VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Question about Alternators

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sgnimj96 
#1 ·
I have a 84 Gti and I need to get a new alternator. Is there a better brand alternator for my car than the oem or is it all the same??? this is my 3rd alternator that I'm getting. Seems weird.

#3 ·
Have it tested before leaving the store as they have probably been sitting on a shelf for a few years.
Clean all connectors to it, and if yours is a # prong plug type then you may need a new plug, Verify that your battery to frame and frame to engine grounds are good.

#5 ·
I never buy off the shelf rebuilt alternators. The quality of those is spotty at best. Pull the bad one and take it to a local auto electric shop for rebuild. Will probably be cheaper, and much better work.

#8 ·
I got a new alternator from Advanceauto that started making a 'click' periodically, turned out THE CASE BOLTS WERE LOOSE from the factory. Glad I caught it before damage.

thegave,
Great link on that old-style alt plug w/ pigtail, can't find that anywhere searching web or ebay, all euro results. That one has 10 gauge wires!

#9 ·
motorola vs bosch

The motorola alternators are cool because the brushes are separate from the voltage regulator. I soldered in standard brushes from oreilys , 6 bucks, had to sand em down to fit. Brushes are like big pencil leads, flat surface sandpaper til they were the right dimensions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.