Thinking of purchasing a CPO 2016 or 2017 Cayenne GTS
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Thinking of purchasing a CPO 2016 or 2017 Cayenne GTS

Thinking of purchasing a CPO 2016 or 2017 Cayenne GTS. What do you think of these? Any reasons to avoid them?
      TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do it.

The end.

Buy a real Porsche.
      ||||||||||||||
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan1 View Post
      Thinking of purchasing a CPO 2016 or 2017 Cayenne GTS. What do you think of these? Any reasons to avoid them?
      TIA!
      I'd say go for it. Do you have any listing that you can show us?
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

I had a ‘16S. Great highway car. Build quality and interior materials are great. Some weak spots to watch out for. Transfer cases are wear items and you kind of a pita though they have extended the warranty to address. Air suspension can be problematic.

I got rid of mine primarily due to comfort having to do with driving position. The pedals are offset to the left due to a really wide transmission tunnel. Tough for me to find a comfortable driving position with my right leg so far left, if you know what I am sayin’ drive one and put a few miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '10 997.2S, 6spd SPASM, '18 Macan S. Many departed fun cars.

Any reason you’re not looking at the V8’s? They’re a little slower but much more fun to drive in my experience and opinion.

I’ve driven both and ended up with a 2013 GTS. I love the damn thing and they sound incredible with the exhaust open. Throttle response is instant too. Such an amazing car and it still shocks me at how well it turns in and resists understeer.

Unless you hate V8’s for some reason go drive one and see if it’s worth sticking on your list.

Porsche also just added a 10 yr warranty to the transfer cases which was the only real weak spot on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Buy a real Porsche.
      It's not a Macan.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you're looking at a CPO GTS I'm wondering if you could sneak into a '19+ base or S. The new platform is a bit less truckish, but overall it's a fantastically improved vehicle. Drives like a sedan, it's insane, unless you're mostly concerned with the engine, it's worth giving up the bigger motor for IMHO.

Otherwise, 958's are fantastic, I got mine through a weird turn of convenient dieselgate events, but I still have it 2 years later, love it. I think it's actually my daily. Definitely a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none situation, but the car is just never out of sorts. You can load 80lb bags of concrete on Friday, valet at a fancy hotel for a weekend getaway Saturday, have fun on the back-roads home Sunday, and then trailer your [small] race car to the track on Monday, all happily in the same car.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Not sure what your budget is, but if you're looking at a CPO GTS I'm wondering if you could sneak into a '19+ base or S. The new platform is a bit less truckish, but overall it's a fantastically improved vehicle. Drives like a sedan, it's insane, unless you're mostly concerned with the engine, it's worth giving up the bigger motor for IMHO.

Otherwise, 958's are fantastic, I got mine through a weird turn of convenient dieselgate events, but I still have it 2 years later, love it. I think it's actually my daily. Definitely a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none situation, but the car is just never out of sorts. You can load 80lb bags of concrete on Friday, valet at a fancy hotel for a weekend getaway Saturday, have fun on the back-roads home Sunday, and then trailer your [small] race car to the track on Monday, all happily in the same car.
      ]

Agree 100% with this. I had a loaner base and I was shocked at how fast it was (as quick as my '13 GTS, maybe quicker) and the handling is unbelievable. The chassis is so composed and buttoned down - I think the biggest change was the responsiveness of the front end, the car is so agile. My knocks on the new one are the interior is not that special and the engines aren't either despite their power and torque outputs.

If these aren't big issues for you, I think the new car is a great buy, especially as they come off lease deals and the depreciation hits.
      Last edited by Ronan1; Yesterday at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan1 View Post
      ]
      Agree 100% with this. I had a loaner base and I was shocked at how fast it was (as quick as my '13 GTS, maybe quicker) and the handling is unbelievable. The chassis is so composed and buttoned down - I think the biggest change was the responsiveness of the front end, the car is so agile. My knocks on the new one are the interior is not that special and the engines aren't either despite their power and torque outputs.
      Yup, responsiveness in general. 958 has some roll to it; it corners well but you have to be smooth. The E3 chassis might be the biggest/tallest point-and-shoot handling vehicle ever made.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but in a few years when my diesel gets tired I'm for sure replacing it with one of those.

Thanks for all the input so far. I drove a 2016 yesterday and loved the ride. Sport exhaust sounds great. I didn't like the interior color, beige on brown, and may hold out for a 2017 to get CarPlay.

I've not driven a V8 but now I am intrigued and am looking for one to go test out.

Budget may not be able to get me into a 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan1 View Post
      Thanks for all the input so far. I drove a 2016 yesterday and loved the ride. Sport exhaust sounds great. I didn't like the interior color, beige on brown, and may hold out for a 2017 to get CarPlay.

I've not driven a V8 but now I am intrigued and am looking for one to go test out.

Budget may not be able to get me into a 2019.
      Please do report back when you drive a V8, they're a hairy beast Re: CarPlay, if you pick up a pre-2017 model with PCM 3.1 (Nav) CarPlay can be retrofitted for a couple hundo (maybe figure $1k including install) so it's not the end of the year. The improved Nav w/Carplay is the big change for 2017, but the prices for the '17's are thousands more than for the '15's & '16's. The CarPlay retrofit can be also made to the '13's & '14's assuming they were ordered with the factory nav also (PCM3.1, if specified, was on all Cayennes from 2011-2016).