VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Got snowflake mags, should I paint them?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  2.8vrsick 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

After looking for a while, I finally found some decent snowflake mags not too far away from me. Still was a 6 hours drive round trip to get them but it was totally worth it!

They’re in real good shape but they seem “sand blasted“ because they lost all the paint that I see in pictures of what they’re supposed to look like.

What they look like:

What I thought they should look like (picture found in the net):

My questions are: we’re they painted black from the factory? And what kind of paint should I use to paint mags?

Thanks a lot!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
#3 ·
The original snowflakes had a dark charcoal background, and the faces of the rim and spokes were machined and clear coated.

Later versions were all painted, often antique silver like yours, sometimes in white.

#8 ·
I personally never liked the red or white ones... I think they only came on the convertibles. I’m a fan of the graphite colored windows, but do what you want, since it’s your car. The faces will have been diamond cut, but that’s pretty much impossible to replicate, at home.

I haven’t heard anyone use the term “mags”, in a long time.

-Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.