Options for selling a 'less than perfect' set of alloys
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Options for selling a 'less than perfect' set of alloys

OK, here's the story. As I started working through the process of tackling the deferred maintenance on the Vantage I decided (as you do) to tackle the safety-critical stuff first. The 6 year old tires were one of the first things I replaced, and at that point I find out that one of the front wheels is slightly out of round. Not enough to be unsafe or unstable, but just enough to make balancing a pain. Couple this with the fact that a PO had clearly taken some finish off the front wheels in an effort to clean off the notorious levels of brake dust, I decided that it would be worth picking up a replacement set of wheels. I found a 'like new' set of refurbished OEM wheels on eBay, and pulled the trigger. In an effort to ward off brake dust pain, I ceramic coated them for good measure. In the process I noticed a couple of ugly welds, but nothing too serious. Two days later, a lightning storm passed through, and two days after that we were evacuated from the CZU Lightning Complex fires.

Fast forward three and a half weeks and we're back home and I can finally get an appointment to get the wheels installed. The tire shop owner points out the less than perfect refurbishment work, but tells me that there are no safety concerns with the wheels. An hour or so later he tells me that the wheels won't fit on the hubs, likely due to the paint being too thick and needing to be ground back. At that point I just think, "f**k it - I'll get my money back". Turns out that the eBay seller refuses to take the wheels back as we're past the 30 day eBay return period, so it looks like I'm stuck with the wheels. I've tried a few wheel buyers, and none have taken a bite yet as I was very up-front about the condition of the wheels. And I'm guessing the market for used AM wheels is quite small.

So do I just see what kind of scrap value I can get for them? They can very likely be refurbished again by someone who knows what they're doing, but I will likely just end up refurbishing the original wheels which are ironically in better shape.

For anyone wanting the wheel specifications, you can find them here - https://www.wheel-size.com/size/asto...-vantage/2007/ (mine are the 19s (235 font, 275 rear)).
      Last edited by SLVRon; 10-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd imagine you could post that on some facebook group and some kid will still them on his rotting mk4 golf
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      PM EuroAtomic. He took my E9 up to a place in Sac years ago to mill the hubs down to get the wheels to tuck under my rolled fenders. While there wasn't enough meat to take off, it was a place that handled wheel issues, and they were highly recommended. I just forget the name of them. I say send the wheels off to them, get them cleaned up, and then install them as expected.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

In my opinion you can try Facebook Marketplace. You may also look for interested Facebook Groups. For sure you've also thought ebay or similar websites. Do you know any mechanic or anybody who would be interested in these? The more sources, the better

Facebook Marketplace, car parts sell like hot potatoes over there.

Also any local online website. I am able to sell things I didn't think people would want...

Hold on, what? You’re going to scrap a set of AM wheels because the paint is too thick on the hub center? Find a machine shop to clean up the bores. Have them face the hub mounting pad, too and clean up the bores of the wheel studs too.

It’s just paint they’re removing, there’s no structural risk here. In fact, it’ll be better to not have the hub sitting on thick paint.

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      OK, here's the story. As I started working through the process of tackling the deferred maintenance on the Vantage I decided (as you do) to tackle the safety-critical stuff first. The 6 year old tires were one of the first things I replaced, and at that point I find out that one of the front wheels is slightly out of round. Not enough to be unsafe or unstable, but just enough to make balancing a pain. Couple this with the fact that a PO had clearly taken some finish off the front wheels in an effort to clean off the notorious levels of brake dust, I decided that it would be worth picking up a replacement set of wheels. I found a 'like new' set of refurbished OEM wheels on eBay, and pulled the trigger. In an effort to ward off brake dust pain, I ceramic coated them for good measure. In the process I noticed a couple of ugly welds, but nothing too serious. Two days later, a lightning storm passed through, and two days after that we were evacuated from the CZU Lightning Complex fires.

How were these wheels refurbished? I would hope to find zero noticeable welds on my wheels.

BTW, those wheels are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Hold on, what? You’re going to scrap a set of AM wheels because the paint is too thick on the hub center? Find a machine shop to clean up the bores. Have them face the hub mounting pad, too and clean up the bores of the wheel studs too.

It’s just paint they’re removing, there’s no structural risk here. In fact, it’ll be better to not have the hub sitting on thick paint.
      Unless I'm missing something (quite likely), this is my thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post

How were these wheels refurbished? I would hope to find zero noticeable welds on my wheels.

BTW, those wheels are beautiful.
      FTFY - Those wheels are beautiful from the front.

Turns out that the photos in the listing showing the interior were deliberately cropped, or these are an entirely different set of wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by SLVRon; 10-12-2020 at 11:31 AM.

They'd make a great coffee table.

Having lived in Pittsburgh and Dallas I'm very familiar with wheel repair and none of these damages concern me. I would just find a good wheel repair shop, get all wheels brought back up to spec (fix wheels that are out of round, grind down welds/inspect for cracks, refinish faces, etc.) and sell the Ebay wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

If the damage was deliberately hidden, you can probably file a claim with Ebay.
      We are buying cars! If you have an exceptional classic/collector/enthusiast vehicle of any generation, please DM me! www.hymanltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      If the damage was deliberately hidden, you can probably file a claim with Ebay.
      The only thing I can find is a return request - that went directly to the seller who shut it down. eBay will only step in if you are within that 30 day window.

Last edited by SLVRon; 10-12-2020 at 12:36 PM.

FTFY - Those wheels are beautiful from the front.

Turns out that the photos in the listing showing the interior were deliberately cropped, or these are an entirely different set of wheels.
      Sucks that someone went through the trouble to weld repair a wheel but not grind the weld flush before repainting. Very poor effort, and it must make balancing a bit difficult.

But worst of all, REALLY sucks that someone did that and hide that during the sale.

OP, I feel for you. You're stuck trying to be ethical in response to that unethical misrepresentation. Uggh.

The only thing I can find is a return request - that went directly to the seller who shut it down. eBay will only step in if you are within that 30 day window.

I'd just call them. 1 (866) 540-3229 is the # that comes up on google
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars