Welcome the Audi e-tron GT, with Soundaktor+
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Welcome the Audi e-tron GT, with Soundaktor+

Why not, we already have fake exhaust tips, fake vents, fake carbon fiber, fake aluminum trim, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is this going to be a cut-price Taycan or something totally different?

Electric vehicles present a really interesting void: what sound do you want to take place of combustion?

It will be very interesting to see what industry converges on as a sound of electric power.

part of me feels like it's just stupid to fake something to try to make up from its emotionless faction, and that electric cars should just embrace their own uniqueness.

...but the other part of me doesn't quite mind that they're trying to patch a combustionless hole with a designed soundtrack.

i'll have to hear it in person to judge. this might bother me less than fake exhaust tips.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Sound of SILENCE is one of the BIG feature for me to buy an EV.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      You don’t end up with silence, you end up hearing more of the road noise, tire roar, squeaks and rattles, the only thing that is really cut out is engine noise.
      His - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB | 17 Shelby GT350 | 87 Buick Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE
      Hers - 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by newusername View Post
      You don’t end up with silence, you end up hearing more of the road noise, tire roar, squeaks and rattles, the only thing that is really cut out is engine noise.
      i find cars nowadays are really well insulated; even the cheap mainstream brands. I'm sure Audis and Teslas are pretty quiet

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      i find cars nowadays are really well insulated; even the cheap mainstream brands. I'm sure Audis and Teslas are pretty quiet
      I disagree. I think we hit a peak last decade before automakers began cutting corners to save weight. My experience with several Model 3s indicates tire noise comes through quite easily.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

You can't have them too quiet, they need to make some noise so pedestrians can hear them. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48815968

Could have saved Audi time and money:

2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Meh. I would like to chose my sounds from the display based on my mood. Maybe on Monday I want a F1 sounding exhaust, Tuesday a Audi 20VT rally sound and Wednesday maybe silence when my wife is pissing me off and I am crunching divorce numbers. Worlds my oyster.
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      LOL at this. Poor NVH is one of Tesla's recognized shortcomings.

And please remember how NVH works: in a world of lots of sounds, the loudest is the most noticeable. Take that one way and another one becomes more noticeable.

EVs are not silent: in fact, removing combustion sounds means tire roar and wind noise become prevalent, and no car designer wants a car to sound like either of those.

And please remember how NVH works: in a world of lots of sounds, the loudest is the most noticeable. Take that one way and another one becomes more noticeable.

EVs are not silent: in fact, removing combustion sounds means tire roar and wind noise become prevalent, and no car designer wants a car to sound like either of those.
      good to know. i'm kinda happy i'm partially deaf and most cars feel perfectly fine to me. i don't think i'll be bothered by tire or wind noise, maybe i will.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich-chris View Post
      Is this going to be a cut-price Taycan or something totally different?

More or less, yes.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

It’s pretty quiet about town, but once you’re up over 50 it’s pretty bad in there. Last night my ears were ringing after racking up about 300 miles over the weekend, plus blasting a lot of Van Halen.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      MY SIL's new RAV4-H plays this weird high pitched artificial whine when running on battery. Sounds like a flying saucer from an old sci fi movie. It is not exactly grating but just annoying enough that you notice it when outside of the vehicle.

Didn't Michael Stipe from REM suggest a few years ago that hybrid and EV owners be able to download soundsfor their cars like we download ringtones for our phones? I think it would be pretty awesome to play old-timey circus calliope music while driving a Mustang-E.

"First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices