How long to wait to buy gas after a filling station refills their underground tanks - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      +1

To piggyback on this, since the consensus is it doesn't matter, does the old rule get fuel from the newest station with the newest tanks meet with the same response?
      New station doesn't necessarily mean new tanks, that's a lot of money to spend digging up tanks and replacing them.

I usually have a preference of shopping for a corporate branded/clean store as its possible they have the newer encrypted keypads/card readers on the pumps in addition to a normal maintenance schedule on the dispensers.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Personally I just fill up gas tanks and leave them outside for several years before I actually use the gas. Gas is like a fine wine, you have to age it first.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Before the 1980ies, yes, you would have to worry about these things.

These days? Not so much. Not since underground tank regulations came into effect. I think they were last updated in 2015, which put a lot of small stations out of business.

That said, while fuel filling stations have filter systems, the filters are not replaced often enough.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      If your car plugged in at home you wouldn't have to buy any gas.

This thread is DIW.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post

This thread is DIW.
      Winning

Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post

This thread is DIW.
      But what about suspended contaminants in the electrical tank? And does your battery even have a filter?

Thank you, OP, for asking this question. My dad and step-brother have made me paranoid for my entire life, so I don't think I'll worry about this anymore.

Last edited by MontoyaF1; 10-12-2020 at 01:20 PM.
      Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      But what about suspended contaminants in the electrical tank? And does your battery even have a filter?
      My electrical tanks get their juice from only the cleanest juice plants. They do all the filtering at the plant before it gets sent to the tanks.

Instagram - efrie004

You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cabin pics View Post
      my electrical tanks get their juice from only the cleanest juice plants. They do all the filtering at the plant before it gets sent to the tanks.

ftfy :p
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      I actually fill up at the port direct from the ships.
      i tugboat my car out to the ship and fill up before the somali pirates get to the ship

Last edited by puma1552; 10-12-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      i tugboat my car out to the ship and fill up before the somali pirates get to the ship
      Fighting off pirates is part of the fun!
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      From two summers on a fuel dock: the issue is pretty much always the user. Release the handle, wait 30 seconds, and try again. It'll speed up.
      No, it usually means their filter needs to be changed. IIRC someone also once told me if the tanks are filled to high it can cause the slowdown as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      No, it usually means their filter needs to be changed. IIRC someone also once told me if the tanks are filled to high it can cause the slowdown as well.
      Yeah, it only happens to me at small/old stations out in the country, never at Costco or QuikTrip.

I have had a few cars where you have to sort of lean/prop the nozzle out slightly to get full flow, and this isn't that kind of situation.

Basically, I don't want their dregs so I move on if possible.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by scribe42 View Post
      It used to be "common knowledge" that you shouldn't buy gasoline right after a station refilled their underground tanks. The common thinking was that the filling process would stir up water and suspended contaminants in the underground tank. Then, after a period of time, the contaminants would settle to the bottom of the storage tank and the pump would again deliver clean gasoline.

I think of this often when I drive to Costco to buy gasoline, only to discover that a tanker truck is at work, filling the underground storage tanks. Costco sells A LOT of gasoline, so they frequently need replenishment. And I always leave without buying.

It's clear that present-day engines with FI are equipped with extremely efficient fuel filters. And, honestly, I don't think I've recently heard anyone saying that their vehicle was harmed by dirty fuel.

So, is there any truth today to the "old wive's tale" or not?
      The contaminants stirred up in the dispensing tank that get passed through the hose into your vehicle's gas tank can be mitigated (eliminated) with a copious amount of sugar. Once inside the tank, the sugar, or rather "sugar alcohol", breaks down and the caustic sugar hydrocarbon disintegrates the impurities (much like how Coke can dissolve a tooth in a day), while the alcohol helps aid in higher octane and better fuel economy.

The rule of thumb (based on octane) is roughly 1 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of gas capacity. So a 14 gallon tank would require 14 cups.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      The contaminants stirred up in the dispensing tank that get passed through the hose into your vehicle's gas tank can be mitigated (eliminated) with a copious amount of sugar. Once inside the tank, the sugar, or rather "sugar alcohol", breaks down and the caustic sugar hydrocarbon disintegrates the impurities (much like how Coke can dissolve a tooth in a day), while the alcohol helps aid in higher octane and better fuel economy.

The rule of thumb (based on octane) is roughly 1 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of gas capacity. So a 14 gallon tank would require 14 cups.
      You didn't need to tell us this. It is common knowledge.

The tanker has a sock. The station has a sock. Your vehicle has a sock. There's no chance of dregs fouling up your fuel injected vehicle even if you fill up with the tanker filling up the station at the exact same time. Old wives' tales.

And stop with the 3,000 mile oil changes, too. It's damn-near 2021, we should all stop living in the mid-20th Century already...

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      This should help with electrical tank contaminants.

I think of this often when I drive to Costco to buy gasoline, only to discover that a tanker truck is at work, filling the underground storage tanks. Costco sells A LOT of gasoline, so they frequently need replenishment. And I always leave without buying.
      I buy gasoline frequently from Costco. You are correct, the tanker truck is there often. I have never had a problem with Costco gasoline, so I hope all is well with using it. The supply is certainly fresh, since they sell so much.

I have more concerns at small gas stations that look like they may be poorly maintained, and not sell very much gasoline. Yes, there are fuel filtration and storage tank regulations, but...

I also try to keep my gas tank above the 1/2 mark. If I get some questionable quality gasoline, I don’t have a full tank of it.

A few years ago I bought a partial tank full of Pemex (national gasoline of México) that I thought was bad. It was diluted by good gasoline, since my tank was already partially full; so I was very lucky. I changed my fuel filter soon after that.

Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 2021 Atlas 4-Motion;
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

Supposedly the worst gas you can purchase is in Tucson, Arizona as per the routing, purchase orders & being regionally located the tankers dump their tanks there before heading back to Texas.

Not one time ever, on all my vehicles, had a clogged or compromised fuel filter, injectors, messed up CIS(E), efi system or carb.

I have filled up numerous times while tanker truck unloading. Couldn't tell a difference from filling up when tanker wasn't there.

There is nothing “wives tailish” about it—sediment and condensation are definitely real issues, it’s just that modern stations have high turnover and fuel transfer practices have (supposedly) improved over time. There was a time not so long ago it was a roll of the dice refuelling at a remote station. I’ve had to change fuel filters and drain water lots of times from oil/water separators on diesels and when you do this on a regular basis it’s obvious when you’ve had a tank from a suspect source. Caterpillar even put out a video on how long you should wait before transferring fuel after receiving a delivery to a remote tank...I looked but couldn’t find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      sediment and condensation are definitely real issues, it’s just that modern stations have high turnover and fuel transfer practices have (supposedly) improved over time.

Despite what has been shared here, I'll still wait until the next day to fill up if I'm set on using a certain station. Generally though I will just fill up somewhere that there is no truck currently delivering fuel. It could have left 10 minutes before I got there for all I know, but most likely not? So the real answer for me is I will still try to avoid filling up while a delivery is actually taking place.
      "It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

If the trucks are always there stirring up the crap - and the sediment then gets pumped into cars - Where's the new sediment coming from? By that logic, the trucks must be pumping garbage into the tanks. Doesn't make sense man.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post

I used to have my own dinosaur but he died and isn’t ready for oil yet.
      You win

The only time I'd be wary is in the winter. Since the mandated ethanol BS in gas, during the filing of the tanks in winter the agitation can stir up the fuel and you can get phase separation. The alcohol and water and gasoline will separate into layers and you do NOT want to deal with that. I've had it happen twice in cars and had to drain the tanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast