Got to drive a bucket-list car today (Dodge Viper content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got to drive a bucket-list car today (Dodge Viper content)

Got to check this off my bucket list today. Got to drive my buddies Viper after doing a detail on it. What a monster of a car!

This one is a 2001 Viper in a very rare Sapphire exterior/Cognac interior-less than 200 examples were produced.

450hp/490lb ft is hard to put into words. Coming from my Miata and GLI, the clutch felt like a 1970s Trans Am, but just engaging first gear felt like I could uproot an oak tree. But after than it just pulled relentlessly to redline. Each gear seemed as strong as the last. I can't imagine driving this anywhere near 10/10ths. It's incredible.

I can totally see why this was his dream car. NSX is next on my list. Anyone local to Concord, CA that want a detail and will allow a quick drive? Free photoshoot included

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 GTI

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What.. not even a quick video so we can enjoy the v10 goodness?
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Definitely one of the few vehicles that constantly reminds you it WILL kill you if you blink.

They are also pretty exhausting to operate for an extended amount of time, but they are for sure an automotive experience like no other! Glad you experienced one, they are getting pretty rare indeed.

My brother uncharacteristically purchased one new in the early '90s (has never been a sports car guy), loved it, we enjoyed driving it but it was absolutely a handful in any driving conditions. He had it a number of years, finally asked me if I wanted it (no), sold it to an associate of his who promptly totaled it. True Story...

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      What.. not even a quick video so we can enjoy the v10 goodness?
      Since I was behind the wheel, and it was my first time in the car, I decided against filming while driving.
      I did let the group down. Next time, I'll hand him the phone.

2016 GTI

Always wanted a go in one of these; I'm glad you got the opportunity, OP.

My father has one of these from new and I cant say enough how true what you said about the power levels of this ride.

These have power everywhere...reigning it in is tough, have definitely spun this bad boy more than once.

I LOVE this color combo.

Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      Since I was behind the wheel, and it was my first time in the car, I decided against filming while driving.

I'm sure there wouldn't have been ONE PERSON who would have objected to you filming while driving.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

I’m a total sucker for a GTS. Never really liked the RT/10 when new but that has got to be the prettiest RT/10 I’ve ever seen. They’re definitely growing on me as I get older and enter the target demographic. A buddy of mine has a blue/white stripe GTS he’s offered to let me drive someday. Can’t wait for someday to arrive! (Damn coronavirus!)

It's funny to hear you compare it to the NA Miata because my 2 current cars are a Gen 4 Viper and an NA Miata. The 2 cars are more similar than they appear at first glance, although the difference in the length of the clutch travel and effort required is comical. I always thought the 2nd generation that your friend has was arguably the best looking Viper, I used to dream about that car when I was in high school. Glad to hear that you and your friend are enjoying this awesome car
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

I want to like this, but I don't think that the interior has quite enough shiny black plastic .

I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      I had the opportunity to drive a first gen Viper back around the year 2000, what an insane machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
      I want to like this, but I don't think that the interior has quite enough shiny black plastic .

this signature kills fascists.

MUST NOT SLEEP, MUST WARN OTHERS.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Nice dude! Those things are a total handful, and a lot of fun. Modern day Cobra, in so much that everything you do that's fun is shadowed by the car wanting to put a knife in your back. My Uncles 2005 is a total *****cat in comparison to the earlier cars.

Ha. Small world. That's my business partners friends car. Business partner just texted me after seeing the RADwood post. I'll try to convince him to let you detail his 300ZX Turbo.
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 10-11-2020 at 05:27 PM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

That's awesome. Congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

These have aged so damn well, still look excellent

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I'm sure there wouldn't have been ONE PERSON who would have objected to you filming while driving.
      Johnny Law? He's a mother****er.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

I got to drive one around Watkins Glen and did an autoX there, then got a ride around Watkins Glen in an ACR.

I also had a neighbor DD his for two years.

Brutish, yet one hell of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post

pointy elbow comment, 6/10.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      This is fantastic. As others have said, all I've heard is that they're a total handful at 10/10ths, glad you got to play with one for a little while.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

I'm so jealous. My #1 dream car of all time. I really contemplated buying one a year ago but couldn't justify it. One day.

Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      I got to drive one around Watkins Glen and did an autoX there, then got a ride around Watkins Glen in an ACR.

I also had a neighbor DD his for two years.

Brutish, yet one hell of a ride.
      The ACR is one of my dream cars. There's a gentleman who brings his out to COTA. You can hear that thing screaming from 3 corners away before the last straight. It's an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      This is fantastic. As others have said, all I've heard is that they're a total handful at 10/10ths, glad you got to play with one for a little while.
      No driver's aids- no ABS, traction or stability control. If you mess up, it's all on you. Brutal cars that need to be treated with respect. Short wheelbase and a ton of torque make them tricky. Also, a lot of cars like this don't get driven a lot so the tires end up aging out before the tread looks worn out, so that's another thing to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post

No, don't get wrapped up in what the internet demands.
      Enjoy the drive.
      I meant just a start up, idle, and throttle blip.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      These have aged so damn well, still look excellent
      I see one in town here now and again, agree entirely though, they still look excellent today. I'd love to own one, but I fear I would probably wreck it.

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      I see one in town here now and again, agree entirely though, they still look excellent today. I'd love to own one, but I fear I would probably wreck it.
      They're not as scary as people make them out to be. Granted, I have a Gen IV which had ABS, but it didn't have any traction/stability control and has 150hp more than the Gen II. I've had it almost 6 years now, DD'd it for ~4 of those years and I haven't hit anything. Did spin out on the track at pretty high speed once but that was my fault, the car communicated that the tires were getting hot and greasy and I didn't listen
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast