The $130k Porsche Hootenanny: 991.1 GT3 vs 991.1 Turbo S vs 992 Carrera S - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      I don't think the "Turbo" (capital T) is an option from those 3. Either 992 or the GT3 (heart says GT3, unless you're daily driving it)

I'd also vote 991.2 GTS (huge tuning potential currently available as well, and in the same price range).
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      Trust this guy. Hes owned all of the options listed.

But dem hips though.

I also forgot to add - if you want lightweight buckets (LWB) then your choice is made for you. Make sure you like the seat you choose, it could help you narrow down your choices

Save money, buy the .2 GT3. It'll retain its value for a long time too.
      I also agree with you however. If the GT3 ends up being a little too hard edged and/or back seats required, the GTS hits the compromise between a “regular” 911 and a GT3 perfectly. They are also rare and sought after. Resale will be strong on them too.

I’ve commented on it before, but a .2 GTS on GT3 rubber is faster than a .1 GT3 and nearly as fast as a .2 GT3 on track.
      Last edited by Toaster29; 10-08-2020 at 12:11 PM.
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

I'd probably go with the 992 C2S PDK out of this group or a 991.2 GTS PDK. I'm getting old and I like RWD.

errr .. $130k .. GT3 of course ... and listen to Toaster .. he knows his sh*t ... and has a few in the stable.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      errr .. $130k .. GT3 of course ... and listen to Toaster .. he knows his sh*t ... and has a few in the stable.
      I’m certainly not going to discount the opinion of the man who owns one, but there is something to be said about the fact that he has several. Of course if I could have several, one would be a GT3.

If I could only have one, and I planned on dailying it or using it frequently (road trips etc) I’m not sure GT3 is the answer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I’m certainly not going to discount the opinion of the man who owns one, but there is something to be said about the fact that he has several. Of course if I could have several, one would be a GT3.

If I could only have one, and I planned on dailying it or using it frequently (road trips etc) I’m not sure GT3 is the answer.
      GT3 Touring
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

let's be real here, let's stack the cars .

if you're buying a 911, chances you already have a DD covered ... but it's not my money. Overall cost of ownership might be a net positive with a GT3 that could perhaps yield an appliance free of charge vs $10-20k loss in depreciation.

As someone told me before their total cost of ownership on a 911 was significantly less than what I've spent on a new Golf R nevermind the $60-70k difference in price.

end goal is to drive something fun and appealing, wouldn't the GT3 be exactly that? How many do you see on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |

Every would-be Porsche buyer faces this similar dilemma - they just have so many options at any given price range especially once you go into 6 figures.

I'll choose the GT3 because I feel that is the most "attainable" pinnacle Porsche. I am sure it sucks for daily driving or when trying to park it into my garage off a tight cul-de-sac but god damn it, it is a GT3! I love the 997.2 GT3 looks the best (997.2 fanboi here) but the 991.1 GT3 is probably the one I want in my stable now.

let's be real here, let's stack the cars .

if you're buying a 911, chances you already have a DD covered ... but it's not my money. Overall cost of ownership might be a net positive with a GT3 that could perhaps yield an appliance free of charge vs $10-20k loss in depreciation.

As someone told me before their total cost of ownership on a 911 was significantly less than what I've spent on a new Golf R nevermind the $60-70k difference in price.

end goal is to drive something fun and appealing, wouldn't the GT3 be exactly that? How many do you see on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It’s interesting how different people approach it.

For me, a big part of 911 appeal is that it works as a DD. I already have a limited use sports car, I want something I can drive more. I could use a 911 as an only car, or a three-season car with an SUV for winter. I can put my kids in the back and haul them around.

That usability goes way down when you start talking GT3/RS etc.

That’s just my ideal use case. If I wanted a fair weather fun-only car I’d probably get something two seats and topless, maybe a 4.0L Boxster, maybe an older V8 Ferrari, whatever. Maybe even an older 911, 993, or yeah, maybe a GT3.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

It’s interesting how different people approach it.

For me, a big part of 911 appeal is that it works as a DD. I already have a limited use sports car, I want something I can drive more. I could use a 911 as an only car, or a three-season car with an SUV for winter. I can put my kids in the back and haul them around.

That usability goes way down when you start talking GT3/RS etc.

That’s just my ideal use case. If I wanted a fair weather fun-only car I’d probably get something two seats and topless, maybe a 4.0L Boxster, maybe an older V8 Ferrari, whatever. Maybe even an older 911, 993, or yeah, maybe a GT3.
      But OP is going to drive it 3-4k miles a year, already telling us it is not going to be his primary car. I get what you're saying, there's a reason and appreciation for people that daily their cars regardless of badge or cost. If I lived in FL (which might happen soon LOL) ... then I'd absolutely daily a 911 year round ... but up here in the tundra .. salt and snow .. and RWD is a no go ... but that's me. I'd probably want to own the best 911 as one can afford, I hope to be able to swing a GT3 in a few years!

But OP is going to drive it 3-4k miles a year, already telling us it is not going to be his primary car. I get what you're saying, there's a reason and appreciation for people that daily their cars regardless of badge or cost. If I lived in FL (which might happen soon LOL) ... then I'd absolutely daily a 911 year round ... but up here in the tundra .. salt and snow .. and RWD is a no go ... but that's me. I'd probably want to own the best 911 as one can afford, I hope to be able to swing a GT3 in a few years!
      Sorry I thought this was a “what would you buy” thread, not a “what should the OP buy” thread.

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      For a few hundred mile a month, long term ownership car, I'd go with the GT3. Have the special one, and savor it when you drive it sparingly.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Sorry I thought this was a “what would you buy” thread, not a “what should the OP buy” thread.
      re-reading the OP, sh*t ... now I'm confused ... I think you are right, my apologies. I thought he was asking US for feedback for HIM, not what I would buy. I think I've made my case clear nevertheless .

I do however agree with your assesment that if its a 1 car does it all .. probably jack of all trades vs specialized track toy. They all have their merrits.

PS: OP, good luck getting in and out of that car in 20 years ...

I'm hoping in the spring to pull the trigger on either a GT3, a 991.2 GTS a 992 Carrera S or a GT4. If I had to write the check right now I'd go for the GT4 as the big allure to the GTS and 992 are the backseats so I can throw the entire family in the car. The 991.1 GT3's make me a bit nervous on the motor and for similar or even less money I'd rather have a new GT4.
      Mike

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      GT3 Touring
      These dont depreciate lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

I am liking the suggestions of a manual 991.2 Carrera T, GTS or even an S from a holding value perspective.

A 991 50th Anniversary is in the low 6-figures and I’d imagine it will hold its value, but doesn’t do much for me emotionally.

I looked into the Sport Classic which is one of my favorite 997 models and didn’t realize they’re so rare, first listing was an ad on Hemings for $675,000 They were $260,000 new.

As an update, I drove a 991.1 GT3 (with rear axle steer, ceramic brakes, bucket seats and fresh sport cup 2s) last night. I always wondered how different it could be.

GT3 pros:
      1. the steering is telepathic
      2. magic happens between 7500 and 9000 RPM

GTS pros:
      1. torque
      2. livability
      3. refinement
      4. tunability

GT3 cons:
      1. midrange missing (5000 RPM feels gutless)
      2. supralegal speeds by the time it gets on the revs
      3. noisy/clunky at low speeds
      4. super stiff

GTS cons:
      1. less steering feedback
      2. even with PDCC feels a bit less 'planted'

It wasn't a total fair comparison as he had fresh sport cup 2s and I'm on worn P zeros. But a couple WOT turns on a back road gave immense confidence. The GTS is great in ALL situations, the GT3 is SUPERB in ONE. A few times I was chasing my GTS while driving his GT3 and if I was down a gear, the GTS pulled.

Its a tough call, but
      if you track regularly or only do spirited drives on the weekend: GT3
      if you do anything else: GTS

I'm just spoiled by the torque. I'm happy with my choice (semi luxury vs stripped out almost race car)
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      2017 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
      1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS 396
      2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic
      On order: 2022 Rivian R1S

I flirt with the idea of a 911 every so often.

At first, the 992 was ugly to me. I hated the front bumper, hated the little switch for the pdk, and the all digital dash - gag.

Then i was out biking with my kid, heard a car making loud noises. Look over and see a black 992 with a wing. All black, fat body etc. It stopped at a light and my son and I just stared at it. Then it took off. Sold.
      We came home and did some searching to find out it had an aerokit. Made the car look 100 times better.
      Twin turbo, RWD, and a stick. Pretty sure this is the 911 for me. It looks the part but isn't hard core or investment level 911 that i just can't and don't want to play in. A tune and some bolt ons should get it to 500whp in a 3300lbs car.

I did get to ride in a 997 and 991 GT3, its an experience. But i think the S with the factory aerokit is my favorite Porsche right now if i had to plunk down money for one.
      Boiler Up!

Maybe it's just me but I think people oversell the romance of a stiff and loud car

You can tighten up a Carrera or GTS was easier than you can tame or quiet down a GT3. And for this kind of money I would want to be able to enjoy the car as much as possible... Commuting, family road trips, track days

So while I love that the GT3 exists I would not want one. GTS with a tune, bolt ons and suspension work sounds way more.... Useful. My mind can't comprehend a $130K toy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      You can tighten up a Carrera or GTS was easier than you can tame or quiet down a GT3. And for this kind of money I would want to be able to enjoy the car as much as possible... Commuting, family road trips, track days
      There's so much variability in what you note however. I've read posts where people complain about the ride of the e9x M3. I find it to be perfect for the street. Yeah, over big bumps you definitely feel it. But I never feel beaten up after driving it. I don't like cars that have a rock hard ride, but I do tend to prefer sports cars with a firmer ride. Never driven a GT car or GTS---I'm sure I'd be fine with the GTS, but I'd really want to know how much different the GT car is. Not to mention there is the GT3 and GT3 RS. I would imagine the regular GT3 (or touring) would be just that much more supple (vs a GTS) but not punishing. It's the reason I can't really decide on a Cayman. I'd like to drive a GTS and potentially a GT4. Ride is simply something where the descriptions from other people will not necessarily apply to my opinions on ride.

Having written all of that, I also wouldn't want to use the car for all the things you mention. Road trips and commuting would kill the specialness for me personally. Occasional track days, trips to car-related events, driving for fun on back roads, maybe a fun rally---those would my use cases. For road trips, commuting, and hauling >2 people, I'd be fine with a moderately powerful sedan or SUV.

Your situation sounds like the perfect use case for an M3, C63, or various sport SUVs.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 10-20-2020 at 11:20 AM.

I'd have to go with a GT3. Does it make the most sense? Not at all. But I've always wanted a GT P car. So it's a no brainer for me.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      There's so much variability in what you note however. I've read posts where people complain about the ride of the e9x M3. I find it to be perfect for the street. Yeah, over big bumps you definitely feel it. But I never feel beaten up after driving it. I don't like cars that have a rock hard ride, but I do tend to prefer sports cars with a firmer ride. Never driven a GT car or GTS---I'm sure I'd be fine with the GTS, but I'd really want to know how much different the GT car is. Not to mention there is the GT3 and GT3 RS. I would imagine the regular GT3 (or touring) would be just that much more supple (vs a GTS) but not punishing. It's the reason I can't really decide on a Cayman. I'd like to drive a GTS and potentially a GT4. Ride is simply something where the descriptions from other people will necessarily apply to my opinions on ride.

Having written all of that, I also wouldn't want to use the car for all the things you mention. Road trips and commuting would kill the specialness for me personally. Occasional track days, trips to car-related events, driving for fun on back roads, maybe a fun rally---those would my use cases. For road trips, commuting, and hauling >2 people, I'd be fine with a moderately powerful sedan or SUV.

Your situation sounds like the perfect use case for an M3, C63, or various sport SUVs.
      Sport SUVs... yuck. I am wired weird I guess. I can rationalize having a motorcycle for that kind of second vehicle use case, but in my mind cars are too expensive to be sitting around for long stretches of time. I just can't do the whole car collector thing. I lean towards just having 1 car that does everything, which is what the GTS seems to be all about. Again I love that the GT3 exists and all but paying $130K to use a car like once or twice a week just seems crazy to me.

Plus again now with WFH and all that my % of "special" drives will probably remain much higher.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I lean towards just having 1 car that does everything, which is what the GTS seems to be all about.
      It sounds like a 911 of any sort isn't going to work for you. Sure, compared with a Cayman or GT series car, a GTS seems spacious. But compared with something actually designed to carry adult passengers and their stuff, the 911 isn't great. A 911 might work when your kids in booster seats and before they hit puberty, but once they start growing, you're going to need to saw off their legs. And even if you cram everyone into the car, what sort of roadtrip are you actually going to take? Good luck packing for an overnighter with a spouse and kids in a 911. For an afternoon on backroads, sure? But your kids aren't really going to enjoy being crammed in the back and you aren't going to enjoy the extra weight in the car.

If you want to take your family with you and have everyone in somewhat relative comfort, the 911 isn't really an option for you. The alternative options I noted in my previous post are likely the best balance for everyone. You don't need to get a SUV, even something like a M3 or similar would work. I remember being jammed in the back of my parents Corrado when I was like 12. Yeah I fit and I loved the car, but certainly didn't want to be stuck back there for hours at a time.

It sounds like a 911 of any sort isn't going to work for you. Sure, compared with a Cayman or GT series car, a GTS seems spacious. But compared with something actually designed to carry adult passengers and their stuff, the 911 isn't great. A 911 might work when your kids in booster seats and before they hit puberty, but once they start growing, you're going to need to saw off their legs. And even if you cram everyone into the car, what sort of roadtrip are you actually going to take? Good luck packing for an overnighter with a spouse and kids in a 911. For an afternoon on backroads, sure? But your kids aren't really going to enjoy being crammed in the back and you aren't going to enjoy the extra weight in the car.

If you want to take your family with you and have everyone in somewhat relative comfort, the 911 isn't really an option for you. The alternative options I noted in my previous post are likely the best balance for everyone. You don't need to get a SUV, even something like a M3 or similar would work. I remember being jammed in the back of my parents Corrado when I was like 12. Yeah I fit and I loved the car, but certainly didn't want to be stuck back there for hours at a time.
      Well to be fair we have more than one vehicle in the household, so we'd have a big family hauler for long family trips. For short jaunts with the kids or road trips alone with wifey the 911 would be the ride. I have access to some semi-fun roads on my commute as well. My kids are tiny now so I'd have time and by the time they're grown we'd prob move to a more fun family hauler and a full on sports car. IF we're talking $130K used sports cars I think that's like manual Ferrari/Lambo money anyway.

This sentiment always confuses me.

Do people not understand the difference between “I need a car that can carry my kids” and “I need my car to be my only family car for all occasions?”

I have a wife. She drives an SUV, which can be used for family trips, the daily slog, etc etc.

My car just needs to be “get the kids home from school or make a quick run to the store.”

A 911 can absolutely work as a car guy’s only car, when his wife drives a family car for most of the bigger duty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast