to install.

#24 ·
Yes... I ship parts regularly.

International shipping From USA has the highest rates. And the buyers need to pay customs fees on top of it.
I judge the shipping by what it would cost Me to ship from USA. On the $60 Large item shipping cost for one rear window seal, I can ship that seal out of USA for $35 in a flat rate envelope or box.

On another note I also was looking at buying a plastic rear euro bumper from Heritage. Shipping on that bumper alone was $80 which actually seems reasonable. $60 for one seal... not so much.

I will never buy any parts from Duckhead. Simply because he has been using MY 83 TD Jetta picture without permission. I have told him to take the picture down several times because he doesn't even have the curtesy to block out my plate number. While he might take it down initially he just posts it back up later. He is using my rear shot of my car with the FOHA rear spoiler in his ad selling reproductions. After all these years he still hasn't used a picture of the Actual spoiler he is having made. Seems sketch to me, or the product quality is so bad he don't want you to see it.

I also tried to dig into the site posted above from Mexico, to see if it had any similarities to some of the sites Duckhead uses. He has used a couple different store names. I dont think it's him but many similar products. Perhaps same suppliers on stuff.

#25 ·
Ended up ordering all possible seals for my truck from https://www.classic-vw.co.uk for about 421 shipped.
A few guys in the UK have recommended them to me as great seals/great vendor + some of the seals are actually OEM.

I'm thinking seals are cheaper in Europe because there have been re-pops forever and so many of the cars were on the road there compared to here.

Will updated on fit and quality when they arrive.

#26 · (Edited)
My rear window seal arrived today from Belgium. I was given a useless tracking number but it arrived pretty quick.
Not a source for seals but here is a link to the auction page with 2 remaining.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/autocity-eu-171-845-521-Junta-luneta-trasera/193441488374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

While repackaged, it appears to be original VW part. Hard to decipher the stickers but I think the seller bought out a parts store or repair shop, Keverparts B.V. Found an auction listing for the place. Not 100% certain but the VAG on the yellowish tag may determine the origin before repacking. Maybe??

It'll be installed soon cause I'm already tired of sopping up water from the rear. I keep it parked on a hill rear down. Been a rainy week too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.