How long to wait to buy gas after a filling station refills their underground tanks - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Granted I've never given gas pumps much if any thought, I never knew they had fuel filters in there. Makes sense. Found a pic..
      Ah, but many stations are lazy about changing these. When the gas pump is unusually slow - it's the damn filter needing to be replaced. Costco makes a big deal of the fact that they change their filters frequently (which probably merely means when they're actually due to be changed). You won't find a slow pump at Costco. Ever.

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Ah, but many stations are lazy about changing these. When the gas pump is unusually slow - it's the damn filter needing to be replaced. Costco makes a big deal of the fact that they change their filters frequently (which probably merely means when they're actually due to be changed). You won't find a slow pump at Costco. Ever.
      Lies.

The Redmond Costco, which is less than 5 years old, has an overload problem. There is a noticeable uptick when the person who's sharing the pump on the other side finishes. But due to the constant lines, the pumps are never flowing 100%. I haven't experience the excruciating "I can count faster than the thousandths of gallons meter" at Costco (Usually Chevron or Fred Meyer).
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
      If the trucks are always there stirring up the crap - and the sediment then gets pumped into cars - Where's the new sediment coming from? By that logic, the trucks must be pumping garbage into the tanks. Doesn't make sense man.
      Dust doesn’t make sense either but every 4 months when I vacuum, there it is
      "It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      You're just picking up dead pieces of yourself -- skin, namely. It's got to be the dead pieces of the dinosaurs that get into the tanks, then.

I get gas after my swim after i've waited an hour after eating.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      My electrical tanks get their juice from only the cleanest juice plants. They do all the filtering at the plant before it gets sent to the tanks.

**** yea

i mean id rather have people die than otters , theyre too ****ing cute

Quote Originally Posted by AHTOXA View Post
      You're just picking up dead pieces of yourself -- skin, namely. It's got to be the dead pieces of the dinosaurs that get into the tanks, then.
      Really makes you wonder why they waste time filtering it if it’s always completely pure though
      "It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Winning

I like that ball thing on your windshield. I’m guessing that is a homemade parking indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I like that ball thing on your windshield. I’m guessing that is a homemade parking indicator?
      Clearly you've never played hacky sack?

Definitely I wait longer than this. Takes a little longer to get the nozzle seated but it's time well spent.
      Last edited by ghost03; 10-13-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      looks like somebody didn't go to college in the 90s!!

Quote Originally Posted by The A1 and A2 German View Post
      Supposedly the worst gas you can purchase is in Tucson, Arizona as per the routing, purchase orders & being regionally located the tankers dump their tanks there before heading back to Texas.

Not one time ever, on all my vehicles, had a clogged or compromised fuel filter, injectors, messed up CIS(E), efi system or carb.

Umm - I doubt tanker trucks are driving 6+ hours from Texas to deliver fuel to Tucson. There are pipelines that bring fuel to metro areas including Tucson which has them from Texas and California.

Despite what has been shared here, I'll still wait until the next day to fill up if I'm set on using a certain station. Generally though I will just fill up somewhere that there is no truck currently delivering fuel. It could have left 10 minutes before I got there for all I know, but most likely not? So the real answer for me is I will still try to avoid filling up while a delivery is actually taking place.
      What would you do if the tanker truck left 15 minutes and you have no idea?

Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      What would you do if the tanker truck left 15 minutes and you have no idea?
      A. fill up anyway and never know

B. Change my fuel filter on the side of the road when the car grinds to a halt?

Probably just A

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Yup, hacky sack parking indicator. Center on steering wheel. Let it touch the windshield. Then kick it from right to left foot.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
      If the trucks are always there stirring up the crap - and the sediment then gets pumped into cars - Where's the new sediment coming from? By that logic, the trucks must be pumping garbage into the tanks. Doesn't make sense man.
      These are just conspiracies the media WANTS you to talk about to deter you from the real narrative.

*tinfoil hat*
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

looks like somebody didn't go to college in the 90s!!
      Right?

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Yup, hacky sack parking indicator. Center on steering wheel. Let it touch the windshield. Then kick it from right to left foot.
      I like the idea. And I happen to have a rarely used hacky sack.

I like the idea. And I happen to have a rarely used hacky sack.
      'rarely used hacky sack' is like 'assless leather chaps': aren't they all like that?

And I use a tennis ball as a parking aid like this, except I set mine up to hit the lower intersection of the A pillar and the windshield:

Thats why good filling stations only take fuel from the top of the tanks...

Buy gas??

1) move next door to a family with a lot of cars
      2) buy a 100 ft garden hose
      3) keep a pack of mint gum nearby
      4) overhear neighbors talk about the crap gas mileage their cars get
      5) profit

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxBill View Post
      Thats why good filling stations only take fuel from the top of the tanks...
      The pickup for every tank is about a foot off the bottom as not to suck up the debris and water.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      The pickup for every tank is about a foot off the bottom as not to suck up the debris and water.
      A lot of the newer glass lined tanks have a floating pickup and also have a sediment channel that gets pumped to remove water from condensation and solid debris. The better ones are positively pressurized with an inert gas now too.
      The reason for this is again the stupid decision to put ethanol in gas which rapidly corrodes the casings around the pumps and the walls >1mm per year. It also has created a problem with bacteria ( Acetobacter aceti ) that have evolved to eat the ethanol and releasing a acetic acid that further contributes to the rapid corrosion. Most of the "sediment" in tanks is a product of the corrosion, not wayward dirt. It's chunks of rust.

Did the EPA require all US underground pumps be replaced in the 2000s to keep MTBEs from leaching into surrounding groundwater?
      So it's not like you are dealing with 30 year old underground tanks now, and the possible debris that can happen if they are deteriorating.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
      you should get gas directly from the tanker and bypass the underground tank issue
      Just be careful doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      A lot of the newer glass lined tanks have a floating pickup and also have a sediment channel that gets pumped to remove water from condensation and solid debris. The better ones are positively pressurized with an inert gas now too.
      The reason for this is again the stupid decision to put ethanol in gas which rapidly corrodes the casings around the pumps and the walls >1mm per year. It also has created a problem with bacteria ( Acetobacter aceti ) that have evolved to eat the ethanol and releasing a acetic acid that further contributes to the rapid corrosion. Most of the "sediment" in tanks is a product of the corrosion, not wayward dirt. It's chunks of rust.
      Largely true. It's not quite 1mm, though, but it is measurable and considered excessive by engineering standards.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

I wait after heavy rainfalls, there is one station up near us which seems to have a history of water in the tanks and ruining cars.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast