Jalopnik changed their layout and it sucks. Where do you go now?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jalopnik changed their layout and it sucks. Where do you go now?

Jalopnik updated their layout so it matches the rest of their sites and it kinda sucks. Lost me as a reader.

Where else do you guys go for car blogs? thedrive.com has been my Jalopnik replacement but I'd like to expand a bit further...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I suggest the following revision to the title:

"Jalopnik changed their layout and it sucks. Where do you go now?

I like Road and Track. They are pretty good with news while Car and Driver is a little more driving/reviews.

My Instagram is about 75% automotive related follows, I get most of my reading/viewing in there. Everything from the big magazine/reviewer names everyone recognizes, auto companies and their subsidiaries relevant to my interests, F1 and certain teams, youtube personalities, the individual journalists, photographers, and other enthusiasts. And then of course the almighty TCL, that generally satiates my thirst for automotive media.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      My Instagram is about 75% automotive related follows, I get most of my reading/viewing in there. Everything from the big magazine/reviewer names everyone recognizes, auto companies and their subsidiaries relevant to my interests, F1 and certain teams, youtube personalities, the individual journalists, photographers, and other enthusiasts. And then of course the almighty TCL, that generally satiates my thirst for automotive media.
      The stats are undeniable: whether they like Jalopnik or not, 100% of this thread's readers visit TCL - so doesn't that tell the full story?

In for more.
      I've been reading that site almost daily since 2008/9 and it's been a great run but over the last year(s) I've seen a lot of crap: great editors leave, saw an editor recently tell a reader to "eat ****" because the reader pointed out a mistake, a major uptick in reruns of articles perhaps due to lack of new/interesting content, politics being inserted into articles where there shouldn't be, a cesspool of awful comments, etc. Then there's the ads. So many effing ads. I've literally found myself reading articles between auto play videos and banner ads on my phone...and yet I kept going back.

Last week's site redesign was a wake up call that it's time to move on. It requires more clicking/scrolling to get to the content (i.e. more opportunity for ads), requires more sifting through old content to get to the new, and just downright sucks. Yes you can bypass it by going to jalopnik.com/latest but honestly given everything else I threw in the towel last week. From a car content perspective I'm single ready to mingle.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post

True, true... I'm a patient guy but this redesign lost me on Gizmodo too.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      In for more.
      I've been reading that site almost daily since 2008/9 and it's been a great run but over the last year(s) I've seen a lot of crap: great editors leave, saw an editor recently tell a reader to "eat ****" because the reader pointed out a mistake, a major uptick in reruns of articles perhaps due to lack of new/interesting content, politics being inserted into articles where there shouldn't be, a cesspool of awful comments, etc. Then there's the ads. So many effing ads. I've literally found myself reading articles between auto play videos and banner ads on my phone...and yet I kept going back.

Last week's site redesign was a wake up call that it's time to move on. It requires more clicking/scrolling to get to the content (i.e. more opportunity for ads), requires more sifting through old content to get to the new, and just downright sucks. Yes you can bypass it by going to jalopnik.com/latest but honestly given everything else I threw in the towel last week. From a car content perspective I'm single ready to mingle.
      Couldn't have said it better myself. We're on the same page 100%. Reading articles on my phone and having the page reload just to populate new ads was the second-to-last straw.

Just adding a quick comment; I've been digging these two blogs for years:

https://silodrome.com -- just cool enthusiast stuff, and seems to be updated at least once a day.

https://www.bikeexif.com -- updated less frequently but still active, all motorcycle-related and mostly recent builds of classic bikes. I have an 80 CB750 setup half-assed cafe style, this CB900 really caught my eye though:

https://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb900f-custom

I just go to jalopnik.com/latest. Essentially goes back to their old format

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

What is this "Jalopnik" you speak of?

i go here

You guys still reading Jalop?

95% of my anything news is Reddit now, let alone cars.

The rest is TCL.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
      Jalopnik updated their layout so it matches the rest of their sites and it kinda sucks. Lost me as a reader.

Where else do you guys go for car blogs? thedrive.com has been my Jalopnik replacement but I'd like to expand a bit further...
      Remember... if you don't like Jalopnik's layout, wait until next week.

They've been changing their layout for YEARS, what about this one was the last straw?

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      i go here
      Ya know, at the end of the day.....this is the right answer.

I still don't know of a better aggregate news/discussion forum anywhere. And that's why I keep coming back here year over year, for 20 years.

Jesus Horatio Christ, did I just write that?
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Do they still lurk here and steal content from users without any credit?
      signatures are annoying, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

If you prefer the old design, just go to:

Jalopnik.com/latest

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Not sure, but you would be referring to Matt f[BLEEP]ing piece of s[BLEEP] Hardigree. I don't think he comes around here any more....or if he does its in an alias.

Frankly, I go to Autoblog for my news and updates. All the juicy content, none of the post-teenager bull**** snark.

I swear if I read one more "I JUST LOOKED AT THIS CAR AND ZOMG I CAN'T EVEN."....
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      They've been changing their layout for YEARS, what about this one was the last straw?
      I like reading articles in order of release date not looking across a half dozen sub sections to get the content which itself involves sifting through even more ads and more re-posts than what existed previously. I was already at my limit of frustration with that website for reasons explained in my previous post this was just one too many. For me it wasn't a "that's the last straw!" moment, it was more of an unplugging from something I've fixated on for so long and agreeing it's time to try something new.

Yeah it's been terrible for quite some time. I mainly check r/cars now. Nice aggregator without all the clutter and ads

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      All the juicy content, none of the post-teenager bull**** snark.

I swear if I read one more "I JUST LOOKED AT THIS CAR AND ZOMG I CAN'T EVEN."....
      I let Jalopnik's "We're Hiring" post from 9/1/20 and the top rated comment explain...

Jalopnik is hiring! We’re looking for three new staff writers, no experience necessary. We’re especially interested in hearing from people who don’t see their experiences in car culture represented in automotive media. If you’re interested in doing serious journalism, posting, making “humorous” observations or goofing around with cars, apply here.
      https://jalopnik.com/were-hiring-1844909903

Top comment:
      "no experience necessary"

-that says it all. such a shame what this site has become.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Hahahahahahah. I think the only people that visit TCL these days is us. There hasn't been a breaking story or original content worth sharing from here in years.

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Yup, Instagram and Twitter are full of car news and discussion. And this place, obviously.

The only time I hit up any of the car blogs, including Jalopnik, is if I've clicked there from a social media link.
      Last edited by Sporin; 09-16-2020 at 08:26 PM.

When I used to go to Jalopnik, I felt that 1/3 of their stories were filched from posts here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast