Maybe Another SchnellFowVay **** Show - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
      So, will you be suing ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      So, will you be suing ?
      Well, I haven't totally been denied service yet. I am paying them to at least do a diagnostic. If Audi denies it, I will pay the dealer out of pocket, and then I might.

But there will still a period where Audi and I will write angry letters back and forth. If that fails, then I may sue.

But we're still a good 4-8 weeks away from a lawsuit.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Well, I haven't totally been denied service yet. I am paying them to at least do a diagnostic. If Audi denies it, I will pay the dealer out of pocket, and then I might.

But there will still a period where Audi and I will write angry letters back and forth. If that fails, then I may sue.

But we're still a good 4-8 weeks away from a lawsuit.
      jesus.

at what point does the time wasted on being pedantic outweigh the cost of the work itself? it already sounds like you've wasted more time and energy on this than it's worth.
      welcome to the layer cake

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      jesus.

at what point does the time wasted on being pedantic outweigh the cost of the work itself? it already sounds like you've wasted more time and energy on this than it's worth.
      Well I need to get it fixed either way. So as I said, we'll see how it plays out.

jesus.

That's why I asked how much the repair costs and if an independent shop can do it. At some point, my time and aggravation is worth more than "winning" the fight.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

jesus.

How much does a thermostat replacement on an S3 cost? Also you have to factor in TCL entertainment value which surely outweighs the hours invested here.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      That's why I asked how much the repair costs and if an independent shop can do it. At some point, my time and aggravation is worth more than "winning" the fight.
      Again, all of this will be taken into account.

Let's just wait and see what the diagnosis is first, then I will make some decisions.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      How much does a thermostat replacement on an S3 cost? Also you have to factor in TCL entertainment value which surely outweighs the hours invested here.
      plus, when all youve got is a lawsuit hammer, everything looks like a litigation nail!

There are numerous DIYs for doing this yourself -- and it takes 4-6 hours to replace it (it is buried under tons of stuff that needs to be removed).

My guess is that the dealer will charge ~$2,000 for the job, and an indy would charge ~$1,200-1,400.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      plus, when all youve got is a lawsuit hammer, everything looks like a litigation nail!
      I mean, if they deny the warranty and won't negotiate with me . . . all that's left is the lawsuit hammer.

So here's the deal:

2) Car is not TD1'ed because it was never brought back to the dealer. It still retains the original (crappy) version 1 2016 software for the MMI and stereo. Never updated.

UPDATE

2) The car was TD1'd back in 2017, so they will not perform work on the car other than the service.
      /| OMGHAI |\ GFG/Marrakesh/6-spd/S

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      Just to clarify for the umpteenth time on here, I am a tax and estate planning lawyer. I don't litigate for a living (other than the occasional litigation in probate or with the IRS).

The only lawsuit that I have ever personally filed was over the Jeep Renegade Lemon Law thing.

But, this would be fairly interesting to me, forgetting about time and aggravation. People have been speculating, literally for 20+ years, on these forums, the effect of the M-M warranty act on something like this. This is a perfect scenario to test it out. Maybe it wont' be worth it, but part of the draw here certainly isn't an economic thing, it's a "let's see what happens" thing.

In the legal world we call this an excellent test case FWIW i had the water pump go on my Mk6 GTI that was stage 2 at that time right near the end of the warranty period. Dealer didn't bat an eye, just took car and replaced. It did take a couple of days due to availability so i had to rent a car, but nothing mentioned/discussed about the car mods since, presumably, it was a known failure issue.

There are numerous DIYs for doing this yourself -- and it takes 4-6 hours to replace it (it is buried under tons of stuff that needs to be removed).

My guess is that the dealer will charge ~$2,000 for the job, and an indy would charge ~$1,200-1,400.
      if only we had the technology to contact multiple dealers and indie shops for repair quotes!
      welcome to the layer cake

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      That was a lie that was told to me when I bought the car. I'm not the original owner. It's irrelevant, because it would have TD1'd the moment they plugged it in. I didn't try to put the car back to stock at all -- I'm not trying to be dishonest here.

if only we had the technology to contact multiple dealers and indie shops for repair quotes!
      Which is exactly what I will do if, in fact, they refuse to fix it. I don't even know what the problem is yet -- that's why I'm paying a diagnostic fee.

But if I pay the dealer to do it, it makes the lawsuit easier, and it also gives Audi the ability to "settle" this by simply comping me the service after the fact.

Audi is generally less likely to reimburse me for amounts paid to an indy shop.

SO I will likely have to pony up and pay dealer rates if I want to fight this.

Again, all of this will be taken into account.

Let's just wait and see what the diagnosis is first, then I will make some decisions.
      Just when this thread was about to peg the ****show-meter, out pops this little bit of refreshing logic.

This is why I've never been able to get on board with "luxury" brand vehicles. I've replaced thermostats on two different cars for under $50 and 10-15 minutes of work time. I just can't wrap my head around paying over $1,000 for something so basic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      This is why I've never been able to get on board with "luxury" brand vehicles. I've replaced thermostats on two different cars for under $50 and 10-15 minutes of work time. I just can't wrap my head around paying over $1,000 for something so basic.
      The issue isn't luxury branding, it's overly complicated German engineering. Remember the EA888 engine in the S3 is in lower priced non-luxury vehicles and while those cars have lower power outputs I'm sure they're still using the same thermostat in the same location.

Speaking of complicated German engineering we changed the cabin air filters on my wife's X3 this weekend. Yes filters as in plural. The car has 4 cabin air filters. Two filters for the outside air and two filters for the recirculated air. It's hilariously overengineered.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Just to clarify for the umpteenth time on here, I am a tax and estate planning lawyer. I don't litigate for a living (other than the occasional litigation in probate or with the IRS).

The only lawsuit that I have ever personally filed was over the Jeep Renegade Lemon Law thing.

But, this would be fairly interesting to me, forgetting about time and aggravation. People have been speculating, literally for 20+ years, on these forums, the effect of the M-M warranty act on something like this. This is a perfect scenario to test it out. Maybe it wont' be worth it, but part of the draw here certainly isn't an economic thing, it's a "let's see what happens" thing.
      It's interesting but understandable that the average person sees a "lawsuit" as a negative thing, instead of a necessary tool in our legal system that needs to be used when someone does not receive what they are LEGALLY entitled to.

But for all the M-M Act complaining in the automotive enthusiast world, there should be some good support for a case that challenges a dealership's policy of denying warranty claims. But instead it looks like "everybody wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster sh*t"...

Is it bad I'm reading this as good news because it means more entertainment coming soon?
      I think this is what we were all really hoping for.

The issue isn't luxury branding, it's overly complicated German engineering. Remember the EA888 engine in the S3 is in lower priced non-luxury vehicles and while those cars have lower power outputs I'm sure they're still using the same thermostat in the same location.

Speaking of complicated German engineering we changed the cabin air filters on my wife's X3 this weekend. Yes filters as in plural. The car has 4 cabin air filters. Two filters for the outside air and two filters for the recirculated air. It's hilariously overengineered.
      I guess luxury branded vehicles are more likely to have this sort of stuff going on. They tend to put more complicated designs (i.e. TTv6 motors, etc.) that result in complication and difficult access. You are right that the Germans love to over engineer things though.

This thread is relevant to my interests. I know Porsche is similarly (if not more) aggressive when it comes to denying warranty claims due to aftermarket modifications, so I'm curious to see how you navigate this.
      120 whp/L. >15 bar BMEP, N/A.
      --
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Butthurt Honda fanbois are butthrt their lawnmowers are overpriced. I was Stage 2 through a dealership with a full warranty so I don't see how it's not a fair comparison. But Honda bois just want to please Johnny Tran

So I'm guessing that works out to around 4 or 5 billable hours at your normal rate if you have the dealership do it? I imagine you'd spend almost that much time just sending angry letters back and forth, even more if you have to sue, plus filing fees, etc. Would Audi be required to pay costs and attorney's fees if you won?

I understand the legal issues and don't like AoA's warranty policies but this doesn't seem like a great use of your time and resources, especially if your VIN was blacklisted as far back as 2017.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      So I'm guessing that works out to around 4 or 5 billable hours at your normal rate if you have the dealership do it? I imagine you'd spend almost that much time just sending angry letters back and forth, even more if you have to sue, plus filing fees, etc. Would Audi be required to pay costs and attorney's fees if you won?

I understand the legal issues and don't like AoA's warranty policies but this doesn't seem like a great use of your time and resources, especially if your VIN was blacklisted as far back as 2017.
      I'm not doing this because it's a great use of my time. It's interesting to me.

I could have brought the car to an indy shop and just paid them to diagnose and fix it.

This is more of a "what would happen if . . . " type situation.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast