VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Flock you and the rabbit you rode in on.

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  deathhare. 
#1 ·
Anyone flocked a dash before?
https://www.flockit.com/ has a good DIY pdf and it seems cheap, easy, fast and durable.

The whole process and all the dumb jokes surrounding it seem pretty straight forward but was hoping to get some first hand opinions.

Pics if you've done it would be nice too.

I have a damaged cabby dash that I can fix easily and this stuff will cover the repair very well I think.

#5 ·
On another forum (for a different make of car) there was quite a lot of discussion about flocking the dash a couple years ago. The consensus there seemed to be it isn't too difficult to do but it really isn't very durable. It shows any rubs or scrapes easily and over time it tends to shed and look a bit thin. It can also be susceptible to sun damage. But initially it looks great. So I guess it depends on your goals; if you are building a pampered show car and want the look then fine, but if it is to be a daily driver with normal wear and tear then not so good. I also like the look and was hoping to do it to a couple of my builds, but I changed my mind after the experiences of others.

I've been bouncing several other options around; upholstery, bedliner, wrinkle paint, felt, carpet (like used for those dash covers), etc.

#8 ·
Ive considered covering the dash with alcantara or something similar. Not sure about the stretching around front. Seems a lot harder to do right than flocking.
Ive read the flocking is very durable if its done right. If you let the undercoating dry too much (working time is very short with that stuff) then the flocking wont get its ends in deep enough and can affect durability.

#6 ·
Several years ago during the time when Fathers and sons sat with friends around a table filled with golden frothy libations served in Pitchers....My father related that his only attempt at flocking was a 35 Ford that he had bought for a few dollars, Him and his best friend decided that the well worn seats needed a do over and decided to Flock the Car..... It couldn't be that difficult... So they prepped cleaned Prepped and flocked the interior, not only the seats but the ratty headliner and Door cards... After about 3 days they decided it was right to drive it, so they got dressed to the "Nines" so they could cruise and pick up Dates... Well it seems that once they got up to about 20 miles an hour, they had a flocking snowstorm in the car where they couldn't see, and the starched white shirts were a variety of flocking bits... We were spitting our beers from laughing as he and Bob regalled the event. I think it all started as Bob had bought a new car with Velour interior and he said "Bill it is better than flocking." That started the whole recollection of memories.

#11 ·
use this combination, shoot the bedliner from about 18" back, do it on a warm day. follow up with a couple of light coats of the trim black:
That looks nice but not sure I would like that look on a cabby/jetta dash. I have two dashes to try. Might do one your way and the other flocking considering both routes are cheap and easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.