2021 BMW M3/M4 to be Unveiled Sept23
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

2021 BMW M3/M4 to be Unveiled Sept23

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really like the new front as seen on the new 4-series and am quite excited to see it on the M3.

Still just under a week away, but thought I'd start a thread in anticipation.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.
      Navarra_RS6

Really disappointed the AWD version won’t be available until next model year, especially when that’s the drivetrain already in use in the X3M.
      20 BMW M2 CS
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      Really disappointed the AWD version won’t be available until next model year, especially when that’s the drivetrain already in use in the X3M.
      That is a disappointment. I wonder if they'll roll out X-Drive earlier in Canada. That's the only way I would consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      That is a disappointment. I wonder if they'll roll out X-Drive earlier in Canada. That's the only way I would consider it.
      July 2021 is the production start date for it. I got tired of waiting and my next car arrived at the dealer on Friday and I just need to get over there to pick it up.
      20 BMW M2 CS
      18 BMW X3 M40i

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really like the new front as seen on the new 4-series and am quite excited to see it on the M3.
      #Banhawc

That is kinda strange. The entire drivetrain has more of less been available for a year at this point—I wonder why this has been such an extended development cycle? Could be wrong, but it seems very dragged out.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Wanting AWD on an M car is almost as big a crime against humanity as the nasty buck teeth on that thing.

Gross.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Never thought Id hear people clamor for an AWD M car.

Remember when ///M cars were more than garish buck tooth grilles and spec sheet thrills? PEpperidge Farm remembers

I usually hate bitter nostalgia but there is honestly nothing about the G8x I'm looking forward to.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

I didn't realize they were still making it in rwd only

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I usually hate bitter nostalgia but there is honestly nothing about the G8x I'm looking forward to.
      Kind of a shame considering it's probably the last six cylinder and/or RWD manual transmission sedan to be offered on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Kind of a shame considering it's probably the last six cylinder and/or RWD manual transmission sedan to be offered on the market.
      Dont worry, the stock H8x M3/4 will put down 600WHP+ on a Dynojet.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Remember when ///M cars were more than garish buck tooth grilles and spec sheet thrills? PEpperidge Farm remembers

What? Why?

The G8x series has been nearly universally praised as having better steering feel and handling than the F8x series. (I think) it looks better, OTHER THAN the ugly buck teeth/pig nose. It will have a manual transmission.

Have you actually reached the point where having more power is a turnoff?

Seriously. Other than the looks, this has the potential to be the best M3 in years -- potentially since the e46.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Never thought Id hear people clamor for an AWD M car.
      With the power levels they're at now, unless you really like going sideways AWD starts to make more sense.
      20 BMW M2 CS
      18 BMW X3 M40i

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      What? Why?

The G8x series has been nearly universally praised as having better steering feel and handling than the F8x series. (I think) it looks better, OTHER THAN the ugly buck teeth/pig nose. It will have a manual transmission.

Seriously. Other than the looks, this has the potential to be the best M3 in years -- potentially since the e46.
      More power just means more weight, size, and cost. Speed limits haven't changed. I still want an E90/92 M3 personally.

What? Why?

Everyone doesn't enjoy cars through spec sheet bingo. What will the extra power of the G8x allow you to do that the F8x won't, besides brag about having more stock HP? For me the extra power is meaningless and not worth the extra weight, worse looks in and out, and same synthetic engine sounds. It's a shame that the manufacturer that literally invented the sport sedan doesn't have the balls to blink in this pointless spec sheet war.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      With the power levels they're at now, unless you really like going sideways AWD starts to make more sense.
      I guess the M2 is what the M3/4 used to be, and the M3/4 is what the M5 used to be, and the M5 is what the Porsche 911 Turbo has been since the 996.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Everyone doesn't enjoy cars through spec sheet bingo. What will the extra power of the G8x allow you to do that the F8x won't, besides brag about having more stock HP? For me the extra power is meaningless and not worth the extra weight, worse looks in and out, and same synthetic engine sounds. It's a shame that the manufacturer that literally invented the sport sedan doesn't have the balls to blink in this pointless spec sheet war.
      BMW's the only one releasing a RWD/6MT variant at this time if that's what you want. If you think it's too large and heavy, then wait for the G87 M2.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I guess the M2 is what the M3/4 used to be, and the M3/4 is what the M5 used to be, and the M5 is what the Porsche 911 Turbo has been since the 996.
      The M2 is basically your option if you want a new E46 M3. Hopefully the G87 continues that tradition.
      Last edited by ND40oz; 09-17-2020 at 02:25 PM.
      20 BMW M2 CS
      18 BMW X3 M40i

For the same reason I'd take a 911 GT3 long before a 911 Turbo.

Blog Entries
      What? Why?

Given that the new M3/4 isn't out yet, there's hardly a consensus agreement on anything with the new cars. The reality is that there's still dynamic question marks---adding AWD can very easily hinder the dynamics of a vehicle. What might work on an M5 isn't necessarily going to work on a 3/4 series-based vehicle. There's more room for comfort and isolation in the M5. So I wouldn't make any assumptions about the m3/4 based on the M5 if that's your thought. The inevitable RWD vs AWD comparos will be interesting to read about. But like CTK, I'm also not all that excited for the new cars. I mean, we generally know the specs of what we're getting. We've seen lots of images of the cars along the development pathway. Part of my lack of excitement is that I feel that I already know what we're getting---there's no surprise. I will of course, still check out what BMW has on offer, but I'm not expecting to be so excited that I will have my checkbook ready for a deposit.

Your comment about the front end reminds me of a craigslist ad where someone is selling a car advertised with minor front-end damage and perfection everywhere else. And in reality the bumper, grille, and lights are destroyed The front end is pretty important to most people. I don't like cars that are really nice looking but only from certain angles.

And then there's the power comment. I don't know about CTK, but for myself, HP numbers aren't really all that impressive or interesting any longer. They aren't a turnoff, but they aren't generally reason alone to be interested in a car. As long as something has "enough" power/torque and unless we're talking 600+ stock hp, it's a non-factor for me. I'm more about chasing the driving experience these days. If the new m3/4 can deliver on that, I will congratulate BMW on that success. But a reveal for these cars, won't be terribly exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich-chris View Post
      For the same reason I'd take a 911 GT3 long before a 911 Turbo.
      The problem with Porsche right now on the street is the gearing. A new GT4 will go 85 mph in second gear. I don't imagine a new GT3 is far off that. So even with less power you're still boned. At least a Turbo you can have some ridiculous launches

Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      That is kinda strange. The entire drivetrain has more of less been available for a year at this point—I wonder why this has been such an extended development cycle? Could be wrong, but it seems very dragged out.
      Could be a handful of reasons.
      Supply chain capacity.
      Development timing.
      Manufacturing startup.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      The problem with Porsche right now on the street is the gearing. A new GT4 will go 85 mph in second gear. I don't imagine a new GT3 is far off that. So even with less power you're still boned. At least a Turbo you can have some ridiculous launches
      #1 Mod on a GT4 would be shorter gears. #1 Mod on the new M3/4 would be new front bumper.

Have to say it's kind of funny that 2nd year on a GT4 is taller than 3rd on an STI.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast