2022 Volkswagen Taos revealed with in-betweener compact size and rugged styling cues
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

2022 Volkswagen Taos revealed with in-betweener compact size and rugged styling cues

It slots below the Tiguan and is roughly the size of a Kia Seltos and Chevy Trailblazer

Volkswagen is expanding its crossover lineup with the compact 2021 VW Taos. Although it is instantly recognizable as a Volkswagen with plenty of styling cues shared with the Tiguan and Atlas Grand Sport, the Taos gets VW's new horizontal LED lighting strip across its grille on the range-topping SEL (see the ID.4) plus a variety of pseudo rugged styling flourishes on every trim. These include black plastic lower cladding and fender flares, raised roof rails, and alloy trim on the front and rear bumpers that mimic skid plates. Besides serving as an obvious point of difference with the more traditional, family-friendly Tiguan, this more rugged look is the telltale sign that the Taos was designed specifically for the North American market where outdoorsy-themed models like the Subaru Crosstrek and Toyota RAV4 Adventure are booming.

Volkswagen's flexible MQB architecture underpins the Taos, which stretches 175.8 inches from end to end, 72.5 inches wide, and 64.4 inches tall. For context, it's about 9.3 inches shorter than a Tiguan, and only a couple inches longer than the growing list of "in-betweener" crossovers that bridge the gap between subcompact and compact choices. These include the Kia Seltos, Chevy Trailblazer and Jeep Compass. Its cargo capacity is consistent with those, too, as there is 28.1 cubic feet with five adults on board and 66.3 cubes with the second-row seats folded flat. Back seat legroom is 37.9 inches.

From the driver seat, horizontal lines on the dashboard emphasize the crossover's width, and the basic layout looks familiar if you've seen the most recent Volkswagen Jetta. A 6.5-inch touchscreen is standard on the base Taos S, while the SE SEL get an 8-inch unit running Volkswagen's latest MIB3 infotainment system. Every Taos also gets an all-digital instrument panel measuring either a standard 8 inches or 10.25 inches on the range-topping SEL.

Other standard features include two-tone cloth upholstery, automatic headlights, and a push-button ignition. An in-car Wi-Fi connection is included, too, though staying connected on-the-go requires a data plan. Motorists able to spend more can unlock features like leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, rain-sensing wipers, a navigation system, plus a wireless device charger.

Volkswagen notes that the Taos is "available" with the IQ.DRIVE package of electronic driving aids, including forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot warning, and adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go capability. Of course, "available" means that those features are optional, whereas most competitors at least include forward collision warning and automatic braking as standard equipment.

As we've already reported, the Taos uses a fuel-sipping evolution of the Jetta's 1.4-liter turbocharged engine. Enlarged to 1.5 liters and modified to run a modified Miller cycle, the new four-cylinder produces 158 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. It spins the front wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission in its standard configuration, while the optional 4Motion all-wheel-drive system brings with it a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic as well as a more sophisticated multi-link rear suspension. The front-drive Taos has a torsion beam at the back.

Despite the rugged look, the Taos shouldn't be considered for anything but the lightest of off-road duty. Volkswagen didn't specify ground clearance, but it doesn't look especially lofty. The company did indicate, however, that it is still considering a more capable trim level along the lines of the Toyota RAV4 Adventure or Jeep's Trailhawk trims.

Built in Puebla, Mexico, along with the Jetta and Tiguan, the 2022 Volkswagen Taos will arrive in showrooms in the summer of 2021. Buyers will initially have three trim levels named S, SE, and SEL, respectively, to choose from. Pricing information will be announced closer to the crossover's on-sale date, but Volkswagen indicated during a presentation to journalists Friday that we can expect it to start around $3,000 less than the Tiguan, give or take a few hundred dollars. That would put the starting price around $22,000, and therefore inline with the Kia Seltos, Subaru Crosstrek and Jeep Compass.

As for the name, the Taos follows the Tiguan and discontinued Touareg as Volkswagen crossovers with T names that are difficult to pronounce (Atlas is the non-T outlier). While the Touareg was named after a nomadic North African people and Tiguan is the combination of the words "tiger" and "iguana" (seriously, that isn't a joke), the name Taos is borrowed from a picturesque small town in northern New Mexico and is pronounced like "house."
      https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/13/...taos-revealed/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"compact size". Well, by American standards anyway.

I don't really see anything that sets it apart from other jellybeans.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

No 1.8/2.0, no thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

generic and cheap looking, in a kia seltos kind of way. shame. another stupid ass name too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post

CUVid19

The worst plague we have in the USA is the proliferation of boring, copycat CUVs...21 century malaise era vehicles...

At this point I'm really surprised that the market is big enough to justify them all. I don't think it is, especially with the
      economic turmoil that is soon to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake White View Post
      CUVid19

The worst plague we have in the USA is the proliferation of boring, copycat CUVs...21 century malaise era vehicles...

At this point I'm really surprised that the market is big enough to justify them all. I don't think it is, especially with the
      economic turmoil that is soon to come.
      This isn’t a defense of the Taos, but rather of the CUV segment.
      I’m not sure why it’s difficult to accept the proliferation of CUVs and their marketplace acceptance?
      The sedan segment probably still has an equal or more number of overall vehicles, yet nobody complains or complained
      about the sedan market being saturated. At least in the US, VW will still sell you an equal number of traditional cars to match its CUVs.

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      I guess the definition of "rugged" has many meanings.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      This isn’t a defense of the Taos, but rather of the CUV segment.
      I’m not sure why it’s difficult to accept the proliferation of CUVs and their marketplace acceptance?
      The sedan segment probably still has an equal or more number of overall vehicles, yet nobody complains or complained
      about the sedan market being saturated. At least in the US, VW will still sell you an equal number of traditional cars to match its CUVs.
      Because just look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I guess the definition of "rugged" has many meanings.
      Yeah, my thoughts too.

Though I do like the blue, maybe in DSG/4Mo form it could be a nice driving DD. Now would it look better lowered, or lifted with steelies?

Lol, rugged. I think that's quite possibly the best definition of anathema to rugged.

so the USA gets the long wheelbase Tiguan, but instead of just giving the option of the short wheelbase model, they actually designed a new vehicle that's about the same size as the short wheelbase??

why???

Quote Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
      so the USA gets the long wheelbase Tiguan, but instead of just giving the option of the short wheelbase model, they actually designed a new vehicle that's about the same size as the short wheelbase??

why???
      It's complicated. If they have to explain it, then engineer and marketing speak will be used, which is obviously too much for us.

It literally has a name that you are expecting to be on a Hyundai or a Kia.
      Yarp or narp?

why???
      The Taos is cheaper to build. And it's not the same size as the SWB Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by ClownCar View Post
      It literally has a name that you are expecting to be on a Hyundai or a Kia.
      Such an Inseltos.

Mmm... VW tacos...

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Mmm... VW tacos...
      They wouldn't be hard to shell.

Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      The Taos is cheaper to build. And it's not the same size as the SWB Tiguan
      We have a winner! The short wheelbase Tiguan would cost almost exactly the same to build, as there would be an identical number of processes and the parts, other than the few larger ones, would be identical. This affords the opportunity to build a simpler car with less expensive materials.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      This affords the opportunity to build a simpler car with less expensive materials.
      but more RUGGED!

I swear more and more of these German CUV's are looking more Asian

If you took the badge off this car I would have sworn it's a Suzuki or a Hyundai/Kia

but more RUGGED!
      It doesn't say it's "more rugged", it says it has "rugged styling cues". That's a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post

It's a VW. Plus it's a mainstream vehicle. It doesn't have to stand out. It just has to be competitive.

Why does this exist? So that people who walk into a VW dealership looking for a jelly bean of this size have something to buy. It's not complicated
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      it says it has "rugged styling cues"
      Well then. I stand corrected. While wearing my rugged-styled shirt and pants.

why???
      1. It's not a new vehicle. It's a mildly rebadged SEAT Ateca which has been for sale for 4 years. It's also sold as VW Tharu in China for the last 3 yerars, and as Jetta VS5 the last 2 years.

2. SWB Tiguan is still bigger than Taos. Not by much but SWB Tiguan is considered by VW as a premium vehicle for high income countries. Low income developing countries get Tharu/Taos.

Think of SWB Tiguan as fancy Renault and Taos as basic Dacia. The implication of where VW think USA belongs in the pantheon of nations is obvious

VW line up:
      B short: T-Cross
      B long: T-Roc
      B coupe: Nivus
      C short: Tharu/Taos
      C long 5 seat: Tiguan/Tayron
      C long 7 seat: Tiguan All Space
      C coupe: Tiguan X/Tayron X
      C EV: ID.4
      D short: Atlas Sport
      D long: Touareg
      E: Atlas/Terramont
      Last edited by bzcat; 10-14-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Well then. I stand corrected. While wearing my rugged-styled shirt and pants.
      And to expand the allegory, you're wearing regular sneakers with pretend camping clothes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast