How long to wait to buy gas after a filling station refills their underground tanks
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How long to wait to buy gas after a filling station refills their underground tanks

It used to be "common knowledge" that you shouldn't buy gasoline right after a station refilled their underground tanks. The common thinking was that the filling process would stir up water and suspended contaminants in the underground tank. Then, after a period of time, the contaminants would settle to the bottom of the storage tank and the pump would again deliver clean gasoline.

I think of this often when I drive to Costco to buy gasoline, only to discover that a tanker truck is at work, filling the underground storage tanks. Costco sells A LOT of gasoline, so they frequently need replenishment. And I always leave without buying.

It's clear that present-day engines with FI are equipped with extremely efficient fuel filters. And, honestly, I don't think I've recently heard anyone saying that their vehicle was harmed by dirty fuel.

So, is there any truth today to the "old wive's tale" or not?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Almost definitely an old wives tale
      2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq

The pump has a filter as does your vehicle
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

If in doubt, I take a little sip from the pump and swish it around in my mouth to verify purity before filling up.

I'm watching you, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      A true TCLer only buys gas on Friday.
      this signature kills fascists.

MUST NOT SLEEP, MUST WARN OTHERS.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by scribe42 View Post
      It used to be "common knowledge" that you shouldn't buy gasoline right after a station refilled their underground tanks. The common thinking was that the filling process would stir up water and suspended contaminants in the underground tank. Then, after a period of time, the contaminants would settle to the bottom of the storage tank and the pump would again deliver clean gasoline.

I think of this often when I drive to Costco to buy gasoline, only to discover that a tanker truck is at work, filling the underground storage tanks. Costco sells A LOT of gasoline, so they frequently need replenishment. And I always leave without buying.

It's clear that present-day engines with FI are equipped with extremely efficient fuel filters. And, honestly, I don't think I've recently heard anyone saying that their vehicle was harmed by dirty fuel.

So, is there any truth today to the "old wive's tale" or not?
      bolded to answer your question

you should get gas directly from the tanker and bypass the underground tank issue

I don't care about this, but if I end up at a station and it is pumping extremely slowly (like 1 gallon/minute) I will buy a couple bucks' worth and then go to the next one down the road.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
      you should get gas directly from the tanker and bypass the underground tank issue
      I actually fill up at the port direct from the ships.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

I don't like to fill up when the truck is there filling the tanks, but that's more of an internal paranoia than anything. plus I usually fill up when my vehicles get to a quarter tank, so it's never critical.
      welcome to the layer cake

At least 6 weeks.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

I usually look to fill up when I've got just over 1/4 tank of gas; if I see a tanker at my preferred gas station, I leave it for the day after.
      I don't know how true it is or not, but I've heard somewhere that letting your gas tank too low can overexert your LPFP.
      I don't mind having to fill up a little more often than the average driver.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I don't care about this, but if I end up at a station and it is pumping extremely slowly (like 1 gallon/minute) I will buy a couple bucks' worth and then go to the next one down the road.
      This - so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      I don't like to fill up when the truck is there filling the tanks, but that's more of an internal paranoia than anything. plus I usually fill up when my vehicles get to a quarter tank, so it's never critical.
      And this. As a rule of thumb I try not to be in the general area when large volumes of flammable liquid are being transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      I actually fill up at the port direct from the ships.
      I drive to West Texas every week to get my own West Texas crude for my basement refinery.

I used to have my own dinosaur but he died and isn’t ready for oil yet.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      From two summers on a fuel dock: the issue is pretty much always the user. Release the handle, wait 30 seconds, and try again. It'll speed up.
      2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq

only during a solar eclipse and if you wear one of these will you be fine

Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      In addition to this, the filter will swell when in contact with water which will prevent it from getting in your car.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

This. Some friends and I go out every couple months or so and acquire a tanker.

2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

You will never get gas then. Stations get deliveries everyday, my work delivers gas to stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Granted I've never given gas pumps much if any thought, I never knew they had fuel filters in there. Makes sense. Found a pic..

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      my Dad had taught me this about waiting.....I asked a tanker guy and believed him when he said just buy gas and don't worry about it.
      This year the truly scary costumes don't have a mask

Not much to worry about at Costco since they refill the tanks frequently and many members are pumping the mixed crap into their cars. Probably the cleanest tanks of all gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I drive to West Texas every week to get my own West Texas crude for my basement refinery.

I used to have my own dinosaur but he died and isn’t ready for oil yet.

Bravo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Granted I've never given gas pumps much if any thought, I never knew they had fuel filters in there. Makes sense. Found a pic..
      +1

To piggyback on this, since the consensus is it doesn't matter, does the old rule get fuel from the newest station with the newest tanks meet with the same response?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

^this, but only after the tanker has been stationary several days to allow sediment to fall to the bottom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast