The $130k Porsche Hootenanny: 991.1 GT3 vs 991.1 Turbo S vs 992 Carrera S
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The $130k Porsche Hootenanny: 991.1 GT3 vs 991.1 Turbo S vs 992 Carrera S

Pandemics have a way of changing your priorities. Let's say you were to buy one of these modern Porsches with the intention of keeping it for 15-20 years. Second car, maybe 3-4k miles per year. What do you buy?

In one corner, 2014 GT3 -- The Banchee, a high revving loud potential $40k 3.8 out of warranty bomb. Because race car. $120-145k

• 2016 sounds like the year to get with the revised engine, but can only afford a 2014-2015 with the potential high-rev misfire.
      • These are warrantied until 2024, 2025 or 2026 depending on the year.
      • The 991.2 4.0 seems like the GT3 to buy, but that's way too much of a stretch.
      • Holds value better if it doesn't 'splode.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/911-GT3-166708

In the other corner, 2014-2016 Turbo S -- The Gentleman, an evolution of the VW Beetle with Veyron speed. Not much difference between the 991.1 and 991.2 Turbos in terms of performance or reliability, just styling mostly. $110-$130k

• Es fast.
      • Comfy.
      • Understated.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4828/overview/

And finally in this corner (it's a triangular ring) the 992 Carrera S -- The Trust Fund bb. Fresh! New! Depreciation ahoy! $110-$130k

• Beautiful design.
      • All the kushy new tech.
      • Potentially more reliable.
      • More power than you really ever need.
      • Tuneable af, if you need more power than you really ever need.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/...a-S-992-180006

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

GT is always the answer.

I chose the 991.1 Turbo (with my wallet). Overall it was an easy decision, 992 wasn't an option due to depreciation, and GT3 doesn't have back seats for the kids.

And IMHO, the brute power of the turbo makes it more fun than a GT3 in day to day driving.

Both the left and right halves of my brain say go GT3. Will retain it's value better, is more ridiculous, is somewhat special.

If it was my actual money I'd consider going back to the 997's. Depreciation is your friend as is a smaller body size and hydraulically assisted steering.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Easy. Look at 997 prices for historicals.

Turbo 997 and 991 S are already dropping quite a bit. 997 GT3 still demand a premium

GT always and twice on sunday.

I’ve chosen having 2 kids in private high school for $130k, Alex.

if it was my money, and I was already considering a 992s, I'd go with a 991.2 7mt and save the money? otherwise GT's gotta be it right? you'll lose the least on the other side. Also, I have my doubts about these contemporary GT cars holding their value as much as the older ones. Seems like there's a decent amount of production compared to the 996/7 cars. just IMO though, and I haven't followed the market.

I think forced electrification of vehicles by government regulation will do wonders for the value of the GT3 down the road when these types of cars can no longer be produced new.

I’ve longed after the “skittles” 997 GT3’s for a long time, I miss the fun color options and graphics on the 991. I’m not surprised 997’s are increasing in value.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      I think forced electrification of vehicles by government regulation will do wonders for the value of the GT3 down the road when these types of cars can no longer be produced new.

that might make all versions hold their value? but who knows

Given how much better the 4.0 is in the .2 and the potential hazard of the .1 motor, it is hard to recommend that car for a long termer. Also, the .2 turbo S is considerably faster than a .1. I ran a 10.52 @ 131 in my bone stock .2. That’s as fast as a fully modded .1 on 93 octane. .2s run 9s fully modded on 93 in good weather, and easily on E85. The car to get if wanting a turbo is a .2 regular turbo. Those have the VE improvements, and big HPFP of the turbo S with the turbos of the old .1 turbo S. They are slightly faster than the .1 turbo S due to said improvements but have a lot of headroom if modding becomes your thing down the road. 20k+ cheaper than a .2 Turbo S too.
      Last edited by Toaster29; 10-07-2020 at 12:39 PM.
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

I thought 991.1 GT3's all got new engines, and the new engines still have problems? Damn.

I would still go with GT3 especially if it was a weekend car

Tough call, the GT3 is great but never been blown away by the lust of them for street usability. 991.1TTS is a great car but still a laptop IMO, better than the 997tt for long road trips, but no manual so there is that.

For that type of cash get yourself a clean 997 Turbo, throw a good suspension/Intercoolers/tune and deal with the basic maintenance items to have a solid fast and fun sports car, that you can drive and not worry about value taking a hit.

I bought my 997tt as a summer daily but ended up only using it on road trips, it offers everything I could ask for out of a 911. Always found GT3's are much better on the track vs street driving as they dont offer the passing power that a Turbo has for those short passing zones on back roads, this makes it easy to get past a semi/3 cars in a quick boost and then back to having fun at a reasonable rate.

The PDK GT3 will suffer in value and be passed around like 996's have been as throw away fun IMO with 997 GT3/RS and 991.2 6spd/GT4's taking the sought after ownership. 991TTS will suffer like all turbos in down turned economies, but tuning power will always make them able to punch with the newest tech twenty years later.

No opinion/experience with the 992.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I thought 991.1 GT3's all got new engines, and the new engines still have problems? Damn.

I would still go with GT3 especially if it was a weekend car
      I'm very early in my research, but from what I understand there were 700 engines in the 2014's that were replaced from the fire debacle.

E-engine = 2014
      F-engine = 2015 and replaced 2014's (these still apparently have issues with metallurgy)
      G-engine = 2016 and all subsequent replacements for 2014 and 2015.

G-engines are apparently bulletproof without a lot of document failures.
      All 991.1 engines have a 10-year warranty from in-service date. And... I THINK... the replacement engines have a 10-year warranty from the replacement date (which is nuts, but also scary -- why do they need a 10-year warranty lol)

G motors are not bullet proof. DLC and finger follower issues still occur...and are seen on the .1 RS as well. It’s a lot more rare, but still a thing. The update to the solid valve train of the .2 freed 15-20 hp per AP when he was interviewed about the new 4L.
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

I'm in this exact predicament. I can't decide between .1 gt3 or rs, .1 or .2 turbo, 991.2 gts or 992. Well see what my brain decides come spring. I like a good deal. I even went to the PECLA and did the turbo vs GT3 option so I can narrow it to a specific car. I left that day more confused than ever. The spine tingling sound of the gt3 is unforgettable. The surge of power of the turbo is insane. I came from an FBO GTR and a manual hellcat and I'm addicted to speed.

I may not be able to resist an ultraviolet 991.1 RS. I'd daily drive the hell out of it and enjoy every minute!
      Current b9 S5 coupe, great daily.

Past: FBO MKV GTI, FBO R35 GTR, WK2 SRT Jeep, 6 speed Hellcat Challenger.

Out of the three I chose a...991.1 GTS manual

-992 is too big looking
      -No manual in .1 GT3 or Turbo
      -.1 GTS is still engaging, but perfectly suited to longer jaunts
      -Last NA GTS
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 10-07-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Given how much better the 4.0 is in the .2 and the potential hazard of the .1 motor, it is hard to recommend that car for a long termer. Also, the .2 turbo S is considerably faster than a .1. I ran a 10.52 @ 131 in my bone stock .2. That’s as fast as a fully modded .1 on 93 octane. .2s run 9s fully modded on 93 in good weather, and easily on E85. The car to get if wanting a turbo is a .2 regular turbo. Those have the VE improvements, and big HPFP of the turbo S with the turbos of the old .1 turbo S. They are slightly faster than the .1 turbo S due to said improvements but have a lot of headroom if modding becomes your thing down the road. 20k+ cheaper than a .2 Turbo S too.

good point, didn't think of this. I was stuck on turbo S models. But a .2 turbo is a great car
      Current b9 S5 coupe, great daily.

Past: FBO MKV GTI, FBO R35 GTR, WK2 SRT Jeep, 6 speed Hellcat Challenger.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      I'm very early in my research, but from what I understand there were 700 engines in the 2014's that were replaced from the fire debacle.

E-engine = 2014
      F-engine = 2015 and replaced 2014's (these still apparently have issues with metallurgy)
      G-engine = 2016 and all subsequent replacements for 2014 and 2015.

G-engines are apparently bulletproof without a lot of document failures.
      All 991.1 engines have a 10-year warranty from in-service date. And... I THINK... the replacement engines have a 10-year warranty from the replacement date (which is nuts, but also scary -- why do they need a 10-year warranty lol)

Is there a mileage limitation on the warranty?

I know one thing for me, when I own a car under warranty, it is pretty liberating. The knowledge that I would have another 5-6 years of engine warranty on a car I could pound on would be pretty awesome IMO. If I broke it after three or four years that would actually be a positive.

Don't know enough about them but I'd go for a 911-T maybe.

If not a 996 Turbo, remove 4WD and go for GT2 replica like that member on here with the black one.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Is there a mileage limitation on the warranty?

I know one thing for me, when I own a car under warranty, it is pretty liberating. The knowledge that I would have another 5-6 years of engine warranty on a car I could pound on would be pretty awesome IMO. If I broke it after three or four years that would actually be a positive.
      120k miles which is super impressive.

My Audi with 37k miles is covered for 100k and 2026 and I feel you on the security/resale value of a warranty. Of course replacing a 2.0T vs a GT3 motor is a little different lol.

I had a 2015 Turbo S last year. Kept it for 6 months and took a bath to get rid of it. It's a perfect poser car. You don't have to really drive because the computers are doing the work and the PDK is flawless. It's flashy and that's a double edged sword. If you're a poser and you need attention then you'll love it. If you need friends then buy it and join the local Porsche club; You'll fit right in. If you buy the car for yourself to quietly enjoy it then you're out of luck because people are jealous these days. The other side of the sword is if you "cut up" on the streets then be prepared to get eat **** and die looks from everyone not impressed with your $100+K purchase. If you're a poser and you cruise the mall in it then be prepared to get eat **** and die looks from everyone.

There's nothing subtle about these cars. If you buy for the track then you need to change the rotors if they're carbon, probably an extra set of wheels and tires if you're serious, and then cross your fingers and hope you don't wipe it down with Armco. That's a $20K investment and you haven't paid track fees or if you buy insurance for the weekend.

The power is amazing but after you nail it 10 or 20 times it's just another new techy car. It's cool for sure but still lacks soul IMO. I realize I'm in the minority and the market says otherwise. Just one man's experienced opinion. I mean ****, I own a Scirocco for goodness sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnO View Post
      I had a 2015 Turbo S last year. Kept it for 6 months and took a bath to get rid of it. It's a perfect poser car. You don't have to really drive because the computers are doing the work and the PDK is flawless. It's flashy and that's a double edged sword. If you're a poser and you need attention then you'll love it. If you need friends then buy it and join the local Porsche club; You'll fit right in. If you buy the car for yourself to quietly enjoy it then you're out of luck because people are jealous these days. The other side of the sword is if you "cut up" on the streets then be prepared to get eat **** and die looks from everyone not impressed with your $100+K purchase. If you're a poser and you cruise the mall in it then be prepared to get eat **** and die looks from everyone.

There's nothing subtle about these cars. If you buy for the track then you need to change the rotors if they're carbon, probably an extra set of wheels and tires if you're serious, and then cross your fingers and hope you don't wipe it down with Armco. That's a $20K investment and you haven't paid track fees or if you buy insurance for the weekend.

The power is amazing but after you nail it 10 or 20 times it's just another new techy car. It's cool for sure but still lacks soul IMO. I realize I'm in the minority and the market says otherwise. Just one man's experienced opinion. I mean ****, I own a Scirocco for goodness sakes.

It may have come off that I called all Porsche people posers. Not the way I feel about all Porsche people. In my brain that's the way I felt. Super expensive car, nearly drives itself if I get in a bind, shifts perfectly for me, I dunno - It wasn't what I expected. Plenty of people are happy with them and they buy them because they love them. I'm finally becoming an old man about things I guess.

For the money - it wasn't worth the thrills. I regretted not buying a manual GT3RS in spite of all the bling. For me, it would have just been a toy anyhow. I needed more engagement than driving mountain roads 25 mph over the speed limit, AC on, sound deadening, leather la z boy furniture, ..it's the crap but I just made the wrong purchase for me. Never got tired of looking at it.

ftfy
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnO View Post
      It may have come off that I called all Porsche people posers. Not the way I feel about all Porsche people. In my brain that's the way I felt. Super expensive car, nearly drives itself if I get in a bind, shifts perfectly for me, I dunno - It wasn't what I expected. Plenty of people are happy with them and they buy them because they love them. I'm finally becoming an old man about things I guess.

For the money - it wasn't worth the thrills. I regretted not buying a manual GT3RS in spite of all the bling. For me, it would have just been a toy anyhow. I needed more engagement than driving mountain roads 25 mph over the speed limit, AC on, sound deadening, leather la z boy furniture, ..it's the crap but I just made the wrong purchase for me. Never got tired of looking at it.
      Tell me... do you get almost the same enjoyment driving and owning the Mk2's and I don't mean that sarcastically. I genuinely think at certain point cars just don't deliver exactly what they're hyped up to do. Never meet your heroes kind of thing. I just prefer older cars with a bit more character and less tech I guess. 80's 90's are a sweet spot to me.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast